The Student Room Group

Advanced higher subject choices. Maths/financey

I am struggling for my subject choices for S6. I am definitely doing AH maths but am struggling for my other subjects. I want to do 3AHs and have done well in prelims so should be able to take what I want. I would just like some info and opinions on the courses and levels of: AH Stats, AH Physics, AH German, AH RMPS. What is the jump like from S5? How hard are the courses? Is it a good subject to take? etc... I’m thinking about a career in something financey or mathsy so would just like some help. Cheers! 👍🏻
Original post by taitsl
I am struggling for my subject choices for S6. I am definitely doing AH maths but am struggling for my other subjects. I want to do 3AHs and have done well in prelims so should be able to take what I want. I would just like some info and opinions on the courses and levels of: AH Stats, AH Physics, AH German, AH RMPS. What is the jump like from S5? How hard are the courses? Is it a good subject to take? etc... I’m thinking about a career in something financey or mathsy so would just like some help. Cheers! 👍🏻

I don't personally take AH stats, physics, rmps or german. However, I am this year really enjoying my AH Spanish course, although the jump from higher language to advanced was extremely difficult and the course is VERY different, but if you enjoy german and are good at it, there's no doubt in my mind you'd manage. As for your other three considerations, my friends are going down the maths route - while I'm all for humanitarian subjects having taken AH english - and they've said that AH stats is very difficult, with a few of them failing the prelim. The same goes for physics, however if you want to go down that career path I'd advise you to take the 3 (or 2 if you're set on maths) subjects you are most passionate about and if your school is anything like mine you'll receive the opportunity to try the subjects out for a week or so. Do what you know you'll enjoy is the best advice regarding S6! Good luck, dude x
Reply 2
Original post by winonaholic
I don't personally take AH stats, physics, rmps or german. However, I am this year really enjoying my AH Spanish course, although the jump from higher language to advanced was extremely difficult and the course is VERY different, but if you enjoy german and are good at it, there's no doubt in my mind you'd manage. As for your other three considerations, my friends are going down the maths route - while I'm all for humanitarian subjects having taken AH english - and they've said that AH stats is very difficult, with a few of them failing the prelim. The same goes for physics, however if you want to go down that career path I'd advise you to take the 3 (or 2 if you're set on maths) subjects you are most passionate about and if your school is anything like mine you'll receive the opportunity to try the subjects out for a week or so. Do what you know you'll enjoy is the best advice regarding S6! Good luck, dude x

Wow thank you very much. Great advice, I will make sure to pick the subjects I enjoy the most. And thanks for the modern language advice aswell! We don’t try out the subject so I want to make sure I get it right.
Original post by taitsl
Wow thank you very much. Great advice, I will make sure to pick the subjects I enjoy the most. And thanks for the modern language advice aswell! We don’t try out the subject so I want to make sure I get it right.

That's annoying, but I hope you make the right choices - which I'm sure you will - and enjoy s6!
I did AH stats and loved it. It was very different from normal maths and like nothing I'd ever done before.
It engaged my brain in a different way to normal maths and I preferred it as I could see how it was applicable to life versus pure maths
Reply 5
Original post by AzureCeleste
I did AH stats and loved it. It was very different from normal maths and like nothing I'd ever done before.
It engaged my brain in a different way to normal maths and I preferred it as I could see how it was applicable to life versus pure maths

Ahh that’s good to hear. How hard was it? I got a A1 in maths, so would I be able to get an A if I worked for it. How much work is it?
Original post by taitsl
Ahh that’s good to hear. How hard was it? I got a A1 in maths, so would I be able to get an A if I worked for it. How much work is it?

It's quite a bit of work and it's hard because its different to what you are used to.
I got an A1 in maths and ended up with an A2 in stats (was expecting higher but there was a couple of questions in our paper that really through me and we're particularly difficult).
Reply 7
Original post by AzureCeleste
It's quite a bit of work and it's hard because its different to what you are used to.
I got an A1 in maths and ended up with an A2 in stats (was expecting higher but there was a couple of questions in our paper that really through me and we're particularly difficult).

Ahh thanks very much. I’ll definitely consider it. Sounds really interesting
Reply 8
I'm currently doing AH physics. I was worried that it would be too confusing initially, but so far its a great and interesting course. If your interested at all in physics definitely take it. It's a really smooth transition from higher, especially if youve done higher maths/physics, which can make parts of the course an absolute breeze (rotational motion is almost the exact same as linear, basic calculus, graphs of waves etc) I wouldn't say that the rest of the content isn't that much more difficult to understand than higher, However, things like astrophysics do go quite a bit more in depth (along with more stuff as its an AH) .Ive also yet to experience the electromagnetism unit which could be brutal lol. The project ( worth about 25%) requires a lot of hard work and is a main component to the advanced level of the course. Just about to start mine on moment of inertia/ gravitaional constant/ forces on a trampoline gymnast, hopefully its not too stressful 👍🏼👍🏼 (im also doing AH maths which a lot of people- including myself- find muuch more difficult in comparison)

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending