The Student Room Group

International Relations: History or Politics for A Levels?

I'm currently self-studying my IGCSEs. I'll most likely be self-studying my A Levels as well, and plan to study International Relations at undergraduate level.

The A Levels I have in mind are:
Economics
Maths (AS Level only)
Politics or History

The university I'll be applying to require 3 AS or A Levels. I'm stuck between Politics and History. I'm currently studying History for my IGCSEs and I love the subject. But the essays I write are subjective and I never know if I'm doing things right.

Which is harder to self-study: A Level Politics or A Level History? And which is more useful?

Thanks!
Original post by Shree515
I'm currently self-studying my IGCSEs. I'll most likely be self-studying my A Levels as well, and plan to study International Relations at undergraduate level.

The A Levels I have in mind are:
Economics
Maths (AS Level only)
Politics or History

The university I'll be applying to require 3 AS or A Levels. I'm stuck between Politics and History. I'm currently studying History for my IGCSEs and I love the subject. But the essays I write are subjective and I never know if I'm doing things right.

Which is harder to self-study: A Level Politics or A Level History? And which is more useful?

Thanks!

Which university only requires AS-levels?
Original post by ageshallnot

I was thinking the same thing - OP, you should do 3 full A levels not 2 A levels and an A/S level
Reply 3

Original post by harrysbar
I was thinking the same thing - OP, you should do 3 full A levels not 2 A levels and an A/S level

I'll be joining Mahidol University - in Bangkok, Thailand. It's like 10 mins away from where I live. They require a minimum of 5 IGCSEs and 3 AS or A Levels (or GEDs).

I came out of school around 10 months ago due to financial difficulties and planned on completing my IGCSEs then joining an A Level school in the coming August and applying for universities in the UK, but international schools here are expensive. And I don't think I can self-study A Levels and apply abroad as predicted grades and recommendation letters are required.

I took my IGCSE Maths exam last November - came out with a B. I'll be taking my 4 other IGCSE exams (English Lit, Eng Lang, History and Economics) this May/June, and then an extra three (Chem, Phys, Human Bio) in Jan 2020 just cus I want to have 8 IGCSEs. I'll start self-studying As Level around March - April 2020, take their exams in May/June 2021, complete the IELTS in Jan 2021, and take the university entrace exams in May 2021 and join the uni in September 2021. Sorry if this is confusing!

I've literally spent the whole time after coming out of school thinking I'll take my IGCSEs and go to school for A Levels and then go abroad, but unfortunately those are very unrelaistic goals when considering my family's financial status.

Sorry for the long explanation! I thought a bit of context was needed. Yeah, so that's why I'm only gonna take the AS Level exam. But I'll still fully study the A Level qualification for the sake of knowledge.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Shree515
I'll be joining Mahidol University - in Bangkok, Thailand. It's like 10 mins away from where I live. They require a minimum of 5 IGCSEs and 3 AS or A Levels (or GEDs).

I came out of school around 10 months ago due to financial difficulties and planned on completing my IGCSEs then joining an A Level school in the coming August and applying for universities in the UK, but international schools here are expensive. And I don't think I can self-study A Levels and apply abroad as predicted grades and recommendation letters are required.

I took my IGCSE Maths exam last November - came out with a B. I'll be taking my 4 other IGCSE exams (English Lit, Eng Lang, History and Economics) this May/June, and then an extra three (Chem, Phys, Human Bio) in Jan 2020 just cus I want to have 8 IGCSEs. I'll start self-studying As Level around March - April 2020, take their exams in May/June 2021, complete the IELTS in Jan 2021, and take the university entrace exams in May 2021 and join the uni in September 2021. Sorry if this is confusing!

I've literally spent the whole time after coming out of school thinking I'll take my IGCSEs and go to school for A Levels and then go abroad, but unfortunately those are very unrelaistic goals when considering my family's financial status.

Sorry for the long explanation! I thought a bit of context was needed. Yeah, so that's why I'm only gonna take the AS Level exam. But I'll still fully study the A Level qualification for the sake of knowledge.

Right, that makes a big difference. I don't think it will make much difference whether you do History or Politics. Perhaps see how you do in your History GCSE before deciding?
Reply 5
Right, that makes a big difference. I don't think it will make much difference whether you do History or Politics. Perhaps see how you do in your History GCSE before deciding?

Ok. That makes sense. Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest