The Student Room Group

Study Medicine in Europe

Hey, I’m thinking about studying medicine in Europe as I can’t in the UK. I’m thinking of going to Charles University the First Faculty of Medicine in Prague as it has a very good reputation when it comes to medicine but I don’t know a lot of people who have gone to study there from the UK. My second option is Plovdiv Medical University in Bulgaria. I guess Bulgaria is cheaper in terms of accommodation etc but Charles University seems to have a better reputation and facilities which makes it harder to get a place. I can see more people go to Bulgaria from the UK and there are more agencies that work with Bulgarian universities. I can only think of one that helps you get into a few universities in Czech. Can someone give me any advise and help me decide? Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WonderWatson
Hey, I’m thinking about studying medicine in Europe as I can’t in the UK. I’m thinking of going to Charles University the First Faculty of Medicine in Prague as it has a very good reputation when it comes to medicine but I don’t know a lot of people who have gone to study there from the UK. My second option is Plovdiv Medical University in Bulgaria. I guess Bulgaria is cheaper in terms of accommodation etc but Charles University seems to have a better reputation and facilities which makes it harder to get a place. I can see more people go to Bulgaria from the UK and there are more agencies that work with Bulgarian universities. I can only think of one that helps you get into a few universities in Czech. Can someone give me any advise and help me decide? Thank you.

I'm looking at studying medicine abroad as well, I know Plovdiv is a really nice area as I've been on holiday to a ski resort close 3 times and only hear good things! I have no idea where to start when it comes to applying. The biggest perk for myself is not having to sit ucat or gamsat, as I am doing an undergrad degree at the minute and am a bit out of touch with that side of things
Original post by Dr Daniela
Is anyone planning to join any graduate programs in Europe ?

Hi, I'm currently thinking of applying for grad entry medicine, I would like to go for it in Bulgaria, as my family are wanting to migrate there and I have a little knowledge on local areas, how is your application going?
Hey bulgaria is very nice. they have very good unies in sofia and a city called varna. My best friend studies there and he loves it, the university is near the beach and has an english teaching section. most students over there i understand are from UK,GERMANY and USA. I will go to visit him next month, he is doing dentistry in english currently in the second year.

Do you know anyone who has gone through agencies to apply, ive looked at study medicine abroad and tutelage but I cant find any genuine reviews, so im a bit skeptical. Im currently looking at plovdiv as ive been on holiday often to areas around it
Also, has anyone gone directly to the university? If so how did you get your A levels etc translated and legalized?
Original post by Danathomas97
I'm looking at studying medicine abroad as well, I know Plovdiv is a really nice area as I've been on holiday to a ski resort close 3 times and only hear good things! I have no idea where to start when it comes to applying. The biggest perk for myself is not having to sit ucat or gamsat, as I am doing an undergrad degree at the minute and am a bit out of touch with that side of things

I applied last year to Plovdiv MU through an agency called InterHECS due to some financial issues I was forced to take a gap year and this time round I have more time to look at my options as last time the application process was very rushed. Prague is just simply beautiful but it’s much more expensive and I’m finding it very hard to a find affordable flat near the uni that I like at the moment. Plovdiv seems like a very nice area. He hat would you say it’s like in Plovdiv in terms of safety. As in walking home from at night in the dark?
Reply 6
I generally would never apply through an agency as they tend to rip you off. If you're looking for a decent (yet heavily intensive) graduate program I would recommend Poznan. Every graduate minus 2 (who failed the SJT) made it back to the UK last year in the Deaneries of their choice. Only issue I can see right now with studying outside the UK is Brexit and the UKMLA, so it might be something to consider when applying abroad.
Have you guys got any experience with doing medicine in places like Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, etc..? Please tell me about them.
I've also considered Graduate medicine in Europe. The biggest problem i'm facing is whether studying in a private university is worth the risk. Grad entry seems to only be in private universities, except in Poland. I've noticed a lot of for profit medical universities around. What if they terminate operation and your forced to leave or they termiinate before you can gain general registration. That could end in a very sticky situation. I like Graduate entry in Poland but the graduate fees are quite high.
Hey man, I was also wandering about studying medicine in Europe. I was thinking more around Romania or so, have any of you guys got any thoughts or experience with it? I was looking at going straight into medicine, not as a grad student. Plus, I was thinking of maybe doing an Access Course instead of A-Levels if any of you guys have any experience with that. Thanks a lot
(edited 5 years ago)
i can only say it is a great Idea to study in Europe. I have spent 6 years there and I loved every moment of it. It is not very difficult to get a place as long as you have all your documents in order. However, you will need to have Alevels in Biology and Chemistry to enter in Romania. However other countries would allow you to start medicine with just your GCSEs or access to learning or Betc

Thank you so much, this is incredibly useful information I’ll start doing some more research then!
i can only say it is a great Idea to study in Europe. I have spent 6 years there and I loved every moment of it. It is not very difficult to get a place as long as you have all your documents in order. However, you will need to have Alevels in Biology and Chemistry to enter in Romania. However other countries would allow you to start medicine with just your GCSEs or access to learning or Betc

By the way, these courses are also taught in English, right?

Which countries would allow you to study Medicine with just GCSE's?
I completed my medical studies in Europe. I can only say that it was one of the best experiences of my life I would definietly recomend it. Bulgaria and Romania are definelty more affordable, but I must say that Budapest in Hungary is probably the best city in Europe it is by far my favorite city to live in but the fees are very expensive, if you can afford it go there

Which universities would you recommend in Budapest?
Also is the course taught in English?
How much is the tuition fees?
Is there a lot of uk students in Hungary studying med?
Also which agency did you use or would you recommend? Which university is better Semmelweis or University of Debrecen?
Which university did you complete your degree?
Also what was the whole experience like?

Sorry for asking so many questions but I’m very curious :smile:
Original post by Ayan Khan
Thank you so much, this is incredibly useful information I’ll start doing some more research then!

you are welcome, im glad you found it useful
Which universities would you recommend in Budapest?
Also is the course taught in English?
How much is the tuition fees?
Is there a lot of uk students in Hungary studying med?
Also which agency did you use or would you recommend? Which university is better Semmelweis or University of Debrecen?
Which university did you complete your degree?
Also what was the whole experience like?

Sorry for asking so many questions but I’m very curious :smile:

Debrecen is another city and is not about 3 hours from budapest but on the other hand Semmelweis is in budapest (i think fees around £17,000). I completed a medical degree in Romania, Bucharest university called Carol Davila. All these unies teach in english. The experience for me was great I loved every minute of it but I must say I was really nervous and hesitant at the start. The night life is second to none and the city budapest is very beautiful and full of culture and life.
Sorry can not comment on agencies on here. So you can pm if you need some futher guidance on this
Original post by Ayan Khan
By the way, these courses are also taught in English, right?

yes in english

Hello there, I also study in Europe because I couldn't get a place in UK. All medical schools in europe are almost the same. Students generally decide to go either Bulgaria or Romania as it is a lot cheaper like you have mentioned. However I must tell you that Bulgaria take more students in then Romania. In my opinion this makes Romania standing out more because its less crowded in the classes. Hope this is usefull.
Original post by Anilozen
Hello there, I also study in Europe because I couldn't get a place in UK. All medical schools in europe are almost the same. Students generally decide to go either Bulgaria or Romania as it is a lot cheaper like you have mentioned. However I must tell you that Bulgaria take more students in then Romania. In my opinion this makes Romania standing out more because its less crowded in the classes. Hope this is usefull.

Hey, where are you studying? If you don’t mind me asking. Also, which country has better facilities, Romania or Bulgaria? And did you apply through an agency? If yes, which one? Also how do you think brexit will have an affect on studying in Europe?
Hey, where are you studying? If you don’t mind me asking. Also, which country has better facilities, Romania or Bulgaria? And did you apply through an agency? If yes, which one? Also how do you think brexit will have an affect on studying in Europe?

I am studying ukraine. Czech republic is really good but they have a very tough entrance exam. Hungary is great but known as very expensive.Others have similar facilities. But you should go for a Uni where it is not overcrowded. UK is introducing a new universal exam for their graduates and international graduates so brexit won't be a huge problem. In terms of agencies, you should go with one that fits your budget.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending