The Student Room Group

Manufacturers jobs are leaving the Uk

Scroll to see replies

It's sad and pathetic that the people of the NE, who voted heavily for Brexit, are now going to pay the price - severe industrial decline once more. It demonstrates that sometimes, even in a democracy, people need to be protected from external manipulation by evil forces, for their own good.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It's sad and pathetic that the people of the NE, who voted heavily for Brexit, are now going to pay the price - severe industrial decline once more. It demonstrates that sometimes, even in a democracy, people need to be protected from external manipulation by evil forces, for their own good.

Or maybe just the stupid ones eh? As has already been pointed out in this thread there are no jobs being lost so no decline.
Original post by ColinDent
Or maybe just the stupid ones eh? As has already been pointed out in this thread there are no jobs being lost so no decline.

"Retired firefighter Vincent O’Neill, 55, was one of those who voted to leave. He says he now regrets his decision. His fears are about the knock-on effect on the hundreds of local businesses that rely on Nissan. “It isn’t just Nissan, it’s all the jobs in the area. As soon as one big company leaves, the rest will follow. They will all fall like dominoes,” he says."
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/feb/03/sunderland-locals-worry-as-nissan-scraps-plans-to-build-new-x-trail
"Retired firefighter Vincent O’Neill, 55, was one of those who voted to leave. He says he now regrets his decision. His fears are about the knock-on effect on the hundreds of local businesses that rely on Nissan. “It isn’t just Nissan, it’s all the jobs in the area. As soon as one big company leaves, the rest will follow. They will all fall like dominoes,” he says."
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/feb/03/sunderland-locals-worry-as-nissan-scraps-plans-to-build-new-x-trail

Well I have changed my mind now an ex fireman who supposedly voted leave has changed his mind.
Original post by paul514
Well I have changed my mind now an ex fireman who supposedly voted leave has changed his mind.

Oh sorry, we shouldn't refer to local opinion unless they are blinded by racist bigotry into supporting the billionaire tax evader-controlled agenda of Brexit.
Oh sorry, we shouldn't refer to local opinion unless they are blinded by racist bigotry into supporting the billionaire tax evader-controlled agenda of Brexit.

Yes racists only please 🙄
Sorry to inject some reality into this debate.

Nissan, to build cars in Britain under current Just in Time industrial manufacturing principles (used by every significant manufacturer in the world) requires 5m parts a day. Of these, 85% are imported, mainly from the EU.

The company retains half a day's stock because storage of such vast quantities of product for any longer is hugely expensive and inefficient.

Even slight delays to frictionless trade (and all borders not internal to the EU Single Market have friction) will totally disrupt this system, rendering it unviable.

Senior management at Nissan and other leading UK car manufacturers regard Brexit as disastrous unless we stay in the Single Market.

This has come direct from their reported words.
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/oct/04/will-nissan-stay-once-britain-leaves-sunderland-brexit-business-dilemma
Original post by paul514
Yes racists only please 🙄

Although, to be fair, not only racists voted Leave. Morons did too.

Yea only racist morons or at a stretch one or the other.

I believe stuff from the guardian as much as I believe the shite printed in the sun
Sorry to inject some reality into this debate.

Nissan, to build cars in Britain under current Just in Time industrial manufacturing principles (used by every significant manufacturer in the world) requires 5m parts a day. Of these, 85% are imported, mainly from the EU.

The company retains half a day's stock because storage of such vast quantities of product for any longer is hugely expensive and inefficient.

Even slight delays to frictionless trade (and all borders not internal to the EU Single Market have friction) will totally disrupt this system, rendering it unviable.

Senior management at Nissan and other leading UK car manufacturers regard Brexit as disastrous unless we stay in the Single Market.

This has come direct from their reported words.
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/oct/04/will-nissan-stay-once-britain-leaves-sunderland-brexit-business-dilemma

They will still be requiring the gearboxes that are worldwide renowned as being the very best and are manufactured here in the UK, how does that fit their just in time schedule?
Oh and I forgot to say there are many more parts that we manufacture here in the UK that are regarded the best in the world.
(edited 5 years ago)

Preparations for the second referendum going well I see.

Why is it so bad that car sales are down anyway? If we have car use (especially diesel) discouraged everywhere, then it's hardly a surprise that fewer people are buying Land Rovers and other big 4x4s.
Original post by jameswhughes
Preparations for the second referendum going well I see.

Why is it so bad that car sales are down anyway? If we have car use (especially diesel) discouraged everywhere, then it's hardly a surprise that fewer people are buying Land Rovers and other big 4x4s.

Personally I couldn't care less if non-electric vehicle production globally stopped dead - it would do a great deal of good for the environment and reduce CO2 output significantly - but then I'm not a working class blue collar worker in the North East who voted Leave, only to realise a few years later that it would mean losing the only chance of a well paid job I would have.
Personally I couldn't care less if non-electric vehicle production globally stopped dead - it would do a great deal of good for the environment and reduce CO2 output significantly - but then I'm not a working class blue collar worker in the North East who voted Leave, only to realise a few years later that it would mean losing the only chance of a well paid job I would have.

So you couldn't care less about the factory, it's just any way for you to spite the workers? :rolleyes:
Original post by jameswhughes
So you couldn't care less about the factory, it's just any way for you to spite the workers? :rolleyes:

:lolwut: I was just pointing out that the people worst affected by Brexit will likely be working class people in the North and Midlands, not middle class people in the SE.
:lolwut: I was just pointing out that the people worst affected by Brexit will likely be working class people in the North and Midlands, not middle class people in the SE.

Then you are incorrect have you spoken to any working class people in the Midlands or North?
Original post by Burton Bridge
Then you are incorrect have you spoken to any working class people in the Midlands or North?

You feel that they are likely to have strong expertise in the mechanics of EU trade and the likely impact of Brexit on JIT manufacturing processes?
Honda are closing their factory in Swindon more positive brexit news,
Why did you not quote factory closures previous to 2016 on membership of the EU?
Airbus, BMI Baby, Kerry Foods, Nissan, Honda, Ford, Land Rover, Phillips... nothing to do with Brexit, is it guys? Just an unfortunate coincidence, lol. We'll be lucky if there's any jobs left before Brexit, never mind after it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending