The Student Room Group

Is it easier to learn how to drive an automatic car?

I want to go back into learning to drive after not having any lessons but I've forgotten quite a lot of manual driving. Would it be easier and quicker to learn in an automatic car or is the same as manual driving?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I want to go back into learning to drive after not having any lessons but I've forgotten quite a lot of manual driving. Would it be easier and quicker to learn in an automatic car or is the same as manual driving?

It's so much easier.
Reply 2
Original post by Ciel.
It's so much easier.

Are the tests different or the same?
Reply 3
The test remains the same, regardless of the car being manual or automatic
Reply 4
Are the tests different or the same?

Pretty sure they are the same, I meant that driving is easier, less things to do, lol.
Reply 5
Original post by Ciel.
Pretty sure they are the same, I meant that driving is easier, less things to do, lol.

Oh. Can anyone learn to drive an automatic car or is just the disabled and elderly?
its easier but if you get a driving licence for automatic you cant drive a manual car, which are usually cheaper
Reply 7
Oh. Can anyone learn to drive an automatic car or is just the disabled and elderly?

Anyone can. Like, most Americans and Japanese people have automatic cars. The only real difference is that you don't need to change the gears and deal with the stupid clutch.

Have you done any lessons in the past? It does come back quite easily even if you've had a long break, at least in my experiences.

Unless you're really struggling with manual, there's no reason to do your test in an automatic as you'll end up with a restricted licence, and any small financial saving (possibly fewer lessons needed) definitely isn't worth it in the long run.
Reply 9
Original post by jameswhughes
Have you done any lessons in the past? It does come back quite easily even if you've had a long break, at least in my experiences.

Unless you're really struggling with manual, there's no reason to do your test in an automatic as you'll end up with a restricted licence, and any small financial saving (possibly fewer lessons needed) definitely isn't worth it in the long run.

I've done years of manual driving lessons in the past but I've had like 4-5 years of nothing and I've forgotten some things. If I go back into manual, it will most likely take me a few years to pass. I think it'd be easier in automatic so I can just concentrate on the road and not have to worry about changing gears and clutch etc. I know I'd only be able to have a licence for automatic cars only but that's ok, I just want to pass for now. I could get a manual license later on if I wanted to.

I can almost guarantee you haven't forgot how to drive a manual. Changing gears is instinctive and it'll probably take you what... 2-3 lessons at most to refine the skill again? It requires pretty much zero thought once you've done it once or twice....

Unless you're disabled or you really, really, really, really, really hate manuals, don't go for the automatic licence. What if you want to rent a van, or if you join a company that can offer you a fleet of vehicles to choose from? Chances are, it'll be a manual.

Spend an extra £80 or something on a few more lessons rather than a few more lessons in the future + another test to add manual entitlement to your licence.
I've done years of manual driving lessons in the past but I've had like 4-5 years of nothing and I've forgotten some things. If I go back into manual, it will most likely take me a few years to pass. I think it'd be easier in automatic so I can just concentrate on the road and not have to worry about changing gears and clutch etc. I know I'd only be able to have a licence for automatic cars only but that's ok, I just want to pass for now. I could get a manual license later on if I wanted to.

I don't have much to add apart from reiterating what @Blue_Cow has said already, but there's really no reason why it would take years. Many 17 year olds get through the whole thing in a few months starting from scratch!

Also, you're not going to want to go back to lessons and tests yet again for a manual licence. If you think you'll save a few weeks and a bit of money now it won't pay off when you can't buy a cheap car, rent a car, rent a van, courtesy car etc.

Do you need the licence urgently?
Original post by jameswhughes
I don't have much to add apart from reiterating what @Blue_Cow has said already, but there's really no reason why it would take years. Many 17 year olds get through the whole thing in a few months starting from scratch!

Also, you're not going to want to go back to lessons and tests yet again for a manual licence. If you think you'll save a few weeks and a bit of money now it won't pay off when you can't buy a cheap car, rent a car, rent a van, courtesy car etc.

Do you need the licence urgently?

I don't need a license urgently but I want to have one before I'm 30.
I don't need a license urgently but I want to have one before I'm 30.

If there's no rush, then there's even less reason to get an automatic licence. Take a bit longer to get a manual one and you'll be able to do a lot more afterwards.
it is much easier to drive an automatic car, but if you can go for the manual test then I would advise it. With a manual licence you can drive automatics for the rest of your life but always have the option of a manual. Just a few reasons:

Buying an auto is always more expensive
Fuel economy is not as good in an auto
If you ever need to hire a car, autos cost a lot more
If you ever need to drive a mates car for what ever reason, chances are it will be a manual.

Its your choice, but you have much more flexibility with a manual car.
By the time your 30 manual cars will be antiques lol.
Original post by Trenching
By the time your 30 manual cars will be antiques lol.

People have said this for decades and they're still there. Pass rate for auto only is also worse.
Please Please Please look at the big picture, manuals are not going to be first choice in 10 years time, rental van's, hire cars will ultimately be everywhere hence cheaper, there would have stopped producing manuals due to climate change ect . Automatics are not for disabled or elderly, disabled people have been driving manual cars for donkey years.Look at Americans Chinese Japan,all automatic,get with the now please.
Original post by Trenching
Please Please Please look at the big picture, manuals are not going to be first choice in 10 years time, rental van's, hire cars will ultimately be everywhere hence cheaper, there would have stopped producing manuals due to climate change ect . Automatics are not for disabled or elderly, disabled people have been driving manual cars for donkey years.Look at Americans Chinese Japan,all automatic,get with the now please.

No sure what you're talking about, that's a mess. :redface: (HTF can a vehicle with WORSE petrol economy be BETTER for the environment?)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending