The Student Room Group

Why don’t boys like me?

I’m 16 and I know I’m still young but I’ve never had a boyfriend, which is actually unusual in this generation.

I don’t think I’m the best looking girl ever, but I don’t consider myself so ugly that no boy could ever find me pretty. I don’t even have any guy friends. I think it’s probably because there are a lot more prettier girls at my college, and they’ll probably more likely wanna go for girls like them.

I wish I could have boys attracted to my personality instead, but I’m not a loud person in class or in general. My personality only comes through when I’m with my close friends, but I only have like acquaintances in my lessons. I’m so awkwarddd.

I find myself being attracted to nearly any guy I see who is remotely good looking, even if they aren’t that good looking tbh, and wishing they would fancy me, but I think I just crave attention from boys. 😅 I can’t really explain it properly but I hope you get what I mean. How can I get more boys to be interested in me, as myself?

Scroll to see replies

Boys your age only want to "pump and dump", if sex isn't a disposable commodity in your eyes then you're better off waiting until a guy really can commit to you. Perhaps you might be lucky and not have to wait too long for such a guy...
Original post by Anonymous
I’m 16 and I know I’m still young but I’ve never had a boyfriend, which is actually unusual in this generation.

I don’t think I’m the best looking girl ever, but I don’t consider myself so ugly that no boy could ever find me pretty. I don’t even have any guy friends. I think it’s probably because there are a lot more prettier girls at my college, and they’ll probably more likely wanna go for girls like them.

I wish I could have boys attracted to my personality instead, but I’m not a loud person in class or in general. My personality only comes through when I’m with my close friends, but I only have like acquaintances in my lessons. I’m so awkwarddd.

I find myself being attracted to nearly any guy I see who is remotely good looking, even if they aren’t that good looking tbh, and wishing they would fancy me, but I think I just crave attention from boys. 😅 I can’t really explain it properly but I hope you get what I mean. How can I get more boys to be interested in me, as myself?

How can you get them interested?
Go up to them and talk to them, if you're unattractive/obese then wear makeup or lose weight.
Thats litterally all you need to do. Flirt a bit if you have to and show you're interested.

I think your main problem is not going up to them and talking to them from what you've said. It may be hard and you may feel weird/awkward while doing it but yea, talking to them is all you can do. Find something to talk about and whenever you get the opportunity to, do.
Reply 3

It was unusual in my generation too, 13 years ago.

You're probably not ugly. Boys are just funny about who they like at your age. Don't take it personally. You'll find someone.
Reply 4
Original post by hello_shawn
Boys your age only want to "pump and dump"

False and narrow minded. sorry
Boys your age only want to "pump and dump", if sex isn't a disposable commodity in your eyes then you're better off waiting until a guy really can commit to you. Perhaps you might be lucky and not have to wait too long for such a guy...

This isn’t correct at all
My best advice would be to get to know them as a friend first. As a 15 yr old boy, i would be much more interested in dating someone if i knew them as a friend, rather than some random girl who likes me. Once you know each others personality, you might like them, or vice-versa. Also not all boys are interested in sex (tbh most aren’t). Choose the quiet ones with similar interests to you. Good luck :smile:
Reply 7

I’m not looking for sex, but I don’t think boys my age are like that. Of course some are, but I’ve seen even some of the most popular guys who seem like dicks in genuine relationships at my college.
How can you get them interested?
Go up to them and talk to them, if you're unattractive/obese then wear makeup or lose weight.
Thats litterally all you need to do. Flirt a bit if you have to and show you're interested.

I think your main problem is not going up to them and talking to them from what you've said. It may be hard and you may feel weird/awkward while doing it but yea, talking to them is all you can do. Find something to talk about and whenever you get the opportunity to, do.

I get what you mean but even if I did that I’m so awkward that I’d probably make a fool of myself. The guy I like isn’t in any of my classes, so there’s no way to subtly bring up a convo. & Tbh I’m not obese, I’m actually too skinny and guys don’t really like that at all these days. 😓
I'm nearly 20 and a man who hasn't ever had a girlfriend, I'm chilled about it. You may meet people at uni or something, it's not about the quantity of the relationships, but quality!
Reply 9
Original post by CrazyKieth
My best advice would be to get to know them as a friend first. As a 15 yr old boy, i would be much more interested in dating someone if i knew them as a friend, rather than some random girl who likes me. Once you know each others personality, you might like them, or vice-versa. Also not all boys are interested in sex (tbh most aren’t). Choose the quiet ones with similar interests to you. Good luck :smile:

Exactly, I would prefer to be friends with someone too, because I can be attracted to someone but I wouldn’t want anything more unless I really liked them as a person, but I struggle to make friends with boys too just because I’m so awkward with anything that comes to the opposite sex. Thanks for the advice.
I get what you mean but even if I did that I’m so awkward that I’d probably make a fool of myself. The guy I like isn’t in any of my classes, so there’s no way to subtly bring up a convo. & Tbh I’m not obese, I’m actually too skinny and guys don’t really like that at all these days. 😓

Ay, even if you are awkward then its still worth it as you improve at talking to them, some guys find it cute if a girl is shy when talking to them. Idk how to approach someone thats not in my classes, I dont know how to do that myself but at that point I usually just dont bother xD its just 50x harder to go for it. If you're "too skinny" thats fine, most dudes like thin girls (not unhealthy level thin ovc) I personally just prefer "healthy" as I imagine most people do. - not obese or super super thin.
Original post by Elliott M
I'm nearly 20 and a man who hasn't ever had a girlfriend, I'm chilled about it. You may meet people at uni or something, it's not about the quantity of the relationships, but quality!

I agree with you tbh. I guess being in a relationship is fun though, even if you don’t get married to the person. People always remember their high school/college relationships, although some have bad experiences. 🤭 Thanks for the advice. :smile:
I’m in a similar situation,
I’m a 18 year old male, who has never had a girl friend, No one has ever hugged or even kissed me.
I just feel like I’m unloved
if you're shy and average looking then its hard af
I agree with you tbh. I guess being in a relationship is fun though, even if you don’t get married to the person. People always remember their high school/college relationships, although some have bad experiences. 🤭 Thanks for the advice. :smile:

I intend to stay single until I find someone who is low maintenance (as I'm low maintenance myself), and doesn't want to get married (I never want to marry, just a preference)
From how you've described yourself the problem is clear: you're too quiet and boys aren't getting to see your personality because you reserve that side of yourself for your close friends.

It doesn't sound like that boys dislike like you; it sounds more like you're not showing enough of your personality for them to even really be interested enough in getting to know you.
I’m about to start uni in September and I’ve never had a BF either. I left my school to go to college and I’ve met so many people but no one is interested in me. I’ve been round a guy’s house just me and him and like we watched the apprentice and I went home and he’s kinda been cutting me off. I’ve just realised boys aren’t everything and if someone was interested in me, they’d show it. Focus on yourself xx
Ay, even if you are awkward then its still worth it as you improve at talking to them, some guys find it cute if a girl is shy when talking to them. Idk how to approach someone thats not in my classes, I dont know how to do that myself but at that point I usually just dont bother xD its just 50x harder to go for it. If you're "too skinny" thats fine, most dudes like thin girls (not unhealthy level thin ovc) I personally just prefer "healthy" as I imagine most people do. - not obese or super super thin.

I guess so, but I feel like I wouldn’t look cute - I’d just look a mess. & ah that’s a shame. I don’t imagine there’s any way to bring up a convo with someone who isn’t in your lessons. And yeah I’m not super skinny like ribs showing and stuff, and my bmi is healthy, but still. Most guys my age like girls who have a body like Kylie Jenner, even though she’s had surgery. Thanks for the advice. :smile:
Original post by sinfonietta
From how you've described yourself the problem is clear: you're too quiet and boys aren't getting to see your personality because you reserve that side of yourself for your close friends.

It doesn't sound like that boys dislike like you; it sounds more like you're not showing enough of your personality for them to even really be interested enough in getting to know you.

This and if you really find it awkward its probably best to first try to make friends with boys first before trying to jump into relationships.
Original post by Rainfall
if you're shy and average looking then its hard af

I agree with you - I’m a ugly alpha male but I can’t do anything

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending