The Student Room Group

The Warwick drama continues

Scroll to see replies

I’m gonna leave an Update here for those interested.
The students decided not to return out of their own FREE WILL.
Unfortunately it means Wariwick didn’t do anything to change their initial decision which has angered many students, lecturers and even whole departments. It seems like Warwick has dug it’s own grave.
He actually did report the post as well. At least he's honest.
just some lads having a laugh. i doubt they were going to rape everyone in the university. beta england imo. social justice warriors.

if a women did it about guys, i'm sure it will have no negative consequnces. this #metoo movement is getting out of hand, just like modern day feminism
Original post by lawmogul79
I do not care what you think of me. What is of outmost concern is yor behaviour towards other people and making dangerous statements like this one. How dare you justify rape? Even if somsone makes rape jokes on a constant basis this is a result of a hidden desire or of previous actions.Read some psychology. Again, I wonder if your mother is proud of you reading comments like this one. You should not be allowed on this forum. And mocking somsone because they are trying to inform this community that rape is no joke is beyond me. You've been reported.

You’re confusing sexually frustrated dweebs making edgy comments with actual rapists.

Actual rape is no joke, but folks who overreact to every level of threat run the real risk of diluting the most dangerous one. Something which is happening. Over my life, I’ve seen rape go from a real taboo subject which was was discussed in hushed whispers to the subject of memes from one side of the population to another.
Original post by Andrew97
Isn’t that the problem. People should be able to have private conversations. I bet everybody here has said something in a private chat that they’d rather not be heard in public.

I have - I've ****ged off half my friends and all my family
Original post by Andrew97
Isn’t that the problem. People should be able to have private conversations. I bet everybody here has said something in a private chat that they’d rather not be heard in public.

As long as a conversation stays private then there aren't going to be consequences but once it becomes public (and in the age of electronic social-media communications this is always a possibility) then content of this kind cannot just be ignored, especially not by the relevant university which has a duty of care to consider as well as its rules and its public standing. Obviously it depends on the content - in this case there was lengthy discussion about raping named students.
Original post by Rs5644
No they are jokes.Not very high brow ones but still jokes.Being offensive is not yet a crime.Extensive experience of rape? Listen to yourself.The police found no crime was committed.All that has happened here is that some immature boys have posted offensive jokes on a chat.They didn't threaten anyone.They didn't rape anyone.They had no intention of raping anyone.I've heard worse jokes about Madeline McCann.Is everyone who jokes about that now a potential child abductor? You are being ridiculous.Its ok to joke about offensive things.
The police and the uni clearly agreed as they were coming back until Twitter outrage erupted.

Being grossly offensive via means of internet messaging, broadcasting, post, publishing or telephone calls are crimes.
But it is for the police, cps and courts to enforce the law.
I don't agree with warwick disciplining those vile jerks with suspensions.

But I'm not a warwick student and didn't agree with warwick's decision to permit the leader of britain first to visit their premises for an event organised by a campus student society.
Chillax guys, the boys decided not to return to warwick.
Original post by londonmyst
Being grossly offensive via means of internet messaging, broadcasting, post, publishing or telephone calls are crimes.
But it is for the police, cps and courts to enforce the law.
I don't agree with warwick disciplining those vile jerks with suspensions.

But I'm not a warwick student and didn't agree with warwick's decision to permit the leader of britain first to visit their premises for an event organised by a campus student society.

Well maybe it shouldn't be.A part of free speech is freedom to offend.If you are not free to offend then you are limited in your speech and hence do not have free speech.I don't know about you but I'd like to not live in a police state which police's everyone's speech.That includes not no- platforming controversial speakers.And if as you say it is a crime then why was nobody charged? Clearly they couldn't find anything to charge them over that's why the uni dealt with it.
Original post by stoyfan
Chillax guys, the boys decided not to return to warwick.

I'm sure that had nothing to do with the 60,000 people signing a petition against them.
Original post by Rs5644
Well maybe it shouldn't be.A part of free speech is freedom to offend.If you are not free to offend then you are limited in your speech and hence do not have free speech.I don't know about you but I'd like to not live in a police state which police's everyone's speech.That includes not no- platforming controversial speakers.And if as you say it is a crime then why was nobody charged? Clearly they couldn't find anything to charge them over that's why the uni dealt with it.

In law, a clear distinction is made between verbal speech and written communication (articles, posted letters, electronic messaging, social media posts).
Private speech and verbal comments made before an audience/broadcasted over the television or internet are also treated differently.
Freedom of verbal speech is subject to legal restrictions as regards criminal acts/conspiracy, slander and acts of harassment.

I'm not a fan of no platforming, although I am not a free speech fundamentalist like Milo Yiannopoulos
There is a limit to most things and a clear line that can't be overstepped without leading to crime, anarchy or the worst type of antisocial antics.
I disagree with providing the oxygen of free publicity to the most toxic of individuals whilst everyone else spends a fortune of pr, paying convicted criminals to gloat or providing them with an opportunity to teach others how to attempt their criminality.
I don't work for the police or cps and have no idea why law enforcement didn't bring charges against the warwick students.
Original post by Rs5644
...And if as you say it is a crime then why was nobody charged? Clearly they couldn't find anything to charge them over that's why the uni dealt with it.

The CPS apply a two-part test when making a decision to prosecute which in simple terms is a) is there a reasonable chance of a conviction and b) is it in the public interest to pursue a conviction. It follows that what might easily be a 'crime' isn't automatically acted on. Given that there was a documented discussion in which raping named students was being promoted by the participants I'm sure technically this could have made it to court on some charge or other.
Original post by Axiomasher
The CPS apply a two-part test when making a decision to prosecute which in simple terms is a) is there a reasonable chance of a conviction and b) is it in the public interest to pursue a conviction. It follows that what might easily be a 'crime' isn't automatically acted on. Given that there was a documented discussion in which raping named students was being promoted by the participants I'm sure technically this could have made it to court on some charge or other.

Where was it promoted exactly?
Original post by Rs5644
Where was it promoted exactly?

Amongst the participants in the discussion 'we should', 'you should' or whatever. It easily fits the description of 'incitement'.
Amongst the participants in the discussion 'we should', 'you should' or whatever. It easily fits the description of 'incitement'.

Was this where he discussed raping 100 women in one night? Hardly realistic even for an army of men.Context is everything.When I say I'm going to kill my brother.It doesn't mean I'm actually making a threat on his life.It means he's pissed me off.I don't think anyone would seriously argue this guy was actually planning to rape anyone.
Original post by Rs5644
Was this where he discussed raping 100 women in one night? Hardly realistic even for an army of men.Context is everything.When I say I'm going to kill my brother.It doesn't mean I'm actually making a threat on his life.It means he's pissed me off.I don't think anyone would seriously argue this guy was actually planning to rape anyone.

Specific female students were identified in the discussion as potential targets for rape, that fact isn't going away. You shouldn't say "I'm going to kill X" about any X if you're not confident that they wouldn't interpret it literally or be offended. Why? Because when you say something that is a face-value threat then it might just be received as a face-value threat. Besides what kind of person talks about raping their relatives or friends, let alone strangers? Have you ever said you're going to rape your brother? Maybe you have but that's on you. Women, who are routinely vulnerable to being raped by men, can't be so dismissive of 'banter' about rape as the men who indulged in it, maybe you don't understand that.
Specific female students were identified in the discussion as potential targets for rape, that fact isn't going away. You shouldn't say "I'm going to kill X" about any X if you're not confident that they wouldn't interpret it literally or be offended. Why? Because when you say something that is a face-value threat then it might just be received as a face-value threat. Besides what kind of person talks about raping their relatives or friends, let alone strangers? Have you ever said you're going to rape your brother? Maybe you have but that's on you. Women, who are routinely vulnerable to being raped by men, can't be so dismissive of 'banter' about rape as the men who indulged in it, maybe you don't understand that.

But generally I am confident they won't interpret it literally because I know they are not stupid.I have actually heard people say " I'd like to rape him/ her". It doesn't mean that they want to rape anyone just that they'd like to screw them.And anyway you say they were threatening rape but if so its the most ineffective threat ever.They were literally in a private chat.By their thoughts there was no way the girl/ girls would ever hear about it.Generally for a threat to be effective the person you are threatening has to at least know about it.If these guys had had their way they wouldn't have known.Therefore it wasn't a threat.

As for being a target..... Well all I will say is that real rapists don't go bragging about their " targets". You would have to be really stupid to put potential rape targets on WhatsApp for the police to find.The only reason you would do that is if you were a) extremely stupid
Or b) have no intention of raping anyone.And were in actual fact joking.
The idea that they were actually making plans to go out and rape women just doesn't stand up to scrutiny.The idea that they were threatening anyone also doesn't hold water.Doubtless this is why they were not charged with anything.You can't really prove they are guilty of anything other than jokes in bad taste.But there is something called dark humour.
Original post by Rs5644
But generally I am confident they won't interpret it literally because I know they are not stupid.I have actually heard people say " I'd like to rape him/ her". It doesn't mean that they want to rape anyone just that they'd like to screw them.And anyway you say they were threatening rape but if so its the most ineffective threat ever.They were literally in a private chat.By their thoughts there was no way the girl/ girls would ever hear about it.Generally for a threat to be effective the person you are threatening has to at least know about it.If these guys had had their way they wouldn't have known.Therefore it wasn't a threat.

As for being a target..... Well all I will say is that real rapists don't go bragging about their " targets". You would have to be really stupid to put potential rape targets on WhatsApp for the police to find.The only reason you would do that is if you were a) extremely stupid
Or b) have no intention of raping anyone.And were in actual fact joking.
The idea that they were actually making plans to go out and rape women just doesn't stand up to scrutiny.The idea that they were threatening anyone also doesn't hold water.Doubtless this is why they were not charged with anything.You can't really prove they are guilty of anything other than jokes in bad taste.But there is something called dark humour.

You're not listening. It doesn't matter what you and your 'edgy' mates think of 'rape banter', what the institution they were members of and what wider society thinks of it when it becomes public is what actually counts. By all means cry a full bucket of whiny tears over these poor men and drink it down for good measure, you're getting absolutely no sympathy from me. I also know that if my daughter had been named as a potential target by these men they'd have a lot more to worry about than being thrown off their course.
You shouldn't say "I'm going to kill X" about any X if you're not confident that they wouldn't interpret it literally or be offended.

So your proposition is that no-one should say anything offensive about anyone, even if they're not the target audience for the comment, and even if there's no reason at all to expect that they might see it?

That is completely ridiculous.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
So your proposition is that no-one should say anything offensive about anyone, even if they're not the target audience for the comment, and even if there's no reason at all to expect that they might see it?

That is completely ridiculous.

Tell that to the 'edgy' former Warwick students who are now lining up for a job at McDonalds. Life tip 101: don't make suggestions of who you'd like to rape using social media because, guess what genius, social media has a tendency to leak and once your words are out there they can't be put back in the box.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending