The Student Room Group

The Warwick drama continues

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Notoriety
Tigger is well-versed in the code of conduct point. The disrepute provision is the catch-all and is designed to be as broad as possible.

Original post by 999tigger
You should contact the students concerned and offer to represent them.

Nobody made anyone sign anything. A student agrees by applying and accpeting the offer of the university.

Back to the original question, then what civil action would that be?

There is the Unfair Commercial Practices Directive. I'm unsure if the Student would be able to apply for this, but technically Universities are businesses and students are consumers. I'm no legal expert but I do know under contract law... and concerning codes of conduct with employee's, they have to be 'fair' and not break legislation. If you were fired for private messages, send in a private space, on a private device, in private time, that resulted in a dismissal from a job, you can actually fight it rather successfully (and many people have).

Yes nobody forced them to sign anything, but they 'had' to sign them to have a place at the university. It's no different to the fact about 80% of terms in tenancy agreements (which is my speciality) are completely unenforceable, despite them being initially written up by solicitors and nobody is forced to sign them either.

I'm not personally aware of any test cases concerning UK university codes of conduct, but it has been in other countries and generally the universities don't come out of it well. Especially if there is no criminal behaviour (whether proven in a civil or criminal court).
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by DanB1991
There is the Unfair Commercial Practices Directive. I'm unsure if the Student would be able to apply for this, but technically Universities are businesses and students are consumers. I'm no legal expert but I do know under contract law... and concerning codes of conduct with employee's, they have to be 'fair' and not break legislation. If you were fired for private messages, send in a private space, on a private device, in private time, that resulted in a dismissal from a job, you can actually fight it rather successfully (and many people have).

Yes nobody forced them to sign anything, but they 'had' to sign them to have a place at the university. It's no different to the fact about 80% of terms in tenancy agreements (which is my speciality) are completely unenforceable, despite them being initially written up by solicitors and nobody is forced to sign them either.

I'm not personally aware of any test cases concerning UK university codes of conduct, but it has been in other countries and generally the universities don't come out of it well. Especially if there is no criminal behaviour (whether proven in a civil or criminal court).

I will just focus on the "I'm no legal expert" bit and leave it there.
Aye, when I was training I had one trying to tell me about the three sources of law in a gloaty voice. Common, stat and equity. As if I would be gob-smacked to learn this next-level info. He said it to clients, too; to dole mams, to impress them. Just stick to doing DROs, Chris, alright. Just stick to ****ing DROs.
why are you lying? i know you, and you went to London Metropolita University, and oyu havent finished a law school. Thats why you spend your time here. Please guys dont listen to him, he is a fraud.
Original post by Dez
Reform is far better medicine than total exclusion. If they've shown proper remorse for their actions then they ought to be given a second chance. From the sounds of it they'll be closely monitored upon their return, and I imagine if they do anything similar again there won't be any third chance for them, that'll be the end of their educational career.

It's still pretty frightening for the women students who were the subjects of their violent imagery - which included, let's not forget, discussions about gang raping and murdering them. Quite strange topics for fun relaxing chats.

The university needs to have another think and at the very least, some sort of special security measure needs to be in place, for example, these dangerous-sounding individuals could complete their studies remotely and the girls be warned when they are in the vicinity. Some form of electronic tagging might be a sensible precaution if they must be on campus.
Original post by Axiomasher
I don't think any student that has been found to have secretly discussed raping others with a conspiratorial group, even if in a 'jokey' way, should be allowed on campus. Warwick is all too obviously trying to be pragmatic to suit the moment when it should in fact be principled, shame on them.

I think you are overlooking that this was the decision of an appeals panel. Warwick is having to support the decision made by its appeals panel but that doesn’t mean that the management of the university agreed with the appeal panel’s decision. What it looks like to me is that the appeals panel simply didn’t buy the argument that the two appellants were more culpable than the majority of the students who received one year bans and reduced their sentences to match.
Not sure why they would want to go back there, faces and names plastered all over. The amount of stick those two are going to get (rightly so) is going to be massive.
Original post by Notoriety
I will just focus on the "I'm no legal expert" bit and leave it there.

In all honesty if you can explain why customers and staff members can fight similar codes of conduct and students can't be my guest. Workers unions fight this kind of thing successfully all the time.

I'm quite seriously not going to be offended. If you tell me something I didn't know great!
Reply 68
The lifetime bans and permanent expulsions were over the top imo

back when i was in secondary school some kid said to a girl he wanted to rape her. The girl made me tell the form tutor [it seems she couldn't get the words out]. The kid who said it ended up getting a stern telling off and that was that. No detention, no expulsion, no news crews, no suspension

ok this was like 20yrs ago, but seeing the amount of trouble these uni folks got in over a private chat just seems ott imo...
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It's still pretty frightening for the women students who were the subjects of their violent imagery - which included, let's not forget, discussions about gang raping and murdering them. Quite strange topics for fun relaxing chats.

The university needs to have another think and at the very least, some sort of special security measure needs to be in place, for example, these dangerous-sounding individuals could complete their studies remotely and the girls be warned when they are in the vicinity. Some form of electronic tagging might be a sensible precaution if they must be on campus.

Erm what? That's ridiculous.All that happened was a couple of jokes were made on the internet.People probably say worse things on here or would if it wasn't moderated.They committed no crime.If they had they would have been charged.If you really really try hard you might twist the definition to show intent but that is just seeing stuff that isnt there.Clearly the police found nothing.And you talk of ankle tags? This isn't China.Its actually quite frightening how authoritarian some " liberals" are.
Original post by SHallowvale
Being given a stupid name on a messanger doesn't stop you from being taken seriously.

Yes, it doesn't.But only because some people either have no brain or have elected not to use it.
Reply 71
Original post by Malevolent
Not sure why they would want to go back there, faces and names plastered all over. The amount of stick those two are going to get (rightly so) is going to be massive.

They aren't returning:

Warwick University says rape threat pair won't return
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/feb/05/warwick-university-says-threat-pair-wont-return?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds like they decided not to. Probably for the best all round.
Original post by Rs5644
Erm what? That's ridiculous.All that happened was a couple of jokes were made on the internet.People probably say worse things on here or would if it wasn't moderated.They committed no crime.If they had they would have been charged.If you really really try hard you might twist the definition to show intent but that is just seeing stuff that isnt there.Clearly the police found nothing.And you talk of ankle tags? This isn't China.Its actually quite frightening how authoritarian some " liberals" are.

They don't come across like jokes. The statements come across like intended threats and they sound as if they've had extensive experience of rape. However, if they are just very, very stupid, it's a pity that the direction of travel of their stupidity has to be rape and assault, but even more of a pity that they are now permanently and indelibly associated with the reputation of Warwick.
Original post by Axiomasher
The conversation was obviously intended to be secret but was leaked.

Isn’t that the problem. People should be able to have private conversations. I bet everybody here has said something in a private chat that they’d rather not be heard in public.
They don't come across like jokes. The statements come across like intended threats and they sound as if they've had extensive experience of rape. However, if they are just very, very stupid, it's a pity that the direction of travel of their stupidity has to be rape and assault, but even more of a pity that they are now permanently and indelibly associated with the reputation of Warwick.

You're just too soft to have experience of this type of "edgy" humour (which populates sites like 4chan (and a few chats Papa Noto saw in his younger days, might I say)). It therefore becomes quite irrelevant that you think they're threats rather than jokes, because you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

No they are jokes.Not very high brow ones but still jokes.Being offensive is not yet a crime.Extensive experience of rape? Listen to yourself.The police found no crime was committed.All that has happened here is that some immature boys have posted offensive jokes on a chat.They didn't threaten anyone.They didn't rape anyone.They had no intention of raping anyone.I've heard worse jokes about Madeline McCann.Is everyone who jokes about that now a potential child abductor? You are being ridiculous.Its ok to joke about offensive things.
The police and the uni clearly agreed as they were coming back until Twitter outrage erupted.
How dare you justify something as serious as rape or even a rape joke? Even if it is a joke, it is a dangerous statement to make. And you mock that as well? No joke, or threat, or song for all I care should include rape statements or abuse stataments towards women and minorities. You seem to share the same mindset with them.
Hahaha, **** off ya prick. Trying to force him on to me.

I am happy with the peace and quiet.
I do not care what you think of me. What is of outmost concern is yor behaviour towards other people and making dangerous statements like this one. How dare you justify rape? Even if somsone makes rape jokes on a constant basis this is a result of a hidden desire or of previous actions.Read some psychology. Again, I wonder if your mother is proud of you reading comments like this one. You should not be allowed on this forum. And mocking somsone because they are trying to inform this community that rape is no joke is beyond me. You've been reported.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending