The Student Room Group

Degree apprenticeship 2019 applicant thread-

Hi, since applying to apprenticeships are sort of still a very new thing to most I thought I’d make a thread so we could all help each other and check if we apply for similar apprenticeships and if anyone gets interviews etc before others and what their experience was.

Anyone’s welcome and current apprentices advice would be highly appreciated I just thought this would be useful to current applicants to deal with worries.

I am planning on applying mainly to the digital and technological solutions degree apprenticeship with Maybe also applying to the chartered manager degree apprenticeships. Both starting hopefully in late 2019.

Just a quick introduction- I’m doing A-level biology, English language and sociology. And got A,B,A.

I have seen some brill responses from current apprentices and so I would highly appreciate if you could share some wisdom this year as well.

Some quick questions If you want to make yourself known- what subjects do you do, which degree apprenticeship are you applying for and why did you pick that’s degree apprenticeship.

Thanks and hope to see you all in the thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey! I'm doing A-level Physics, History and Politics. I'm getting my predicteds once we get back to college.

I'm applying for the digital and technological solutions degree apprenticeships as well, but I'm also considering software development ones, still need to get on that research lol

I did some work experience at Accenture and was really set on their degree apprentiship, till i found out their provider was UEL (no shade to UEL or anything, it's just not where i see myself necessarily) and now I'm looking more at the employers who work with QMUL: Goldman Sachs, IBM, BBC etc.

Original post by Saleh2715518197
Hi, since applying to apprenticeships are sort of still a very new thing to most I thought I’d make a thread so we could all help each other and check if we apply for similar apprenticeships and if anyone gets interviews etc before others and what their experience was.

Anyone’s welcome and current apprentices advice would be highly appreciated I just thought this would be useful to current applicants to deal with worries.

I am planning on applying mainly to the digital and technological solutions degree apprenticeship with Maybe also applying to the chartered manager degree apprenticeships. Both starting hopefully in late 2019.

Just a quick introduction- I’m doing A-level biology, English language and sociology. And got A,B,A.

I have seen some brill responses from current apprentices and so I would highly appreciate if you could share some wisdom this year as well.

Some quick questions If you want to make yourself known- what subjects do you do, which degree apprenticeship are you applying for and why did you pick that’s degree apprenticeship.

Thanks and hope to see you all in the thread!
Original post by a.mara
Hey! I'm doing A-level Physics, History and Politics. I'm getting my predicteds once we get back to college.

I'm applying for the digital and technological solutions degree apprenticeships as well, but I'm also considering software development ones, still need to get on that research lol

I did some work experience at Accenture and was really set on their degree apprentiship, till i found out their provider was UEL (no shade to UEL or anything, it's just not where i see myself necessarily) and now I'm looking more at the employers who work with QMUL: Goldman Sachs, IBM, BBC etc.

Wow what was the experience at Accenture like? What did you do etc? What’s the difference between UEL and QMUL is it just a prestige thing or is there some sort of an issue? Thanks for joining in though and i hope we can help each other through this application process!
Reply 3
Original post by Saleh2715518197
Wow what was the experience at Accenture like? What did you do etc? What’s the difference between UEL and QMUL is it just a prestige thing or is there some sort of an issue? Thanks for joining in though and i hope we can help each other through this application process!

It was honestly great! A lot of it was talks from people who worked there, but we did get a chance to try out new technologies they had access to, and come up with technologically based solutions to a (hypothetical) client's problems and present it to a group of professionals. I really enjoyed discussing the ethics of these technologies and learning about tech in a less abstract way, if that makes sense.

And as for the difference between UEL and QMUL, it's kind of a prestiege issue in terms of reputation- but employers do look at that sort of stuff. And more importantly, I've been looking at other threads on here and people have mentioned that the UEL course is very video lecture based, wheras for QMUL you go to the campus for 2 days a week, and I know I would not be able to get a degree watching video lectures lol.

Thanks for making this thread btw! It's so great to meet people in the same/similar positions, and the fact that you're doing a few humanities subjects has made me more optimistic about my own chances :smile:
Original post by a.mara
It was honestly great! A lot of it was talks from people who worked there, but we did get a chance to try out new technologies they had access to, and come up with technologically based solutions to a (hypothetical) client's problems and present it to a group of professionals. I really enjoyed discussing the ethics of these technologies and learning about tech in a less abstract way, if that makes sense.

And as for the difference between UEL and QMUL, it's kind of a prestiege issue in terms of reputation- but employers do look at that sort of stuff. And more importantly, I've been looking at other threads on here and people have mentioned that the UEL course is very video lecture based, wheras for QMUL you go to the campus for 2 days a week, and I know I would not be able to get a degree watching video lectures lol.

Thanks for making this thread btw! It's so great to meet people in the same/similar positions, and the fact that you're doing a few humanities subjects has made me more optimistic about my own chances :smile:

That work experience sounds really good to put in your CV! But yea it I think I’d have to agree that learning irl would be way more useful. And to be honest I was worried about the application process so I figured others must be also so I’m happy that someone joined the thread! And that’s another thing that worried me that my subjects could restrict me so seeing other applying with the same also boosted my confidence! I’ll keep you updated on what’s happening on the degree apprenticeships I do apply for so keep a look out on this thread!
Reply 5
Hey guys, I'm currently a degree apprentice in IT Consulting.

I'm on the infrastructure side, doing Digital & Technology Solutions with a focus on Network Engineering.

If y'all have any questions, feel free to hit me up!
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by senpanda
Hey guys, I'm currently a degree apprentice with Accenture (2018 intake).

I'm on the infrastructure side, doing Digital & Technology Solution with a focus on Network Engineering.

If y'all have any questions, feel free to hit me up!

Hi, I'm looking to apply for the software engineering apprenticeship for 2019. Any idea when that should go live and can you talk me through your application process. I applied for the software engineering apprenticeship last year in May, but I was told the spaces were already full. They did offer me the opportunity to apply for networking but I chose not to.
Reply 7
Original post by Lookingforajob1
Hi, I'm looking to apply for the software engineering apprenticeship for 2019. Any idea when that should go live and can you talk me through your application process. I applied for the software engineering apprenticeship last year in May, but I was told the spaces were already full. They did offer me the opportunity to apply for networking but I chose not to.

I was in the same boat as you - applied for software, got into networking (And I am VERY happy that I chose this path).

The application process has changed I believe, therefore I can not help you out. My honest advice is - just be honest, show you're truly passionate and show your best self.

I'm not sure when it will go live, but usually goes around mid/end february (atleast thats when I saw it live).

If I was you, I would strongly consider the networking side as well as the software side, they're both great options (even though completely different paths). If you are dead set on software - do it.

Any questions, PM me =]
Hey everyone, also looking to apply to digital and technological solutions. So far, I've only found a few, one with Queen Mary and Goldmansachs. However not sure if vacancy is even available anymore though their deadline is next month. I've been tried applying on their site and it isn't listed after the apply now page. Did anyone here apply to this with Goldmachsachs and if so, do you know already if you've got a place or not? x
Original post by Cherry82
Hey everyone, also looking to apply to digital and technological solutions. So far, I've only found a few, one with Queen Mary and Goldmansachs. However not sure if vacancy is even available anymore though their deadline is next month. I've been tried applying on their site and it isn't listed after the apply now page. Did anyone here apply to this with Goldmachsachs and if so, do you know already if you've got a place or not? x

I applied on Christmas day and i still haven't heard anything back, so im just waiting till the deadline for a response.
HOW TO APPLY
Click on the “Apply to this Program” button below
Login, if you are an existing user, or register
Select position ‘Other Internships and Work Placements’
Select program ‘Apprenticeship’
Complete application details and submit

so basically 'Apply NOW' - To begin your application, select from one of our programs here - Other Internships and Work Placements then fill out your details
Hi, has anyone applied for the Aston Martin degree apprenticeship? If so have you heard back? Two of my friends got an email last week saying they didn't get in but I'm still waiting to hear back.
(edited 5 years ago)
I have applied but also have not heard back.Have you still not heard back?
Original post by Whackeyhorizon
Hi, has anyone applied for the Aston Martin degree apprenticeship? If so have you heard back? Two of my friends got an email last week saying they didn't get in but I'm still waiting to hear back.

Yh I have. Also have not heard back. Have you still not heard back yet?
i want to do a childcare apprenticeship after doing qa criminology and law degree at uni but I'm worried about debt. how do you pay off student debt slowly? I'm also not living at uni
Original post by someone338983

I called up the other day, they are still going through applications. The man said to take it as I good thing I haven't heard anything yet, so fingers crossed.
I called up the other day, they are still going through applications. The man said to take it as I good thing I haven't heard anything yet, so fingers crossed.

Thanks for letting me know. Yh hopefully it's a good thing.
Original post by someone338983

Still haven't heard back. I'd just wait till after the deadline.
Still haven't heard back. I'd just wait till after the deadline.

The deadline was December the 31st
The deadline was December the 31st

deadline is in march
deadline is in march

Not for Aston Martin, applications are closed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending