The Student Room Group

The things no-one tells you about life after uni...

As per the title... If you're a graduate, what are the things that surprised you most about life after uni?

For me, it'd have to be how expensive council tax is - especially in Brighton! Was not prepared for that...

How about you? What shocked you most about graduate life?

If you've got any comments you'd like to share, Hannah from BBC Bitesize is currently writing an article about this and would love your contributions (you can even remain anonymous if you like!)

If you'd like to get involved, send your comments on to her by emailing [email protected] :smile:

Otherwise - comment them below :h:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by discobish
As per the title... If you're a graduate, what are the things that surprised you most about life after uni?

For me, it'd have to be how expensive council tax is - especially in Brighton! Was not prepared for that...

How about you? What shocked you most about graduate life?

If you've got any comments you'd like to share, Hannah from BBC Bitesize is currently writing an article about this and would love your contributions (you can even remain anonymous if you like!)

If you'd like to get involved, send your comments on to her by emailing [email protected] :smile:

Otherwise - comment them below :h:

DISCOBISH!!!!!! :lovehug:
Reply 2
Original post by CoolCavy
DISCOBISH!!!!!! :lovehug:

Hey Cavy :biggrin: how are you!?

Yep, this one got me too. :emo:
Original post by discobish
Hey Cavy :biggrin: how are you!?

oh i am so pleased to see you discobish, am so pleased you are alive :hugs:
Reply 4
Original post by CoolCavy
oh i am so pleased to see you discobish, am so pleased you are alive :hugs:

Aww that's so sweet! I'm also pleased I am alive :u: you'll have to come for another visit to TSR Towers soon and say hey!
Reply 5
Nothing really. I had lived in a couple of countires, paid tax, worked etc before I went to university
No more free access to OED.
No more tax rebates :cry2:
Reply 8
how much you would miss uni life.
The amount of free time you have!
That most university couples break up (in my example - every couple but that became a couple during uni broke up within a year on uni finishing).That most won't walk into a fantastic paid job. There will be long hours, high stress and one learns that hard way that there is more to life than money and work.Oh, and how great uni was and that you will constantly reminisce.
Original post by GingerJoe
That most university couples break up (in my example - every couple but that became a couple during uni broke up within a year on uni finishing).That most won't walk into a fantastic paid job. There will be long hours, high stress and one learns that hard way that there is more to life than money and work.Oh, and how great uni was and that you will constantly reminisce.

And you can now read for enjoyment rather than because you have to reference everything under the sun.
the opputunity cost of 3/4 years. looking at friends who never went to uni its abit like have a look at what you could have won. the truth is this you can achieve far more in 3/4 years than you can getting a degree. they did apprenticeships and are qualified or part qualified proffesionals in accounting, it, law and have nice cars and even mortgages or married. while i have a piece of paper and a shed load of debt applying for glorifed school leavers jobs
(edited 5 years ago)
How hard it has been to get a good job - despite my degree, internships, paid and unpaid work experience, extra study and extracurriculars... Anyone else found this?

Also how frustrating it is not to be able to use student discounts anymore
Mine is the loss of LMCLQ :frown:

AND THE F-****ING-T. Tmesis alert.
LMCLQ is where you'll find all your shipping/insurance articles, which is what I research. Good read, top playas. On my LLM, I got my disso sup to persuade the law library to purchase it. I paid about 10k and got a 10k subscription out of it, so good value for money.

Aye, never read any of that stuff. Just go to the Westlaw Books bit for the daddy-tier stuff.
Keys kind of in the word mate, National curriculum keeping the people poor and stupid!
(edited 5 years ago)
Apart from the obvious tax, pension etc. That you don't get taught at school/uni... for me, it's how different (And at times, difficult) to make friends post-uni. At uni, everyone is in the same situation, but when you go out into the world of work, everyone is different (how long they've lived in the area/moved there with people, have kids, whether they already have their own friends nearby etc)
Original post by Interrobang
Apart from the obvious tax, pension etc. That you don't get taught at school/uni... for me, it's how different (And at times, difficult) to make friends post-uni. At uni, everyone is in the same situation, but when you go out into the world of work, everyone is different (how long they've lived in the area/moved there with people, have kids, whether they already have their own friends nearby etc)

That is a very good point, I've tried to always find big house shares so that I will at least get on with one of them. I have been very lucky with housemates, relationships on the other hand... not so much. Everybody in the adult world seems to be taken (cliche I know),or married or having kids.
That you would feel like you're no longer improving yourself

Quick Reply

Latest