The Student Room Group

How can I do Art at A Level

I am looking into doing Fine Art or something along those lines at A-Level, but I worry that I won't be able to. I'm currently in Year 10 and I have chosen French, Geography, Business Studies and Triple Science for GCSE(Along with the usual English, Maths, Biology, Physics, and Chemistry). Most colleges need a Grade 5 or above in Art, Textiles or Design
Original post by emilyswinge
I am looking into doing Fine Art or something along those lines at A-Level, but I worry that I won't be able to. I'm currently in Year 10 and I have chosen French, Geography, Business Studies and Triple Science for GCSE(Along with the usual English, Maths, Biology, Physics, and Chemistry). Most colleges need a Grade 5 or above in Art, Textiles or Design

Given that you are not doing any of those things, You should ask your local colleges what you can do to demonstrate that you are capable of Art A level success. I imagine they would want to see a portfolio of work you had put together.

Why arent you doing GCSE Art?

Sometimes if you have a strong enough portgolio then they might consider letting you start at A level.
There are some courses but as art needs to be assessed then they tend to be very expensive.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Why arent you doing GCSE Art?

Sometimes if you have a strong enough portgolio then they might consider letting you start at A level.
There are some courses but as art needs to be assessed then they tend to be very expensive.

My school offered choices but only in set options, for example I couldn’t do triple science and art, or french and DT. Its rubbish
My school offered choices but only in set options, for example I couldn’t do triple science and art, or french and DT. Its rubbish

Talk to the art teacher and see if you can work something out.v Alternatively look for another school or college.

Quick Reply

Latest