The Student Room Group

Silly story of the Day, Sun 3

British officials have revived cold war emergency plans to relocate the royal family should there be riots in London if Britain suffers a disruptive departure from the European Union, two Sunday newspapers have reported.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/03/queen-to-be-evacuated-if-brexit-turns-ugly-reports

There is such thing as Project Fear but this is just silly. Who reads these things?
Original post by zhog
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/03/queen-to-be-evacuated-if-brexit-turns-ugly-reports

There is such thing as Project Fear but this is just silly. Who reads these things?

Civil servants have to do contingency planning for all sorts of events that you will never hear about. That is the point of contingency planning. If the government had done more prep for no deal, then there would be less alarm for the businesses currently facing massive uncertainty.

I saw he article but didnt pay it much attention, but you obviously feel its importnat enough to start a thread about it.
Original post by zhog

It’s obviously outrageous and clearly politically motivated with how the media reported it as ‘no deal riots’ instead of riots or simply Brexit riots.

Laughable how people read these things and don’t see that.
Original post by paul514
It’s obviously outrageous and clearly politically motivated with how the media reported it as ‘no deal riots’ instead of riots or simply Brexit riots.

They know Remainers better than we do but I doubt Yvette and the rest would make the Queen run for her life like that. Sure, there will be plans for what to do if the Martians land as well.
Original post by 999tigger
I saw he article but didnt pay it much attention, but you obviously feel its importnat enough to start a thread about it.

Why not, you found it important enough to reply to. :biggrin:
Never mind all that, something else has been bothering me lately. As part of the expectations on what may happen in a no-deal scenario, it made the news last week that we could run out of lettuce in our stores as a consequence. It's that thing with disruption to business, apparently.

I've been wondering what would happen to that lettuce that would fail to find its way to our local store, what would the French farmer do with it instead of exporting it to us. I hope they don't get riots in the EU over the no-deal that would make them have to keep their produce, French farmers and Dutch tulip-growers wouldn't be happy at all. Do they have plans to evacuate Juncker and his court in Brussels?
Original post by zhog
Never mind all that, something else has been bothering me lately. As part of the expectations on what may happen in a no-deal scenario, it made the news last week that we could run out of lettuce in our stores as a consequence. It's that thing with disruption to business, apparently.

I've been wondering what would happen to that lettuce that would fail to find its way to our local store, what would the French farmer do with it instead of exporting it to us. I hope they don't get riots in the EU over the no-deal that would make them have to keep their produce, French farmers and Dutch tulip-growers wouldn't be happy at all. Do they have plans to evacuate Juncker and his court in Brussels?

I'm hoping for riots, it is the only form of protest that gets **** done.
Original post by paul514

Laughable how people read these things and don’t see that.

I hope you’re not suggesting the media is a monolithic entity controlled by a few ‘cosmopolitan’ individuals, because that would be bordering on anti Semitic. Next you’ll be saying that the banks and Hollywood are all run by the same people, and we really can’t have that 😉

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending