The Student Room Group

Geography or History

Hi! im looking for someone whos taken geography and someone whos taken history for gcse. i just wanted to ask which is the more stressful or more work heavy subject. I know that the answer will probably be that theyre the same difficulty and it all depends on the person but do u write as much essays in history as geography?
history is more based on essay writing and generally longer answers, i chose geography, it’s more factual, however with geography you have to know more - if you like english and can accommodate being good with essay writing then take history, however if you’re good with remembering facts (a lot and a lot of facts) then take geography :smile:
I did geography at GCSE.
I found it quite easy really. It was really interesting. There was the odd essay, but it wasnt like massive essays or anything.
I didnt do history so cant comment on that.
Reply 3
Original post by freyakims.x
history is more based on essay writing and generally longer answers, i chose geography, it’s more factual, however with geography you have to know more - if you like english and can accommodate being good with essay writing then take history, however if you’re good with remembering facts (a lot and a lot of facts) then take geography :smile:

would you mind telling me what geography consisted of? like all i see is oceans, seas, environment, rainforest deforestation and stuff like that. i dont know if thats it and thats geography, i thought geography would be more, you know, geographic, as in about rocks and mountains and stuff like that. all weve been learning is environmental stuff.
Original post by Samidb
would you mind telling me what geography consisted of? like all i see is oceans, seas, environment, rainforest deforestation and stuff like that. i dont know if thats it and thats geography, i thought geography would be more, you know, geographic, as in about rocks and mountains and stuff like that. all weve been learning is environmental stuff.

It really does depend on the exam board you do; different exam boards have varying content
Reply 5
Original post by ade22_
It really does depend on the exam board you do; different exam boards have varying content

ok ill try looking up the specification : )
Reply 6
Original post by Emma:-)
I did geography at GCSE.
I found it quite easy really. It was really interesting. There was the odd essay, but it wasnt like massive essays or anything.
I didnt do history so cant comment on that.

can you describe the work you do ?
Original post by Samidb
can you describe the work you do ?

I do Equdas B and there are basically three main themes
Theme 1 is changing places and this talks basically about urbanisation and the social, economic and environmental effects of this, how it can be managed, advantages and disadvantages, migration, causes and effects and then a few case studies
Theme 2 is shaping the landscape so this is about rivers, rivermanagement, coats and coastal management,weather and climate, global warming and how it can be managed
Theme 3 is ecosystems so biomes, how ecosystems work, small scale and large scale, how are they used by people, negative impact of humans, water security, desertification
Reply 8
Original post by ade22_
I do Equdas B and there are basically three main themes
Theme 1 is changing places and this talks basically about urbanisation and the social, economic and environmental effects of this, how it can be managed, advantages and disadvantages, migration, causes and effects and then a few case studies
Theme 2 is shaping the landscape so this is about rivers, rivermanagement, coats and coastal management,weather and climate, global warming and how it can be managed
Theme 3 is ecosystems so biomes, how ecosystems work, small scale and large scale, how are they used by people, negative impact of humans, water security, desertification

Thanks a lot! im pretty sure were doing something in theme 3 because we're doing pollution rn.

Quick Reply

Latest