The Student Room Group

A-Level options

I am currently in my last year of GCSEs and am now choosing my A-Levels. For my GCSE options I chose: Triple Science, History and Spanish.
For my A-Levels I have already chosen Spanish and History because I have a passion for these subjects. I now have decided to choose between Psychology and Government + Politics. Also between Maths and Biology.
Which subjects do you think fit best with history and Spanish?
How are the levels of difficulty within the subjects?
What do you think I should choose?

Thank you
Original post by Clw_300
I am currently in my last year of GCSEs and am now choosing my A-Levels. For my GCSE options I chose: Triple Science, History and Spanish.
For my A-Levels I have already chosen Spanish and History because I have a passion for these subjects. I now have decided to choose between Psychology and Government + Politics. Also between Maths and Biology.

Thank you

depends what you want to study at university

but if you don't know then of psycology and politics I would say politics is more fitting but choose what you'd enjoy. Then I'd pick maths over biology unless you need or enjoy it more.

its honestly more about what you want to do in the future, quote me and tell me what you want to do in the future and I'll tell you what I think would be best?
Reply 2
Original post by Laurence863
depends what you want to study at university

but if you don't know then of psycology and politics I would say politics is more fitting but choose what you'd enjoy. Then I'd pick maths over biology unless you need or enjoy it more.

its honestly more about what you want to do in the future, quote me and tell me what you want to do in the future and I'll tell you what I think would be best?

Honestly, I have no idea what I want to do in the future. I think I’m swaying towards maths more than biology because of the amount off essay writing I’d need to do in the other subjects. I have never been taught psychology or government and politics before so I don’t know which one I prefer.
Original post by Clw_300
Honestly, I have no idea what I want to do in the future. I think I’m swaying towards maths more than biology because of the amount off essay writing I’d need to do in the other subjects. I have never been taught psychology or government and politics before so I don’t know which one I prefer.

maths or poltics.
Reply 4
Original post by CollectiveSoul
maths or poltics.

Why choose politics over psychology?
Original post by Clw_300
Why choose politics over psychology?

goes better with history and spanish
Reply 6
goes better with history and spanish

Why? Are there lots of essay writing in them? If yes, then would maths be a better option than biology because of that?
Original post by Clw_300
Why? Are there lots of essay writing in them? If yes, then would maths be a better option than biology because of that?

i did a degree in biology. this is an a level with a big workload and has no relevance whatsoever to your other subjects. politics, hist and spanish are good choices for a degree in international relations if not politics, hist or spanish themselves.

but if youre good at maths you can't generally go wrong with that
Reply 8
i did a degree in biology. this is an a level with a big workload and has no relevance whatsoever to your other subjects. politics, hist and spanish are good choices for a degree in international relations if not politics, hist or spanish themselves.

but if youre good at maths you can't generally go wrong with that

Thank you so much you have been a great help
Original post by Clw_300

I'd say do maths and politics then
Reply 10
I'd say do maths and politics then

Do you think that taking politics over psychology can give me a wider variety of options in the future considering my othe A-Level choices?
Original post by Clw_300
Do you think that taking politics over psychology can give me a wider variety of options in the future considering my othe A-Level choices?

I dont think either would really give you many more options, but politics is definately more fitting with the subjects you have chosen, whereas psycology may look abit random
take biology because it shows that you are well rounded and that you aren't just writing essays, but that you also have other transferable skills
Reply 13
Original post by mpaprika
take biology because it shows that you are well rounded and that you aren't just writing essays, but that you also have other transferable skills

What subjects go well with biology?
Reply 14
I dont think either would really give you many more options, but politics is definately more fitting with the subjects you have chosen, whereas psycology may look abit random

What subjects do you think go well with psychology?
Original post by Clw_300
What subjects go well with biology?

chemistry since (at least in my course) there is an aspect of biochemistry, but you can just take biology on its own
Original post by Clw_300

Thank you

Government and politics I’d say fits best with history and Spanish, but do what you’d enjoy most not what fits best idk.
Original post by Clw_300

Biology will go with psychology , then for the third possibly history
Reply 18
Original post by Lilysmithxoxo
Biology will go with psychology , then for the third possibly history

I’ve heard that all the subjects I am thinking of taking are quite essay based so do you think I’d need to replace one with maths to try and even it out?
Original post by Clw_300

biology and psychology go well, I just think maths and politics is overall better but its your choice

Quick Reply

Latest