The Student Room Group

University and tinnitus

There probably won't be, but I was wondering if there are any students on here who also suffer from tinnitus? Im hoping to go to uni in 2019 so any support/advice would be much appreciated :smile: (Worried about clubbing etc)
Original post by BabyPoppadom
There probably won't be, but I was wondering if there are any students on here who also suffer from tinnitus? Im hoping to go to uni in 2019 so any support/advice would be much appreciated :smile: (Worried about clubbing etc)

Hi there, I’m not going to uni yet but I do suffer from tinnitus. Whenever I am in a loud environment such as a concert I use these ear plugs called “Alpine party plugs” they work really well and your tinnitus doesn’t get any worse, in my experience anyway. I wish you all the best, I know it can be tough sometimes, Pm me if you ever want to talk about it 🙂
Original post by Icykitten
Hi there, I’m not going to uni yet but I do suffer from tinnitus. Whenever I am in a loud environment such as a concert I use these ear plugs called “Alpine party plugs” they work really well and your tinnitus doesn’t get any worse, in my experience anyway. I wish you all the best, I know it can be tough sometimes, Pm me if you ever want to talk about it 🙂

Hey, thank you! Is your tinnitus noise induced?
Hey, thank you! Is your tinnitus noise induced?

Partially, the tinnitus I got from noise was only minor, so minor that I thought it was normal, it was when I got a really bad virus last year that made it so bad I couldn’t cope ☹️ But I’m dealing with it much better now, how about you?
Partially, the tinnitus I got from noise was only minor, so minor that I thought it was normal, it was when I got a really bad virus last year that made it so bad I couldn’t cope ☹️ But I’m dealing with it much better now, how about you?

I don't actually know yet. I've only had it for a month and a half but i'm pretty sure it's noise induced as I got it after I took my headphones out :frown: The severity of mine really depends on my mood, sometimes I forget I have it and others its so loud and persistent I can't focus on anything
I don't actually know yet. I've only had it for a month and a half but i'm pretty sure it's noise induced as I got it after I took my headphones out :frown: The severity of mine really depends on my mood, sometimes I forget I have it and others its so loud and persistent I can't focus on anything

Yeah, it’s kind of weird how when you aren’t thinking about it it’s like it was never there and then when you focus on it it becomes really loud. Mine also gets really annoying sometimes because the actual sound of it changes so it’s hard to “get use to it” until a couple of days after the change. Have you ever had this or had yours always been the same sound? I also find mine is the worst when I have anxiety ☹️
Yeah, it’s kind of weird how when you aren’t thinking about it it’s like it was never there and then when you focus on it it becomes really loud. Mine also gets really annoying sometimes because the actual sound of it changes so it’s hard to “get use to it” until a couple of days after the change. Have you ever had this or had yours always been the same sound? I also find mine is the worst when I have anxiety ☹️

Yeah igy!! For a couple days at a time a new tone will come along and it will really upset me but more than anything not being able to use my earphones is the hardest bc prior to tinnitus music was my escape. Just hoping that my tinnitus doesn't get way worse after clubbing ad festivals etc, how old are u if youdon't mind me asking?
Yeah igy!! For a couple days at a time a new tone will come along and it will really upset me but more than anything not being able to use my earphones is the hardest bc prior to tinnitus music was my escape. Just hoping that my tinnitus doesn't get way worse after clubbing ad festivals etc, how old are u if youdon't mind me asking?

I’m 16, got it when I was 15. Hopefully it won’t get much worse, I just use a good pair of earplugs and I’m normally ok 🙂
Hi; I can't help you with personal experience as I don't currently suffer from tinnitus (although I do suffer from a form of degenerative hearing loss!). However, my late grandmother suffered terribly with tinnitus. The way she dealt with it was partially by using ear plugs/headphones when out that helped to cancel out noise, I think they may have been the ones @Icykitten mentioned! Also, she used white noise whenever she was concentrating (so reading, doing wordsearches etc) or trying to sleep as it balanced and cancelled out the tinnitus enough for her to ignore it.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Hi! I start uni in 2019 too and have tinnitus since 5 months ago, probably noise induced. I'm definitely worried about the social aspect of uni- I want to go clubbing but don't want my tinnitus to get worse. But I don't want to be holed up in my room all the time listening to it either! If you don't mind me asking - what unis have you applied to?
Original post by pearlgrey
Hi! I start uni in 2019 too and have tinnitus since 5 months ago, probably noise induced. I'm definitely worried about the social aspect of uni- I want to go clubbing but don't want my tinnitus to get worse. But I don't want to be holed up in my room all the time listening to it either! If you don't mind me asking - what unis have you applied to?

Hey! As a side note, I went clubbing a few weeks ago with plugs and my tinnitus was fine! A bit louder the next day (could’ve been by awareness however) but all was okay. I’ve applied to Leeds, Bristol, Newcastle and Birmingham (got rejected from KCL lmao) probs gonna go Leeds or Bristol
Hey! As a side note, I went clubbing a few weeks ago with plugs and my tinnitus was fine! A bit louder the next day (could’ve been by awareness however) but all was okay. I’ve applied to Leeds, Bristol, Newcastle and Birmingham (got rejected from KCL lmao) probs gonna go Leeds or Bristol

That's awesome! What kind of plugs did you use? I haven't been out since I got tinnitus cause I've been too scared rip. I used to go to a bunch of concerts too, that's prob how I got my tinnitus. Oh sick, I got an offer from Bristol too:smile:
Original post by pearlgrey
That's awesome! What kind of plugs did you use? I haven't been out since I got tinnitus cause I've been too scared rip. I used to go to a bunch of concerts too, that's prob how I got my tinnitus. Oh sick, I got an offer from Bristol too:smile:

Ayyy where do u think ur gonna firm? And I used earpeace, I have a concert next month and I’m also ******** myself lol but music is such a big part of my life, I can’t let it go.
Ayyy where do u think ur gonna firm? And I used earpeace, I have a concert next month and I’m also ******** myself lol but music is such a big part of my life, I can’t let it go.

Hey sorry for the late reply! Prob gonna firm Exeter but still undecided tbh. Ahh good luck let me know how it goes. Same here, at the moment my anxiety is outweighing my love of music though :/ It’s really good that you’re still going out and doing stuff, I hope I can get there soon!

Having had actual therapy for tinnitus, I can tell you that once it progresses to a certain level, you've damaged the hairs/nerves in your ears beyond repair. If you have pulsatile tinnitus (hear/feel your heartbeat in your ear), see your doctor. At the first stage, I had to use white noise to train myself to stop listening to it in a sort of CT type of session. Many people found that when they reduced their stress, they reduced the ringing. I can tell you that even with hearing protection, it didn't 'cure' the tinnitus. So then I progressed to wearing special hearing aids that pump white noise directly into my ears and connect to a T-Loop. (uni t-loops are rubbish) It sounds like people are mumbling when I'm not wearing them. In 20 years you'll tell yourself that clubbing probably wasn't worth it. (As an aside, if you're on meds, take a look at any side effects. Some are known to cause tinnitus.)
hi!! I’m really late but i’m currently at uni and I suffer really badly with tinnitus. i’m currently going through a tricky spike but the majority of my time at uni has been absolutely fine! if you wanna send me a message or chat about anything then feel free :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest