The Student Room Group

Females aren't treated equally to males

Who agrees?

Scroll to see replies

Women have it unbelievably easy. I assume you're a girl. If you were given the option to start life over again, would you choose to be a male?
Very contextual, some cases everyone is equal, some cases being a woman can be advantageous or disadvantageous
Original post by luketprg
Very contextual, some cases everyone is equal, some cases being a woman can be advantageous or disadvantageous

Exactly what I wanted to say but I was sceptical to post and I cba for an argument lol.
Reply 4
Original post by littlejohnson
Women have it unbelievably easy. I assume you're a girl. If you were given the option to start life over again, would you choose to be a male?

Yeah I would choose to be male. Saying being a women is "unbelievably easy" kind of suggests you think that being a man is difficult? Which is a load of rubbish.
Reply 5
Original post by luketprg

Whilst that's true, wouldn't you say that overall, women face greater struggles, in both western society but especially in the third world?
It's a lot harder to be a girl. We get paid less, we're more likely to be victims of domestic abuse, we're more likely to be sexually abused, we're more likely to suffer from mental illness. We're less likely to recieve a basic level of education. I don't even know why I'm bothering to post this it's just basic stuff folks lol
There aren't many people who've experienced the third world commenting on TSR, so I doubt you have experience with Male or female struggles there.
Reply 8
Original post by Giggles964
There aren't many people who've experienced the third world commenting on TSR, so I doubt you have experience with Male or female struggles there.

Of course I don't have any personal struggles in the third world, but you have to be a moron to not see, if you do some basic research, how opressed women are.
Reply 9
You don't get paid less because you're a woman. It's been illegal in the UK to pay differently based on sex for 40 odd years.

This is maybe the myth that irritates me the most.
Yea rite why dont why cry about how hard you have it in life
Original post by Mike172
You don't get paid less because you're a woman. It's been illegal in the UK to pay differently based on sex for 40 odd years.

Yes, whilst I also don't agree with that myth, there are other reasons being a female is more difficult than being a male.
Yeah, they get to go off the Titanic first with the babes. Ovary privilege.
Original post by Anonymous
It's a lot harder to be a girl. We get paid less, we're more likely to be victims of domestic abuse, we're more likely to be sexually abused, we're more likely to suffer from mental illness. We're less likely to recieve a basic level of education. I don't even know why I'm bothering to post this it's just basic stuff folks lol

Men’s suicide rates are 3 times higher than Women’s so don’t try and use the mental health point.Also you can’t talk about not getting education.In Britain you have equal opportunities for education.
Original post by Giggles964

You don't have to live there to know the struggles people face there, esp women who are treated as property. I am no feminist and think western feminism is silly but what happens elsewhere, mainly middle east, is absolutely disgusting and unhuman
Original post by Randyyy
Yea rite why dont why cry about how hard you have it in life

No thanks, I'm just going to say it on this thread and get reactions like yours, which sounds closer to crying than anything I've ever posted. Also if you're so triggered by this, why don't you come up with a counter argument, in that big, masculine brain of yours.
of course they aren't treated the same. females are meant to be girly and men are meant to be hard
Original post by Anonymous
Whilst that's true, wouldn't you say that overall, women face greater struggles, in both western society but especially in the third world?

I would obviously agree that in countries where either economics development or societal norms limit women, it is extremely disadvantageous to be one. In some cases being more of a commodity, which is obviously horrible, however things are improving, as seen with the allowance of driving in Saudi Arabia. (Don’t get me wrong gender equality is still dreadful there). I think it would be unwise to assume that men can’t suffer from mental health issues and problems such as domestic abuse, but I understand and agree with your point that statistically this can be more dangerous for women. I don’t want to argue about this because inequality is obviously still present, but to say that it significantly limits women’s ability to succeed in the modern age would be naive, an extremely high level of education and success can be achieved in today’s society no matter gender or race.
Original post by tesconyc
of course they aren't treated the same. females are meant to be girly and men are meant to be hard

Do you think that's right? Men being "hard" - they are forced to shove any sign of "weakness" to the back of their brain, which inevitably causes a huge decline in mental health.
Whilst women can be considered "weak" - whom wealthy men don't respect and use as objects like they have the same worth as superficial things. Women get shamed for sleeping around, whilst men get praised...etc..
Original post by Mike172

It's not a myth. Women from a young age are pushed into different fields to men, fields that commonly pay less. Society expects them to take on most of the child-care duties in the family resulting and shames them viciously if they don't- often meaning they miss out on career oppertunities. Women are called 'bossy' and 'b**chy' when a man acting the same way would be praised as a 'leader' and 'decisive' so they are ignored when it comes to promotions. Many fields which pay the most such as tech create a very hostile enviroment which put women off. And let me just say, you are completely forgetting women in third world countries. I'm not even going to get into why being a woman in a third world country results in you being paid less because it's obvious.

Quick Reply

Latest