The Student Room Group

Norway tells students to avoid UK universities

Scroll to see replies

Norway's making a political tool out of it. They want to avoid Norwegian students going abroad. Norway being outside the EU knows Brexit reasons are overblown. I welcome there being less EU students. There are more places for other international students paying higher fees. It's good for unis. There's more places for home students as well. Great news!
Wonderful news, perhaps we’ll have fewer universities selling pointless degrees to naive eighteen year olds as a knock on consequence
Original post by Underscore__
Wonderful news, perhaps we’ll have fewer universities selling pointless degrees to naive eighteen year olds as a knock on consequence

Not saying it's why you said that, but this does seem to be the typical Brexiteer response to any difficulty, no matter how serious or fatal - "we can manage better without it, can't we"? I wonder if harcore fantasy Brexiteers will still be pushing this line when we are subsisting off one can of Spam each per week.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Not saying it's why you said that, but this does seem to be the typical Brexiteer response to any difficulty, no matter how serious or fatal - "we can manage better without it, can't we"? I wonder if harcore fantasy Brexiteers will still be pushing this line when we are subsisting off one can of Spam each per week.

Is our agriculture going to shut down because they have issues exporting?
Surely the first of many such announcements to come across the world. The Norwegian government is advising its students not to apply to UK universities because of Brexit.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/04/norway-students-uk-universities-brexit-warning

Postgrad applications from the EU are down 9% this year. This represents a major blow to UK university funding and cuts are now pretty much inevitable - it is also extremely likely that some universities in severe debt will go bust.

Another success for the Brexiteers.

Tbf the Norwegians are ignorant on this front. The UK government has for a long time guaranteed 2019 starters to have their funding on the same basis as they currently are for the length of their degree. She should get her facts straight and at least tell the truth. She appears to be ignorant and should apologise.

It would be ok to say this for students starting from 2020.
Original post by Decahedron
Is our agriculture going to shut down because they have issues exporting?

How in your opinion will UK agriculture fare when faced with tariffs of between 20 and 50% on our products sold into the EU, massive delays getting the feedstuffs here from the EU (which more than half of UK livestock critically rely on) and with a massive drop (already happening) in the 80,000 seasonal workers from the EU who pick our crops and are now actively discouraged under Theresa May's Hate the Foreigners scheme (officially known as "Harsh Environment")?
I doubt Norwegian students wanting to study at Regents, Richmond or Oxbridge will give much attention to the government advice.
Higher numbers of UK citizens probably attend university in Norway to take advantage of the free tuition.
How in your opinion will UK agriculture fare when faced with tariffs of between 20 and 50% on our products sold into the EU, massive delays getting the feedstuffs here from the EU (which more than half of UK livestock critically rely on) and with a massive drop (already happening) in the 80,000 seasonal workers from the EU who pick our crops and are now actively discouraged under Theresa May's Hate the Foreigners scheme (officially known as "Harsh Environment")?

We certainly aren't going to starve as you made it out to be.
Good, more places for British students.
Norway is not in the EU itself :curious:
Surely the first of many such announcements to come across the world. The Norwegian government is advising its students not to apply to UK universities because of Brexit.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/04/norway-students-uk-universities-brexit-warning

Postgrad applications from the EU are down 9% this year. This represents a major blow to UK university funding and cuts are now pretty much inevitable - it is also extremely likely that some universities in severe debt will go bust.

Another success for the Brexiteers.

Oh, our poor unviersities. This will definitely affect their funding. Where will they find the money to fund the seven figure salaries of their chancellors. Our chancellors are going to be sleeping without heating this winter because they won't be able to pay their gas and electrical bills. :frown: You know the first thing came to my mind when I read this article was this bit from SouthPark:

I read an article recently that said that in the UK over 30% of university funds go to pay chancellors and their bonuses. Frankly, I could care less how much this affects university funding despite the fact that I know the first people affected by things like are always the students. I just don't give a damn anymore. I just want to get my degree from these institutions and move on.
(edited 5 years ago)

1. I’m not a brexiteer
2. It’s utterly ridiculous to think we’re going to end up a third world country as a result of leaving the EU
3. You’ve completely missed the point of what I was saying.
Reply 32
A relevant clarification about the article:

"An adviser in Nybø’s department, has since pointed out that she was directing her remarks to students going on exchange next autumn via the Erasmus programme.

She said: The uncertainty associated with the Erasmus programme is great.

On those studying for a full degree in the UK she said: If someone wants to start on a degree programme now, that will probably work out fine, but there is still some uncertainty concerning how much bureaucracy it will entail.”"

Original post by JMR2019.
Norway is not in the EU itself :curious:

It is in Erasmus. It is also in the EEA (edit: which has some benefits for tuition fees, but note doesn't qualify for Home/EU fees).
Both programs are at risk in a no-deal Brexit.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by jameswhughes
Absolutely. While there could be some issues that need solving, people are so pathetic and pessimistic they think that universites would be incapable of setting up a way for EU students to come and study here. How do they think people manage to come from the rest of the world? :lol:

I don't think you realise this but no one is concerned about whether they are going to get into uni. They are more concerned about their fee status. Norwegian students pay home rate fees because they are in the EEA but this may change when the UK leaves the EU.
(edited 5 years ago)
It is quite sad that even after being told 2-3 times by doonesbury, no one in this thread realises that Norwegians pay home rate fees because they are part of the EEA.

At least read part of the thread before posting anything.

Original post by 999tigger
Tbf the Norwegians are ignorant on this front. The UK government has for a long time guaranteed 2019 starters to have their funding on the same basis as they currently are for the length of their degree. She should get her facts straight and at least tell the truth. She appears to be ignorant and should apologise.

Except that those who have applied for 2019 entry has already done so at least a month ago as the deadline has already passed. This is only relevant for 2020 applicants.
Original post by stoyfan
It is quite sad that even after being told 2-3 times by doonesbury, no one in this thread realises that Norwegians pay home rate fees because they are part of the EEA.

At least read part of the thread before posting anything.

Except that those who have applied for 2019 entry has already done so at least a month ago as the deadline has already passed. This is only relevant for 2020 applicants.

I already know they pay home fees, so am mystified why you feel the need to tell me or its relevance? feel free to explain.
@Doonesbury can feel free to correct me.
Did you bother to read the article and what was said? It certainly doesnt look like it.
You also dont understand about the deadline either.

That would make it a big fail on your part.
I already know they pay home fees, so am mystified why you feel the need to tell me or its relevance? feel free to explain.
@Doonesbury can feel free to correct me.
Did you bother to read the article and what was said? It certainly doesnt look like it.
You also dont understand about the deadline either.

That would make it a big fail on your part.

The text above your qoute wasn't supposed to be relevant to your post.

The text below is.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by stoyfan
The text above your qoute wasn't relevant to your post.

I dont see you pushing that towards anyone else except me.

You obviously havent read the article.
You obviously dont understand about the deadline

Feel free to point out or ask @Doonesbury where I am incorrect.
I dont see you pushing that towards anyone else except me.

You obviously havent read the article.
You obviously dont understand about the deadline

Feel free to point out or ask @Doonesbury where I am incorrect.

Typically when people try to put multiple qoutes in their post, the text directly below their qoute is only relevant to it.
I know that my post doesn't have multiple qoutes but I wanted to avoid making yet another post in quick succession.

There is no point in accusing someone that they do not understand about something if you do not tell them what they got wrong. Other than that, I don't know what you are talking about.

It says: "Erasmus international study programme in the event of a no-deal Brexit. It said it would honour the overseas placements of UK and EU27 students who were abroad at the time of a no-deal exit.". But Iselin Nybø says: "there were still concerns about the future of Erasmus for Norwegians, as Norway is not a member of the EU". For me, her response justifies her reason to be worried as it has only been guarenteed that overseas placements of UK and EU students would be honoured.

The UCAS deadline is 15th of January. Unless if you are refering to another deadline, then tell me. Don't just tell that I don't know about 'the deadline'.
(edited 5 years ago)
(ik this is another post but idk why it is not letting me to insert another qoute in my post).
You mention this:
She appears to be ignorant and should apologise.

but in the article it says that: "This article was amended on 5 February 2019 to clarify that Iselin Nybø was discussing students going on exchange this coming autumn via the Erasmus programme". Looks she has already clarified this or the article simply didn't mention that she was only refering to those certain pupils.

Looks like someone didn't read the article. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending