The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Margaretpa
I am a 2020 entry applicant. I am writing here to ask if it is possible for UCL to consider me for medicine.
GCSES: They were not that good- 4A*s (bio,chem,physics,maths), 3As (English Lang., Spanish, Modern Greek) and 2Bs (English Lit., Economics).
My AS Levels are doing well (I do Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Pure Maths) and I got AAAA in my first semester so I think I am fine.
Nots sure If I will continue with 3 or 4 A levels.
Up to now am I good for the requirements?

they don't look at gcses, and theres no point doing 4 levels

Original post by halsx11
Hi what do you need your GCSEs if you want to study medicine?

there are plenty of threads on this, each university has their own requirements but should minium get a grade 6 in maths+english
okay thanks it's just that everyones like you have to get A/A* in their GCSEs just to study medicine
Original post by halsx11
okay thanks it's just that everyones like you have to get A/A* in their GCSEs just to study medicine

for some uni's you do, for others you don't e.g for oxford the average successful applicant has 10A*'s and 50% of their admissions is on GCSEs but for other unis e.g imperial all they require is a 6 in english and maths and nothing more
Original post by halsx11

Different universities emphasise different things, some unis like Leeds focus of GCSEs, others like kings focus on the UKCAT/BMAT, do you research into which schools you’ll be most competitive at! I have mostly As and A*s at GCSE, but mine weren’t ‘competative’. I still applied to Leeds and Cambridge, i’ve been interviewed at Leeds and have an offer from Cambridge, so even with non-complementary emphasis, your application can still be successful!
Oh okay Thanks x
Original post by DrWilson173441
Different universities emphasise different things, some unis like Leeds focus of GCSEs, others like kings focus on the UKCAT/BMAT, do you research into which schools you’ll be most competitive at! I have mostly As and A*s at GCSE, but mine weren’t ‘competative’. I still applied to Leeds and Cambridge, i’ve been interviewed at Leeds and have an offer from Cambridge, so even with non-complementary emphasis, your application can still be successful!

I just want to get A's in everything so i'm on the safe side! But for doing A-level for sciences all you need is a 6 so yeah what uni/med school have you gone to?
Original post by halsx11
Oh okay Thanks x

I just want to get A's in everything so i'm on the safe side! But for doing A-level for sciences all you need is a 6 so yeah what uni/med school have you gone to?

I’m still in Y13, I applied to Cambridge, kings UCL and Leeds. I’ve interviewed at UCL and Leeds and have an offer from Cambridge, which will go down as my firm choice!
I’m still in Y13, I applied to Cambridge, kings UCL and Leeds. I’ve interviewed at UCL and Leeds and have an offer from Cambridge, which will go down as my firm choice!

Cool! What did you do at A-levels?
Original post by halsx11
Cool! What did you do at A-levels?

I take Maths chemistry biology and psychology, all to A2.
I take Maths chemistry biology and psychology, all to A2.

I'm going to be taking biology, chemistry and psychology. Is it really hard if you've come from learning GCSEs?
Original post by halsx11
I'm going to be taking biology, chemistry and psychology. Is it really hard if you've come from learning GCSEs?

Chemistry is a very large step up from GCSE, the subject is almost unrecognisable! Biology is a big step up to but definitely manageable, I didn’t take psychology GCSE so I can’t comment, but it’s a substantial A-Level.
A-Levels are hard, but that’s why they’re an important step on the way to uni! These options aren’t for the fait of heart but if you like the content you’ll have a blast!
Chemistry is a very large step up from GCSE, the subject is almost unrecognisable! Biology is a big step up to but definitely manageable, I didn’t take psychology GCSE so I can’t comment, but it’s a substantial A-Level.
A-Levels are hard, but that’s why they’re an important step on the way to uni! These options aren’t for the fait of heart but if you like the content you’ll have a blast!

Lol is it how it's so into depth in chemistry, that you can't even recognise it. Ikr i'm very passionate about science so i'll love it! Literally all these normal practicals we do in skwl i get hyped up about! We dissected a cows kidney once it was really cool! So what are your plans in the future preferably studying medicine?
Original post by halsx11
Lol is it how it's so into depth in chemistry, that you can't even recognise it. Ikr i'm very passionate about science so i'll love it! Literally all these normal practicals we do in skwl i get hyped up about! We dissected a cows kidney once it was really cool! So what are your plans in the future preferably studying medicine?

I’d say go to school and get your hands on a chemistry textbook, it’s the best way for getting a feel for the A-Level. A-level chemistry is more like 3 subjects then one; physical, inorganic and organic! Organic is my favourite, probably contrary to the majority of the population! They all require different skills and abilities, some is almost biology, other bits are complex physics like science, and some is very maths-y. It’s my favourite subject but a significant amount of people who liked it at GCSE learn to hate the A-Level!
Studying medicine is the only real plan, then we’ll see what happens from there, I’m interested in obstetrics and gynaecology, coz I think maternal foetal medicine is pretty cool! I also like the surgical aspect of the course! And ideas for yourself?
I’d say go to school and get your hands on a chemistry textbook, it’s the best way for getting a feel for the A-Level. A-level chemistry is more like 3 subjects then one; physical, inorganic and organic! Organic is my favourite, probably contrary to the majority of the population! They all require different skills and abilities, some is almost biology, other bits are complex physics like science, and some is very maths-y. It’s my favourite subject but a significant amount of people who liked it at GCSE learn to hate the A-Level!
Studying medicine is the only real plan, then we’ll see what happens from there, I’m interested in obstetrics and gynaecology, coz I think maternal foetal medicine is pretty cool! I also like the surgical aspect of the course! And ideas for yourself?

Cool! That's literally the first thing i'm going to do after GCSE but revision guides for all 3 A-Level! I learn organic Chemistry at GCSE, i like it as well all about: Alkanes, Alkenes, Hydrocarbons, crude oil and polymers. I've got a friend who wants to go through the obstetrics route as well she wants to be a surgical gynaecologist. And do C-sections and all that. I think I want to go through the neurology pathway but I keep changing everyday! When I've actually done all the rotations after uni then i'll decide but currently that's what i'm thinking. What do you think?
Reply 93
Original post by halsx11
Cool! That's literally the first thing i'm going to do after GCSE but revision guides for all 3 A-Level! I learn organic Chemistry at GCSE, i like it as well all about: Alkanes, Alkenes, Hydrocarbons, crude oil and polymers. I've got a friend who wants to go through the obstetrics route as well she wants to be a surgical gynaecologist. And do C-sections and all that. I think I want to go through the neurology pathway but I keep changing everyday! When I've actually done all the rotations after uni then i'll decide but currently that's what i'm thinking. What do you think?

Just so you know, obstetricians do csections and gynaecologists do the non-pregnant surgery (and ectopic pregnancies)! You usually change your mind through medical school but it’s good to have something you’re really interested in, and you sound passionate :smile:
Original post by ax12
Just so you know, obstetricians do csections and gynaecologists do the non-pregnant surgery (and ectopic pregnancies)! You usually change your mind through medical school but it’s good to have something you’re really interested in, and you sound passionate :smile:

Oh okay i was about to say? Yeah I'm still in school yet for GCSEs so still a long way to go till med-school! Do you go to medical school or a university? I'm passionate about studying medicine cuz i've always wanted to do it from my childhood :smile:
Reply 95
Original post by halsx11
Oh okay i was about to say? Yeah I'm still in school yet for GCSEs so still a long way to go till med-school! Do you go to medical school or a university? I'm passionate about studying medicine cuz i've always wanted to do it from my childhood :smile:

I’m in final year at the moment in Leicester :smile:
Original post by ax12
I’m in final year at the moment in Leicester :smile:

Cool how many years have you done? And what pathway do you want to go into? Have you done your work experience in the hospital?
Reply 97
Original post by halsx11
Cool how many years have you done? And what pathway do you want to go into? Have you done your work experience in the hospital?

5th year. I’m thinking emergency medicine at the moment, wanted to do cardiothoracics before I started though. I’ve spent the last 2 years in hospital full time but we get some exposure from 1st year
Original post by halsx11

A level organic isn’t quite different to gcse, i think it’s much better though. You’ll change your mind 1000 times up to and including through medical school but having an idea what you enjoy is good, if you do plenty of research you can discuss it at an interview!
Original post by ax12
5th year. I’m thinking emergency medicine at the moment, wanted to do cardiothoracics before I started though. I’ve spent the last 2 years in hospital full time but we get some exposure from 1st year

Woah! So your kinda a fully qualified doc? So how are the years different from eachother? Do you get paid for working in the hospital as workexperience like you did the last 2 years?

Latest

Trending

Trending