The Student Room Group

Wjec eduqas psychology help!!!

So i have my mocks in a few weeks and as I've started to crack down and revise for psychology, I've realised i have actually no clue what I'm doing :smile:)) tbh I'm not too stressed for mocks and i think i have a good basic understanding for comp 1/2 (comp 3 is really hard and idk how I'm gonna memorise all of it), my main worries are about the quality of my answers-
Just looking over all the essays I've done, the marks are okay but not great and I'm starting to think i just don't know how to structure answers and essays for psychology. l guess I've just carried on the same methods i used to from English GCSE and thinking about it, my teacher never mentioned the correct way to do it?? she just kind of threw us into it at the beginning and i never really thought about it too much. however she does always says make sure we have a conclusion and repeat the question/quote at the end of each paragraph. but as for the content in-between, i just have no idea what to include, whats not necessary, how to evaluate etc and how to structure a01/a02/a03 answers specifically. and on top of this, i need to figure out how to do it under such a time pressured situation, cause it takes me about 15mins to just plan an answer - and thats with the textbook!
btw my teacher is absolutely no help at all - i don't understand anything the way she explains stuff and all of the sheets she gives us are way too confusing, just trying to figure out the layout alone gives me a headache
also, the resources for eduqas psychology are so limited so if anyone has any websites/textbooks etc that are useful as well as any tips on how the hell i can memorise/revise all the content (esp for comp 3) it would be really helpful!
thanks!
Original post by teenagemess
So i have my mocks in a few weeks and as I've started to crack down and revise for psychology, I've realised i have actually no clue what I'm doing :smile:)) tbh I'm not too stressed for mocks and i think i have a good basic understanding for comp 1/2 (comp 3 is really hard and idk how I'm gonna memorise all of it), my main worries are about the quality of my answers-
Just looking over all the essays I've done, the marks are okay but not great and I'm starting to think i just don't know how to structure answers and essays for psychology. l guess I've just carried on the same methods i used to from English GCSE and thinking about it, my teacher never mentioned the correct way to do it?? she just kind of threw us into it at the beginning and i never really thought about it too much. however she does always says make sure we have a conclusion and repeat the question/quote at the end of each paragraph. but as for the content in-between, i just have no idea what to include, whats not necessary, how to evaluate etc and how to structure a01/a02/a03 answers specifically. and on top of this, i need to figure out how to do it under such a time pressured situation, cause it takes me about 15mins to just plan an answer - and thats with the textbook!
btw my teacher is absolutely no help at all - i don't understand anything the way she explains stuff and all of the sheets she gives us are way too confusing, just trying to figure out the layout alone gives me a headache
also, the resources for eduqas psychology are so limited so if anyone has any websites/textbooks etc that are useful as well as any tips on how the hell i can memorise/revise all the content (esp for comp 3) it would be really helpful!
thanks!

Hi, hope this isn't too late!
My teacher taught us a method called PEEL paragraphs for the evals and that's Point, Evidence, Explanation, and Link. So it's basically:

POINT: A Strength/Weakness of (Whichever study or topic) is that (...).
EVIDENCE: The (study/topic) states that (...) because of (reason). [EITHER:] This is supported/opposed by (a similar/opposite study) which found that (results). [OR](brief explanation of study and findings).
EVALUATION: This means that (...)
LINK: This is a strength/weakness as it (reason).

FOR EXAMPLE:
(POINT) A strength of Normative Social Influence (NSI) is that it has research support.
(EVIDENCE) Asch's conformity research involved a variable in which participants wrote down their answers instead of saying it out loud to the group. This variable found a drop in conformity to 12.6%. When interviewed afterwards, participants said that they felt pressured to go along with the group's answer.
(EVALUATION) This shows that NSI directly influenced the participants' answers and conformity.
(LINK) This is a strength as Asch's results clearly support the theory of NSI.

The paragraph structure then repeats for 3-4 evaluation points until you think you have enough marks or need to move on because of the time.
I also recommend that when it comes to exams, you read through the papers, go back to the start and answer all long questions first and then go back through to do the shorter ones.

I'm not great at explaining the things I do, so I hope it was clear enough and made sense! Hope it helps you!!
Reply 2
Original post by Gayvenclaw :D
Hi, hope this isn't too late!
My teacher taught us a method called PEEL paragraphs for the evals and that's Point, Evidence, Explanation, and Link. So it's basically:

POINT: A Strength/Weakness of (Whichever study or topic) is that (...).
EVIDENCE: The (study/topic) states that (...) because of (reason). [EITHER:] This is supported/opposed by (a similar/opposite study) which found that (results). [OR](brief explanation of study and findings).
EVALUATION: This means that (...)
LINK: This is a strength/weakness as it (reason).

FOR EXAMPLE:
(POINT) A strength of Normative Social Influence (NSI) is that it has research support.
(EVIDENCE) Asch's conformity research involved a variable in which participants wrote down their answers instead of saying it out loud to the group. This variable found a drop in conformity to 12.6%. When interviewed afterwards, participants said that they felt pressured to go along with the group's answer.
(EVALUATION) This shows that NSI directly influenced the participants' answers and conformity.
(LINK) This is a strength as Asch's results clearly support the theory of NSI.

The paragraph structure then repeats for 3-4 evaluation points until you think you have enough marks or need to move on because of the time.
I also recommend that when it comes to exams, you read through the papers, go back to the start and answer all long questions first and then go back through to do the shorter ones.

I'm not great at explaining the things I do, so I hope it was clear enough and made sense! Hope it helps you!!

Thank you! and thanks for the example and exam tip that really helped :smile:

Quick Reply