The Student Room Group

Gcse Revision

Scroll to see replies

Original post by halsx11
Oh okay i think i've already seen it but still need more ways as i've done all of these and still got a 5 in my mocks. I'm going to practice more questions and ask my teacher to mark it to see if I've improved

have you checked out Stacey Reay, trust me she’s amazing
Original post by jemmadelaney
have you checked out Stacey Reay, trust me she’s amazing

Yeah i just found her that other day and she's so good. I'm using her as well with Mr bruff and literally just practicing as many exam questions as i can
i would recommend mr bruff on youtube for english, he got me from a D to an A!
Original post by nintysixthousand
i would recommend mr bruff on youtube for english, he got me from a D to an A!

Yeah i use him.
Reply 24
I only did around 1-2 hours before the exams for my mocks but if i revise effectively for 2 and a half hours daily and 5-6 hours on my Saturday's and Sunday's how many grades do you think i can boost up ?I am going to work through, reading my CGP books then read through BBC Bitesize and do quizzes, after i will watch good YouTube videos. I am hoping to do all that in the 1st month. In my second month i want to focus on questions for all my subjects and then in my last 3rd month I want to focus on past papers. Do you think i can achieve top grades ?
Original post by affiariaz
I only did around 1-2 hours before the exams for my mocks but if i revise effectively for 2 and a half hours daily and 5-6 hours on my Saturday's and Sunday's how many grades do you think i can boost up ?I am going to work through, reading my CGP books then read through BBC Bitesize and do quizzes, after i will watch good YouTube videos. I am hoping to do all that in the 1st month. In my second month i want to focus on questions for all my subjects and then in my last 3rd month I want to focus on past papers. Do you think i can achieve top grades ?

in terms of the way of months are split up I don’t think you should do it like that. I think you should be learning the content then doing practice questions then doing past papers for each subject as you go along because if you leave all the past papers till the end then you’re going to start getting stressed when you don’t know how to do a question however if you do past papers as you’re revising for the subject (for example after you finish the topic) look at past papers and see any questions about the topic that way you can see where your errors are and what to improve without being super stressed in the last month
in terms of the way of months are split up I don’t think you should do it like that. I think you should be learning the content then doing practice questions then doing past papers for each subject as you go along because if you leave all the past papers till the end then you’re going to start getting stressed when you don’t know how to do a question however if you do past papers as you’re revising for the subject (for example after you finish the topic) look at past papers and see any questions about the topic that way you can see where your errors are and what to improve without being super stressed in the last month

Yep that's what im going to do. Learn the content even if i know it go over the topics idk and then do practice papers and questions make flashcards of which ones i got wrong and literally do that all the way x

broo, is it too late to start revision? Well, I've started revising but I have a LOT to cover for the real gcses as the mocks where only parts of the syllabes. My mocks were average except for english and history where i obtained an 8
Original post by rockyball89
broo, is it too late to start revision? Well, I've started revising but I have a LOT to cover for the real gcses as the mocks where only parts of the syllabes. My mocks were average except for english and history where i obtained an 8

It's NOT LATE and its never late! Start NOW to make a difference bro! Revise for your real GCSEs and make sure you know all your content by April. Your so good and english lit wish i was getting garde 9s like you

nooo, it’s never too late trusttttt me!!!! I was cramming till 2am the night before my last 2/3 GCSEs and trust me it really helped (i got 9s in them). You’ve got around 100 days left which is so much time to improve and as long as you use your time right you can achieve sooooo much
nooo, it’s never too late trusttttt me!!!! I was cramming till 2am the night before my last 2/3 GCSEs and trust me it really helped (i got 9s in them). You’ve got around 100 days left which is so much time to improve and as long as you use your time right you can achieve sooooo much

Would you suggest doing like 7 hours daily? Or what will you suggest? Cause I see some people claiming they do 11 hours on snapchat and they put the tag has grinding :redface:
Would you suggest doing like 7 hours daily? Or what will you suggest? Cause I see some people claiming they do 11 hours on snapchat and they put the tag has grinding :redface:

no 11 hours is so unrealistic don’t do that, you’ll just burn yourself out. It depends how well you study like can you work for 1 hour solid then have a break or would you prefer to work in small chunks (e.g 25 mins concentrated work, 5mins break) Also, get rid of your social media!!!! Uninstall any distractions, snapchat will be your downfall trust me. I completely switched my touchscreen phone for a brick phone so that i could avoid all distractions and it honestly worked so well. Try to make a revision timetable from now till your very last exam and make a high level plan of what you want to accomplish at the end of each week and mark it off once you’ve completed a task.When you write it down, you’ll see how much time you really have and you’ll be able to see how much work you’re actually doing rather that how much work you THINK you’ve done
no 11 hours is so unrealistic don’t do that, you’ll just burn yourself out. It depends how well you study like can you work for 1 hour solid then have a break or would you prefer to work in small chunks (e.g 25 mins concentrated work, 5mins break) Also, get rid of your social media!!!! Uninstall any distractions, snapchat will be your downfall trust me. I completely switched my touchscreen phone for a brick phone so that i could avoid all distractions and it honestly worked so well. Try to make a revision timetable from now till your very last exam and make a high level plan of what you want to accomplish at the end of each week and mark it off once you’ve completed a task.When you write it down, you’ll see how much time you really have and you’ll be able to see how much work you’re actually doing rather that how much work you THINK you’ve done

All right thanks a lot! What resource should I use for science, freesciencelessons? OR myGcsescience? My teacher said I should just stick to the textbook because, mygcsescience goes into a level depth but idk anymore.
All right thanks a lot! What resource should I use for science, freesciencelessons? OR myGcsescience? My teacher said I should just stick to the textbook because, mygcsescience goes into a level depth but idk anymore.

i just used the CGP revision guides for chem, bio n physics (i did triple) n honestly they were really good in my opinion. Every now and then i’d watch a freesciencelessons vid if i was stuck but i mainly wrote notes n memorised them from the cgp revision guide n i got a 9 in bio n physics and an 8 in chem
i just used the CGP revision guides for chem, bio n physics (i did triple) n honestly they were really good in my opinion. Every now and then i’d watch a freesciencelessons vid if i was stuck but i mainly wrote notes n memorised them from the cgp revision guide n i got a 9 in bio n physics and an 8 in chem

You are too smart lool! so you basically get 8's and 9's what where you mock grades like? And whendid you start studying?
You are too smart lool! so you basically get 8's and 9's what where you mock grades like? And whendid you start studying?

Ahh thanks😂 i properly started revision at like the end of february so don’t worry because if i brought my grades higher then you easily can cuz you’ve even got an extra month
My mock grades:
Eng lit - 6/7 (can’t remember)
Eng lang - 8
Maths - 8
Physics - 8
Chemistry - 8
Bio - 8
Religious education - 9
French - 7
Geo - 6/7 (can’t remember)
Physical Education - 7

GCSE results :
Eng lit - 9
Eng lang - 8
Maths - 8
Physics - 9
Chem - 8
Bio - 9
r.e - 9
french - 9
geo - 8
p.e - 7
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 36
Does anyone have tips for maths? Really struggling with it and I really just want a grade 6! Whenever I ask people for advice all they say is PRACTICE which I'm bored of and I don't understand! Does anyone have any tips or advice on what a daily routine with maths hsould be like? My school provide me with hegarty maths.
Reply 37
Ahh thanks😂 i properly started revision at like the end of february so don’t worry because if i brought my grades higher then you easily can cuz you’ve even got an extra month
My mock grades:
Eng lang - 8
Maths - 8
Physics - 8
Chemistry - 8
Bio - 8
Religious education - 9
French - 7
Physical Education - 7

GCSE results :
Eng lit - 9
Eng lang - 8
Maths - 8
Physics - 9
Chem - 8
Bio - 9
r.e - 9
french - 9
geo - 8
p.e - 7

WOW well done! You must have worked hard to achieve them grades! You literally did the same exact subjects as me in GCSEs apart from French, I do Spanish. I also do triple science and my exam board is Edexcel. All the smart people in my class use the original Edexcel textbook which is like £20 each. Lots of people recommend to not memorise/use a revision guide as its too summarised and won't help you. but when I watch all these videos of people explaining how they got grade 9s in science and all they did was literally use their cgp revision guides and memorise them.
I am so stuck on what to do and I need to achieve a min grade 7 in both chem and bio. I am struggling a lot with chemistry too. Have you got any advice given that you got an 8 which is GOALS!! haha. Any advice would be appreciated...
Original post by fh2712
WOW well done! You must have worked hard to achieve them grades! You literally did the same exact subjects as me in GCSEs apart from French, I do Spanish. I also do triple science and my exam board is Edexcel. All the smart people in my class use the original Edexcel textbook which is like £20 each. Lots of people recommend to not memorise/use a revision guide as its too summarised and won't help you. but when I watch all these videos of people explaining how they got grade 9s in science and all they did was literally use their cgp revision guides and memorise them.
I am so stuck on what to do and I need to achieve a min grade 7 in both chem and bio. I am struggling a lot with chemistry too. Have you got any advice given that you got an 8 which is GOALS!! haha. Any advice would be appreciated...

for maths I would advice using maths genie. It has lots of videos that you can watch to help understanding. Maths is easier to revise for because if you understand the working out you can apply to any questions. I would advice maybe doing a couple of maths questions a day. I'm guessing you got a grade 4 because I did as well lol, but I'm planning to get a 7 as I've been revising harder for it.
My mock grades:
Eng lang - 8
Maths - 8
Physics - 8
Chemistry - 8
Bio - 8
Religious education - 9
French - 7
Physical Education - 7

GCSE results :
Eng lit - 9
Eng lang - 8
Maths - 8
Physics - 9
Chem - 8
Bio - 9
r.e - 9
french - 9
geo - 8
p.e - 7

Omgg Congrats on ur grades but I bet you were really proud of ur self! I want to be like this as well ur literally my inspiration Thanks for being here for us and giving advice really appreciate it x

Quick Reply

Latest