The Student Room Group

Muslim parents protest against gay equality lessons

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Is it better to educate children according to Islamic values, or for them to get a better-rounded and more worldly education? Which is more useful? They're going to meet gay people in real life; isn't it important that they're well-equipped to interact with gay people in constructive ways?

I see this kind of protest as a good thing - it generates interesting questions and more productive discourse, than if all kids were just educated according to their parents' cultures. I'm not one of those who says that the children of immigrants should completely integrate into British culture and be indistinguishable from the average British kid, but I think it is important that they learn about all the different worldviews that Britain has to offer.

From the point of view of the parents it is better but yes, it is much better for the children to be tolerant of others, rather than sheltered.
Original post by thestudent33
Well as I said I choose to ignore these things, so i really shouldn't have commented. Thanks for pointing out my error, I won't comment any more

You are a ''Political Ambassador'' who openly and blatantly ignores others' points of view. Excuse me, WTF
Original post by FarhanHalim
All Muslims have, I am sure, at some point committed a sin that is forbidden in Islam. What takes one out of the fold of Islam is if they openly disagree with Islam, for example if they say that homosexuality is ok when it’s not. Most gay Muslims seem to think that there is nothing in Islam against it when there is.

True, but that’s not the point I was making. A Muslim can be gay his/her entire life and never have gay sex. A gay Muslim can also have gay sex for years and years without necessarily thinking it’s allowed in Islam, and they’d still be a Muslim.
All Muslims have, I am sure, at some point committed a sin that is forbidden in Islam. What takes one out of the fold of Islam is if they openly disagree with Islam, for example if they say that homosexuality is ok when it’s not. Most gay Muslims seem to think that there is nothing in Islam against it when there is.

Gay people are born gay and have no choice in continuing to be gay. I suspect most gay Muslims know that there are passages that prohibit being gay - most of the Muslim world seem very interesting in telling them so. They don't ignore those passages, they're just psychologically incapable of abiding by them.
Reply 24
It's amazing that some muslims will claim that their kids being taught tolerance and understanding for gay kids goes against their values, and that you can't be gay and muslim. Yet, if you tell these same people that you can't be British and muslim since their ideology is incompatible with western, forward-thinking ideals, they freak out.

I would also make this tolerance lesson mandatory, so that if any parent remove their kids from school on the day this is taught, the kid will fail the year and will have to repeat. And we'll do this as often as it needs to be until they partake in that session.
Original post by Daigan
It's amazing that some muslims will claim that their kids being taught tolerance and understanding for gay kids goes against their values, and that you can't be gay and muslim. Yet, if you tell these same people that you can't be British and muslim since their ideology is incompatible with western, forward thinkong ideals, they freak out.

I would also make this tolerance lesson mandatory, so that if any parent remove their kids from school on the day this is taught, the kid will fail the year and will have to repeat. And we'll do this as often as it needs to be until they partake in that session.

Lol the irony of this. “You must tolerate homosexuality, and go against your beliefs, or we will fail you and do our best to ruin your life” so tolerant lol
Reply 26
I guess this shows that as the state tries to brainwash our kids at an earlier stage, we need to teach them our beliefs earlier too and let them know that not everything they learn in school is true. A lot of the time the parents are to blame, you can’t blame the state, they’ve made it pretty clear what their goal is, to promote this ultraliberal stuff that goes against thousands of years of tradition.
Lol the irony of this. “You must tolerate homosexuality, and go against your beliefs, or we will fail you and do our best to ruin your life” so tolerant lol

Not really.Muslims happily discriminate against gay people yet get upset if people are racist towards them.They're hypocrites because they are literally doing the same thing.You can't claim to be against racism but be fine with homophobia.Its still discrimination based on characteristics you can't control.

Tolerance doesn't mean tolerating absolutely anything, otherwise we'd have to tolerate homophobia, racism, fascism etc. We should not tolerate intolerance.

We should never be tolerant of the intolerant.
Reply 30

We see the effects of muslim education via the fact that most muslims in islamic countries still live in mud huts, until we come and build their cities for them. You would've understood this had you had a western education. Lol.

Don't worry though. No-one will be against you going back to your own country to practice your beliefs. We'd be all for it LOL.
Original post by MoSaqib
I guess this shows that as the state tries to brainwash our kids at an earlier stage, we need to teach them our beliefs earlier too and let them know that not everything they learn in school is true. A lot of the time the parents are to blame, you can’t blame the state, they’ve made it pretty clear what their goal is, to promote this ultraliberal stuff that goes against thousands of years of tradition.

We're not brainwashing, you're brainwashing.
I honestly don't think religion should be brought into schools in anyway because it always causes conflict between parents, students, teachers etc. It is just isn't the place to learn about this kind of thing. You may argue you with me but I think most people didn't listen to religion in school or just made fun of it, which just causes more conflict.
Teaching LGBT rights though i believe is more important because it is something that is now a key part in UK society, doesn't matter if you like it or not it will be there regardless of religion's opinion of it. LGBT rights are a law that everyone should know and we need to be educated on it more in order for the next generation to be more accepting then us.
I do agree that maybe primary school age is too young for 'sexual orintation' but saying some kids have two dads or two mums doesn't seem the same thing. I don't believe teachers need to go into detail but it's just teaching kids that it is a part of accepted society I think is a key thing.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by MoSaqib

Who's to say teaching your children about islam from a young age is not brainwash? You classify teaching children to respect others and treat them as equals regardless of their orientation as negative and "brainwash"?
Original post by gr8wizard10
as a muslim, i think it's important to develop a level of tolerance between societies. for far too long i've had negative connotiations about gay people and admittedly do make the occasional jokes that would be deemed distasteful.. but it just stems from growing up with that negative stigma.

if we can break it from the offset.. would be great. we need to be more toleratant towards people who are different - otherwise we just all go to ****.

you don't have to agree with people's choices but you have to be tolerant.

IME the gays are as bad as anyone for gay jokes.

Original post by MoSaqib

Indeed; Muslim parents are sending their kids to English schools and then complaining about the English education they are receiving. The answer? Start your own damn' schools and don't tell us what we can and can't teach.
Reply 35
Original post by Daigan
We see the effects of muslim education via the fact that most muslims in islamic countries still live in mud huts, until we come and build their cities for them. You would've understood this had you had a western education. Lol.

Don't worry though. No-one will be against you going back to your own country to practice your beliefs. We'd be all for it LOL.

Lol this just shows what you think of us and our culture, and then you complain when we don’t respect your culture. Muslims don’t all live in ‘mud huts’ and plenty of that actually has to do with what your ancestors did back during the British/French empires.
Original post by Tootles
Indeed; Muslim parents are sending their kids to English schools and then complaining about the English education they are receiving. The answer? Start your own damn' schools and don't tell us what we can and can't teach.

That doesn't work if they don't conform to basic laws.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-47090045
Original post by Decahedron
That doesn't work if they don't conform to basic laws.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-47090045

Is this because of Islamic law or because the school itself is backwards?
Reply 38
Original post by MoSaqib
Lol this just shows what you think of us and our culture, and then you complain when we don’t respect your culture. Muslims don’t all live in ‘mud huts’ and plenty of that actually has to do with what your ancestors did back during the British/French empires.

Lol. The state of some of your people and the beliefs makes it all too easy to hold accurate views about them. It's always funny how the victim mentality is the one thing that certain muslims are great at. We helped the muslim countries rise from the cesspits, then when we leave those muslims drag their countries back down. Typical LOL
Original post by Tootles
Is this because of Islamic law or because the school itself is backwards?

I would imagine Islamic law which dictates how the school is run.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending