The Student Room Group

Muslim parents seek removal of gay teacher

This is a developing story, as ever the MSM is playing catch up.

https://twitter.com/5Pillarsuk/status/1092446532492775426

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

As a muslim, this is ridiculous. Intolerance of anyone (unless they are hurting someone) is unacceptable in Islam.
Leave then, what makes them think they need them in their school, you don't like our society go live in a country where being gay is a 'crime' worthy of death, funny how they think society needs to change to fit their needs, no u.
(edited 5 years ago)
Ofsted in their 2016 report made a mention of the No Outsiders scheme saying how beneficial it was to the school.

The school should probably give Prevent a call, they seem pretty radicalised in their homophobia.
Reply 4
I was wondering what people think the lessons are here, big picture?

TSR lefties, how does this fit into intersectionality? Do you support the religious and cultural rights of Muslims to educate their children as they see fit, and deplore Islamophobia, or the rights of a gay teacher to inculcate tolerance of homosexuality? How can the circle be squared?

Who is going to win, the school or the parents? My money is on the parents, because no pupils, no school, but what does everyone else think?

If the parents DO win, does that mean that the kids are going to grow up as homophobes? Does that mean that gay teachers won't be able to work in Muslim majority schools going forward? Is that a dismal prospect suggesting future division and conflict?

Or is this the last generation of Muslim parents who think like this, and integration into a wider society which disapproves of discrimination on the grounds of sexuality is likely to take place as the next generation grows up?
Original post by generallee
I was wondering what people think the lessons are here, big picture?

TSR lefties, how does this fit into intersectionality? Do you support the religious and cultural rights of Muslims to educate their children as they see fit, and deplore Islamophobia, or the rights of a gay teacher to inculcate tolerance of homosexuality? How can the circle be squared?

Who is going to win, the school or the parents? My money is on the parents, because no pupils, no school, but what does everyone else think?

If the parents DO win, does that mean that the kids are going to grow up as homophobes? Does that mean that gay teachers won't be able to work in Muslim majority schools going forward? Is that a dismal prospect suggesting future division and conflict?

Or is this the last generation of Muslim parents who think like this, and integration into a wider society which disapproves of discrimination on the grounds of sexuality is likely to take place as the next generation grows up?

They can't win. If the teached gets fired because of his homosexuality it goes directly against the very legislation that he is teaching the children, Equality Act 2010.
Nothing will happen except maybe the kid of the parent may be taken out of school. No way a school would open themselves up to such a lawsuit should they be removed for being gay.
I'm Muslim as well and I think that's wrong. You shouldn't discriminate people because of their sexual orientation.
Muslim parents should just teach their children that Islam goes against homosexuality but that they should be tolerant and accept peoples life decisions and that they shouldn't be homophobic at all.
I'm homesechooling my kids or moving abroad. The godless state, which has no solid objective basis for its moralistic/social policy beyond subjective value judgements and popularism, is encroaching too far on the rights of parents to raise their kids as they want to be raised.
Original post by Zamestaneh
I'm homesechooling my kids or moving abroad. The godless state, which has no solid objective basis for its moralistic/social policy beyond subjective value judgements and popularism, is encroaching too far on the rights of parents to raise their kids as they want to be raised.

As opposed to the, "listen to god with no critical thinking or burn in hell" approach to moral policy.

I rather go for the secular version or moral policy thanks.

PS all morals are subjective as there all man made. It's only through empathy and scientific discovery do we discover what is harmful to us in what we should and shouldn't do.
Dear god...
I'm homesechooling my kids or moving abroad.

Move abroad. That way we all benefit. You get to live in the seventh century and we avoid the risk of accommodating someone who doesn't want to integrate and be a part of the twenty-first century.

The problem with religious conservatives homeschooling their children is the children are not exposed to ideas that challenges the bigotry of their parents. So they end up just as hateful and intolerant.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/11/british-muslims-strong-sense-of-belonging-poll-homosexuality-sharia-law

Although I would fully suppport your decision to leave this country.

With a viewpoint like that, I think a lot of people would be happy if you moved abroad with your family.
it that were me, I'd just homeschool my child.

just homeschool, it's cheaper than moving to a whole new country 👍
Original post by Leviathan1611
just homeschool, it's cheaper than moving to a whole new country 👍

It is also going to be regulated very soon, at the instigation of the children's commissioner, to make sure that the children do, in fact, receive a decent education that fits them for twenty-first century living in a western democracy. The DfE is about to respond to the proposals after a consultation.

Home education will no longer be off the grid.
Original post by Good bloke
It is also going to be regulated very soon, at the instigation of the children's commissioner, to make sure that the children do, in fact, receive a decent education that fits them for twenty-first century living in a western democracy. The DfE is about to respond to the proposals after a consultation.

Home education will no longer be off the grid.

where'd you hear that? all I've seen in the news so far is that they want to have all children who are homeschooled registered on a system so they at least know where they are. haven't seen anything on deciding what they must be taught at home.

You want to harm your own child by raising them in an echo-chamber?

Shame on you sir, shame on you.
Original post by Blue_Cow
Dear god...

:laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending