The Student Room Group

Why am I so scared of teachers?

Right somI would like to start by saying I have not been diagnosed with anxiety and my Mum won't let me go and get tested because she says that my panic attacks are normal so I don't see a way to be diagnosed with anxiety as a solution
My issue is that one of the main times that I get panic attacks is when I am alone with teachers whether that be picking up a glue stick or books or talking to them about homework I always have to have a friend with me or I start to panic. My Mum is a teacher although I am not nervous around her.
My issue is that I have been given the opportunity to take Spanish as a 4th alevel but it would mean that it was just me and the teacher and I get very nervous. I had a taster session and left it, was fine, started crying until I found my friends and I couldn't stop shaking for an hour.
I don't know what to do and I don't know how to stop this from preventing me from taking opportunities like this one.
Please help!
Reply 1
Teachers can be scary as sh*t
I’m not sure why this happens but have you tried to fight this feeling? Like trying to talk more to your teachers? A lot of teachers are very friendly when you chat with them they don’t mind just talk about stuff not related to homework like helping in the activities and stuff
Reply 3
I am also afraid of teachers in second grade I had a teacher who would yell every single day and send me home crying I'm in 7th grade now but there's just one sixth grade teacher that terrifies me he is wayy touchy I saw him walk by and after he left I walked down the hall and 2 six grader's came out of a door and I jumped... i thought it was hin he's literally forced me into a hug i almost had a panic attack right there I'm afraid to be touched... dang he's scary😢😢😢
Reply 4
Original post by MoonLily
I am also afraid of teachers in second grade I had a teacher who would yell every single day and send me home crying I'm in 7th grade now but there's just one sixth grade teacher that terrifies me he is wayy touchy I saw him walk by and after he left I walked down the hall and 2 six grader's came out of a door and I jumped... i thought it was hin he's literally forced me into a hug i almost had a panic attack right there I'm afraid to be touched... dang he's scary😢😢😢

If he’s ‘touchy’ and gave you a hug and you’re scared you can report him and get him fired for molesting
Reply 5
Try to remember that teachers are actually just normal humans! Try going to see this teacher outside of lesson time and talking to them about something random. Do this a few times until you start feeling more comfortable.

Alternatively, are there any teachers in school that you do feel comfortable talking to? You could explain how you're feeling to them and ask them to explain it to the teacher you're worried about. That way they will be aware of how you're feeling without actually having to confront it yourself.

Try to remember that most teachers are actually pretty kind and friendly people, especially once you're a bit older and they don't need to lay down the law so much.
Reply 6
Is this anxiety of all people you feel are in positions of authority or just teachers? Is there any teacher you can speak to?
There is no simple answer, I suppose. I had trouble myself in this respect, though not to the same extent. A diagnosis of anxiety is not a solution, but recognising what is the problem, whatever name you give it, and growing to understand it and find coping mechanisms can be, which can come from medical advice and diagnosis.
A teacher is a person just as you and your friends are. All humans are equal so NO ONE is your superior. The gap between you and them may seem great but perhaps by beginning to engage with them, you may lessen your fear. Perhaps you could go with a friend after class and get the friend to ask about schoolwork and gradually begin to contribute yourself? You could beging to say hello sir/miss, when you come in to class, and then perhaps acknowledge them in the hallways if you don't already.
You may have to miss out on the Spanish opportunity if you cannot find a way to cope, but beginning the process of reducing your fear is more significant.
Reply 7
Original post by _WOLF_
If he’s ‘touchy’ and gave you a hug and you’re scared you can report him and get him fired for molesting

Almost all of my friends agree with me he's grabbed one of my friends hands telling her to watch the class while went to the bathroom and when you ask for help on the computer he puts both his arms around you practically trapping you with his chest to your back.
Reply 8
Original post by MoonLily
Almost all of my friends agree with me he's grabbed one of my friends hands telling her to watch the class while went to the bathroom and when you ask for help on the computer he puts both his arms around you practically trapping you with his chest to your back.

That’s really weird, no teacher should be doing anything like that. You should seriously report him and think about getting some evidence ie record him
Just remember to stay safe and keep your distance, you don’t know what that creep is capable of
coz you choose to become his enemy.
Teachers are human, I'm sure you won't be the first student who comes across as anxious, so don't worry. It might not help that its just you and the teacher, but over time you will get to know each other. Sorry I could not be of more help.
Original post by K9s_scientist
Right somI would like to start by saying I have not been diagnosed with anxiety and my Mum won't let me go and get tested because she says that my panic attacks are normal so I don't see a way to be diagnosed with anxiety as a solution
My issue is that one of the main times that I get panic attacks is when I am alone with teachers whether that be picking up a glue stick or books or talking to them about homework I always have to have a friend with me or I start to panic. My Mum is a teacher although I am not nervous around her.
My issue is that I have been given the opportunity to take Spanish as a 4th alevel but it would mean that it was just me and the teacher and I get very nervous. I had a taster session and left it, was fine, started crying until I found my friends and I couldn't stop shaking for an hour.
I don't know what to do and I don't know how to stop this from preventing me from taking opportunities like this one.
Please help!
Reply 11
It's quite hard when you have anxiety for teachers. I can even go to school, I don't look or talk to the teacher I just shut down. I just want to run away, it's not like I don't like learning, it's not so fun but it is if you know what I mean. I'm just so scared of them you can't just talk to them. It's hard
I used to have anxiety around teachers at primary school because they were really strict. I would sit there and not move at all. So there's my experience. But once you get to know them, you know that they are there to help you. Hopefully, that will ease your anxiety a bit.
Reply 13
Also quite scared of teachers I can however talk to them about non school related things and be perfectly fine however when it gets to school related things I get really scared I feel sick get a cold sweat and get clammy and it really bad circumstances I even dry retch (sorry if that’s tmi) I didn’t think anyone else was like this and never thought to google it until today it’s kinda nice to know I’m not alone
what did he do?

they're not allowed anything you know....nothing...they just tell you stuffff!!!!

school and road and high wayyyyyy..........................la la la....
Original post by K9s_scientist
Please help!

Whenever teachers shout I can't help but laugh tbh

Quick Reply

Latest