The Student Room Group

i've missed so much school,can i still pass?

i've missed an insane amount of school this year and last year ,can i still pass my gcse's? i need five fours including english language and music. i also am very bad at exams and find it very hard to focus.
Original post by mazzystar111
i've missed an insane amount of school this year and last year ,can i still pass my gcse's? i need five fours including english language and music. i also am very bad at exams and find it very hard to focus.

What reason did you miss school for? Without your teachers and missing the course content, it might be hard for you to do well in your GCSEs. The alternative is home studying (or maybe getting a private tutor?), but to do so, you will need a lot of concentration to catch up with everything. You mention you are weak at exams? Get as much help as you can from your school and try to go every topic as well as you can. Look at doing practice papers in mock exam conditions to get yourself used to this, mark your answers and see which areas you need improving at.

You may want to consider talking to your school about your situation, as they may give you help and advice on what to do about your GCSEs.
Reply 2

For music it depends what you missed to be honest but you don’t have any reason to worry about English language it’s mainly just exam technique so as long as you know the basics (simile metaphor noun verb) you should come out ok. Also depending on why you where off and how long you could make a case for extenuating circumstsnces I honestly would say focus on exam technique and go for the easy marks
I missed a lot of school during my gcses due to my chronic illness and I still managed to pass everything and get good grades - the key is making sure you have support. I find exams hard too because it can be hard to focus with pain and cognitive issues but I asked my school if I could be given rest breaks during them. If you're struggling then this might help because you'll be able to stop and breathe for a while and collect your thoughts
thanks! this made me feel lot better about my exams.i will ask about getting rest breaks during the exams,it sounds like a rlly good idea : )
Original post by cheesecakelove
What reason did you miss school for? Without your teachers and missing the course content, it might be hard for you to do well in your GCSEs. The alternative is home studying (or maybe getting a private tutor?), but to do so, you will need a lot of concentration to catch up with everything. You mention you are weak at exams? Get as much help as you can from your school and try to go every topic as well as you can. Look at doing practice papers in mock exam conditions to get yourself used to this, mark your answers and see which areas you need improving at.

You may want to consider talking to your school about your situation, as they may give you help and advice on what to do about your GCSEs.

thanks!
i missed school due to illness.
i will definetly talk to my school and hopefully they will give me some advice. the idea of the practice exams is really good, i'll start doing them today : )
Original post by Tamjm1
For music it depends what you missed to be honest but you don’t have any reason to worry about English language it’s mainly just exam technique so as long as you know the basics (simile metaphor noun verb) you should come out ok. Also depending on why you where off and how long you could make a case for extenuating circumstsnces I honestly would say focus on exam technique and go for the easy marks

thanks for the advice : )
Reply 7

just revise you SCHMUCK

Hi there,

Hoping I can offer some support with this one!

First thing I would advise is that you speak with your schools examination officer about applying for extenuating circumstances due to your illness and any support that can be put in place during your exams to support you such as extra time.

I'm going to mirror a lot of the advice you've already been given here, but it is vital that you speak with your subject teachers to try and obtain the course content that you have missed, ask if there will be any revision classes being put on after school that you can attend and if you are able to consider a private tutor look into this as soon as possible.

Hopefully you will have all the materials you need to revise, make sure you set out a clear revision schedule that is realistic for you making sure you have plenty of time for each subject and also yourself to relax.

Find a revision technique that works for you whether that's having music in the background, cue cards, practicing out loud or being tested on what you have revised with friends and family.

If you are able to put in the revision and time, you may be able to achieve the grades you need. If you don't please know that you're not alone with planning what to do next which is what we are here for.

Good luck with everything and if you would like further support don't hesitate to get in touch or you can chat online with a careers adviser through our website - http://bit.ly/2GkrcXU

Thanks - Sophie.
Original post by mp__786
just revise you SCHMUCK

stop d cyberbullying!! :mad:
thanks so much : )

Quick Reply

Latest