The Student Room Group

Brexit Opinions/predictions?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fallen_acorns
officially yes - practically no

In practise they can tie her hands up, make her unelectable, refuse anything that comes their way, make her appear undemocratic, and grind the country to a halt if they wanted to.

They can’t make appear undemocratic.

She’s leaving as leader anyway

She has a majority in Parliament so nothing grinds to a halt and once the date passes they have nothing to fight for as it’s already happened.
Original post by louise672287
What are all of your opinions?

Told my opinion in many other different Brexit threads, and I, a non-British living abroad, am for remain. Because the economical consequences in terms of customs duties is not forseeable and the British role as global player dubious in my opinion. In mine!

What comes next in terms of Brexit is unpredictable. Everything seems to be possible.
Original post by Libtardian
When you have to insult it means you've lost the argument which pretty much sums up the remain side.

Not an insult at all. From where I stand, a statement of fact. The rich will be unaffected by Brexit whatever happens. They can afford to weather increased prices or inconveniences. The ignorant are baying for Brexit without knowing much about what the consequences are and idiots are those who just don't care because they are either rich or ignorant or both.

I note that the hard-core-you-know-the-score-hard-brexit-at-all costs saber-rattler, Reece-Mogg has changed his tune of late and seems to be distancing himself from a hard brexit. He is rich, but he is not ignorant.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by paul514
No the trade deal is the easy bit.

Really? Didn't a trade deal with Canada take 6 years? And we have spent 2 years trying to get an interim deal and have pretty much failed at that.
Original post by ByEeek
Really? Didn't a trade deal with Canada take 6 years? And we have spent 2 years trying to get an interim deal and have pretty much failed at that.

7 years.

No trade deal has ever been done when everthing already is aligned, its a very easy deal to do because it suits both sides and like I say everything is already aligned.
Original post by paul514
7 years.

No trade deal has ever been done when everthing already is aligned, its a very easy deal to do because it suits both sides and like I say everything is already aligned.

Sure, everything is aligned. But politically we are leaving the perfect deal. Are you suggesting we stay aligned with the EU from now into the future? I thought you wanted sovereignty?
Original post by ByEeek
Sure, everything is aligned. But politically we are leaving the perfect deal. Are you suggesting we stay aligned with the EU from now into the future? I thought you wanted sovereignty?

I’m not suggesting anything for the deal just stating facts.

They will agree what they still stay aligned on and what doesn’t isn’t included.
Remain in the EU
Reply 28
Original post by louise672287
What are all of your opinions?

Not going to lie- no deal is looking likelier by the day especially with the way May is going. What were the commons thinking of, voting for an amendment to the backstop when EU already said that was not on the cards. A waste of a perfectly good vote and has made a No deal INEVITABLE.
Original post by paul514

They will agree what they still stay aligned on and what doesn’t isn’t included.

Right. But what is the arbitration mechanism in the event of disputes? Also, Canada is about goods and products. Our service economy doesn't really fit a Canada model. I am very skeptical of anyone who says this is simple or easy. It is anything but.
Original post by ByEeek
Right. But what is the arbitration mechanism in the event of disputes? Also, Canada is about goods and products. Our service economy doesn't really fit a Canada model. I am very skeptical of anyone who says this is simple or easy. It is anything but.

The single market doesn’t include services as for arbitration I have no idea it’s above my pay grade so to speak.
Original post by paul514

Of course they will.... after much protracted negociation over a much longer period of time than most might think.
Original post by ByEeek
Not an insult at all. From where I stand, a statement of fact. The rich will be unaffected by Brexit whatever happens. They can afford to weather increased prices or inconveniences. The ignorant are baying for Brexit without knowing much about what the consequences are and idiots are those who just don't care because they are either rich or ignorant or both.

I note that the hard-core-you-know-the-score-hard-brexit-at-all costs saber-rattler, Reece-Mogg has changed his tune of late and seems to be distancing himself from a hard brexit. He is rich, but he is not ignorant.

Calling someone an idiot is an insult.
Original post by Libtardian
Calling someone an idiot is an insult.

Idiot - a stupid person
Stupid - having or showing a great lack of intelligence or common sense

Same difference.
Original post by ByEeek
Idiot - a stupid person
Stupid - having or showing a great lack of intelligence or common sense

Same difference.

Sometimes the accuser is too stupid to understand what the other person is saying! Insults are very rarely the way forward particularly in political debate
Original post by paul514
The single market doesn’t include services as for arbitration I have no idea it’s above my pay grade so to speak.

Ah. That makes sense. If you have any kind of trade deal you need some way to resolve conflict or mal practise. Otherwise comany A sells to company B which doesn't pay. Where does company A go to get justice? And the single market does include services. That is why there is free movement. People's labour is treated in the same way as goods.
Original post by ByEeek
Ah. That makes sense. If you have any kind of trade deal you need some way to resolve conflict or mal practise. Otherwise comany A sells to company B which doesn't pay. Where does company A go to get justice? And the single market does include services. That is why there is free movement. People's labour is treated in the same way as goods.

Sorry but the single market does not include services it’s a verifiable fact.
Reply 37
false

Original post by paul514
They can’t make appear undemocratic.

She’s leaving as leader anyway

She has a majority in Parliament so nothing grinds to a halt and once the date passes they have nothing to fight for as it’s already happened.

Only has a majority with the DUP, given their position I doubt she can take them for granted on a No Deal. As we lurch closer there may be a few who decide they will break Conservative party lines and vote against HMG in a confidence vote, I think it is unlikely, I think they will go down with the ship into No Deal, but I would not totally rule it out as impossible.
Original post by ByEeek
That is why there is free movement. People's labour is treated in the same way as goods.

Sorry mate I believe you are incorrect, trading of goods and free movement of people are completely separate issues. This is a reason why I was trying to explain that the NHS won't have the issues I believe you was claiming it to have in the other thread.

The two issues are separate altogether mate
Reply 39
Original post by paul514

So where do services fit into the acquis if not in the Single Market?

They are certainly one of the four freedoms, albeit I accept their cross border provisions have been augmented by subsequent legislation adding to the development of such a services market. It is tricky to say x creates the freedom re services or y does but it is certainly considered in the round to be part of the Single Market and developments towards creating and augmenting it, coupled with the other freddoms, probably needs to be considered as a unified whole, e.g. tricky to look at cross border services without considering cross border capital and labour, and of course more and more goods trade involves services as well, e.g. if a lift is to be built in a building the company often supplies the lift materials, the service of installation and then runs the maintenance for x years, some of the older deals re these- I did one such install in the mid 1990s- had a ten year operator service contract coupled with the installation contract.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending