The Student Room Group

Stupid voting

Why is it ....on a large scale, we are a democratic national. England,Northern Ireland,Scotland,Wales. We vote for something and the majority win. We accept it and move on.
Yet when it comes to things like referendums, like the EU referendum or Scottish polls to leave or stay...people keep demanding again.
We voted leave, yet people demand another vote...but if we were to vote again and we voted out again would the remainers demand another vote ....until they got the answer they wanted? If the remaining side did get vote stay then it would change. I guarantee they would not allow a 3rd vote to leave....it would be 1 rule for them another rule for everyone else. Same with Scotland they have asked if they wanted to stay or go, they said stay....yet that nutty woman keeps pushing for a vote.
...I thought we were a democracy
...yet they seem to forget this. When primeministers get voted in and we don't want them in,....why does noone else ask for another vote? May can now be forced out of office by the public....yet she remains. People seem dumb....
I just don't get it...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah, no.

This has been done to death here, read a few threads.
Well of course people do moan about it and say things like 'how come we've got a tory PM when most people didn't vote tory'

they're just being drowned out by the brexit uproar.
Original post by Drewski
Yeah, no.

This has been done to death here, read a few threads.

I agree I've said my bit on this in previous topics, just look though recent Brexit topics and you will see
Original post by pe-goose
Why is it ....on a large scale, we are a democratic national. England,Northern Ireland,Scotland,Wales. We vote for something and the majority win. We accept it and move on.
Yet when it comes to things like referendums, like the EU referendum or Scottish polls to leave or stay...people keep demanding again.
We voted leave, yet people demand another vote...but if we were to vote again and we voted out again would the remainers demand another vote ....until they got the answer they wanted? If the remaining side did get vote stay then it would change. I guarantee they would not allow a 3rd vote to leave....it would be 1 rule for them another rule for everyone else. Same with Scotland they have asked if they wanted to stay or go, they said stay....yet that nutty woman keeps pushing for a vote.
...yet they seem to forget this. When primeministers get voted in and we don't want them in,....why does noone else ask for another vote? May can now be forced out of office by the public....yet she remains. People seem dumb....
I just don't get it...

When you don't vote like you are expected to, you are asked to vote again and again until you vote the way they expect. People live in the illusion of democracy and happy to go against democratic principles, as long as it ties into their preferences.
Reply 5
I know Alot of ppl who voted stay wasn't sure and dint know what to do and the BBC and news advised to stay so they did...says it all
Left wings news brainwashing people.
Reply 6
I know Alot of ppl who voted stay wasn't sure and dint know what to do and the BBC and news advised to stay so they did...says it all
Left wings news brainwashing people.

Oh bore off, troll
Original post by Drewski
Oh bore off, troll

Now just hang on a minute this website is literally full of condensending opinions like @pe-goose has said aimed at leave but one aimed at remain gets the poster called a troll within 2 minutes!
Inequality to remainers now that’s funny the liberal media elite have been supporting remain from the outset with Brexit supporters getting a fifth of the air time and being mocked when they do. Presenters trying to make all brexiteers look like racist ignorant thugs.
I didn’t know it wasn’t your point but I will concede I misunderstood. I agree our government is useless our politicians in general are useless imho the whole political system needs a serious overhaul to be fit for purpose.
Original post by Burton Bridge
Now just hang on a minute this website is literally full of condensending opinions like @pe-goose has said aimed at leave but one aimed at remain gets the poster called a troll within 2 minutes!

No, I call people out for being idiots, regardless of political leaning.
Original post by Drewski
No, I call people out for being idiots, regardless of political leaning.

You'd better get posting then to prove this, you will be calling a hell of a lot of people trolls mind you if what you say is true.
I just don't get it...

We just want another vote now the Boris blinkers have been removed. Brexiteers in disguise...
Original post by Vinny C
We just want another vote now the Boris blinkers have been removed. Brexiteers in disguise...

There is a subtle hope among remainers that another vote would keep the UK in the EU, but what happens if the second vote is for Brexit? Do we have a third vote? It is ridiculous.

Also, should Scotland have a second vote after the SNP lost the first one?

This is really silly.
Original post by Wired_1800
There is a subtle hope among remainers that another vote would keep the UK in the EU, but what happens if the second vote is for Brexit? Do we have a third vote? It is ridiculous.

Also, should Scotland have a second vote after the SNP lost the first one?

This is really silly.

Nope and nope... if leave win second time around, we get what we deserve. At least we went in eyes open.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Vinny C
Nope and nope... if leave win second time around, we get what we deserve. At least we went in eyes open.

I honestly don't believe that. Remainers made the same arguments during the first vote. Then they said we were “lied” to and that now we all know the truth.

I think that if the Government should allow for a second vote, then the Scots should be given another vote.
I think that much of the issue with Brexit is how close it was, however I 100% agree that it would be stupid to have another referendum. Perhaps if/when the final deal is agreed, a referendum on whether to leave on those terms, or with no deal, would make sense, but if we have a second in/out vote then I believe it would be extremely damaging to the integrity of UK politics.

People need to accept the result and move on. (Unfortunately) we are leaving, and should now focus on damage limitation rather than wishful thinking.
Original post by Wired_1800
I honestly don't believe that. Remainers made the same arguments during the first vote. Then they said we were “lied” to and that now we all know the truth.

I think that if the Government should allow for a second vote, then the Scots should be given another vote.

Should we remain... then the Scots have no grounds.
We’re stronger than Switzerland and Norway by about 10 economy sizes at least. And it’s called a direct democracy, still democracy.
Original post by Vinny C
Should we remain... then the Scots have no grounds.

That is exactly the point that people dont seem to understand. The Scotland question is not just about Europe. Besides it is all hope.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending