The Student Room Group

University of Amsterdam (Psychology) Selection Procedure

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone who took part in the Selection procedure (lecture and test) for the Psychology programme in the University of Amsterdam. What was it composed of and how were you accessed?

Also if anyone has experience with applying to the Psychology programme at all, I would love to ask a few questions. What subjects did you do? What grades did you get? Did you end up going? Are you enjoying the course?

Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

I'm also applying for the psychology programme and taking the february selection round. are you taking the february or march one?
Reply 2
Hey there, I have also applied to Psychology at the UvA and got my lectures for the february selection round. Wish you the best!
Reply 3
Original post by andreassss
I'm also applying for the psychology programme and taking the february selection round. are you taking the february or march one?

Sorry, just seen this! I've also applied for the February selection round this Saturday. Very nervous to say the least.
Original post by Marine B.
Sorry, just seen this! I've also applied for the February selection round this Saturday. Very nervous to say the least.

It’s fine don’t worry :smile: good luck on the test !! won’t say I’m not a little nervous myself but I wish you the best, im sure you’ll do good
Reply 5
It’s fine don’t worry :smile: good luck on the test !! won’t say I’m not a little nervous myself but I wish you the best, im sure you’ll do good

I'm sure you'll do well too, hope to see you in Amsterdam in the fall!
Hello guys,

I applied to the psychology programme at UvA too:smile: I finished the selection procedure test an hour ago and I'm impatient to see the results. I wish you guys the best of luck!
Hi guys,

Just finished the selection procedure a few hours ago and was wondering how others found it? I thought the second part of the exam was manageable, but the first one was a lot harder...not feeling very confident with how I did but I guess I'll have to wait and see! Good luck to everyone!
Same, I also found the first part hard. Knowing others did too, serves me as consolation lol. Good luck to you too!!
Original post by cool_username
Hi guys,

Just finished the selection procedure a few hours ago and was wondering how others found it? I thought the second part of the exam was manageable, but the first one was a lot harder...not feeling very confident with how I did but I guess I'll have to wait and see! Good luck to everyone!
Good to know, makes me feel a little bit better haha
Same, I also found the first part hard. Knowing others did too, serves me as consolation lol. Good luck to you too!!
(edited 5 years ago)
Do you know what kind of information they use to allocate the numbers to candidates? I mean in addition to the test results, they probably look at your grades as well? or don’t they? Because we had to submit a CV I imagine it plays some part in their decision.
I also took the test online and found the second part super easy, but the first part was more difficult, although manageable. Because I had studied IB psychology on a higher level we had extensively covered qualitative research methods. It was all practically only based on the book and I feel like the lectures beforehand were almost useless for the test and more for getting the feel of teaching at the university, which was of course good in a way.
What did you think?
Original post by irisannabel
Do you know what kind of information they use to allocate the numbers to candidates? I mean in addition to the test results, they probably look at your grades as well? or don’t they? Because we had to submit a CV I imagine it plays some part in their decision.
I also took the test online and found the second part super easy, but the first part was more difficult, although manageable. Because I had studied IB psychology on a higher level we had extensively covered qualitative research methods. It was all practically only based on the book and I feel like the lectures beforehand were almost useless for the test and more for getting the feel of teaching at the university, which was of course good in a way.
What did you think?

Ikr, I took HL psychology as well and the second part was basically Paper 3, so that definitely helped haha (probably still managed to screw that up somehow because that's just how I roll lol). I've been thinking about the selection issue as well, surely they can't just select people randomly if some candidates get the same score?
(edited 5 years ago)
@cool_username @irisannabel Can't remember where I saw it but it was like a 50/50 thing, your score on the test was only half of what they took into account when allocating the numbers. Since the UvA changed its web design I haven't been able to find anything on it but don't worry, the test isn't the only thing that counts.
I’m not worried about the test I’m worried more about my grades and that I maybe didnt do my cv correctly
me too omg the test is the least of my worries
Original post by irisannabel
I’m not worried about the test I’m worried more about my grades and that I maybe didnt do my cv correctly
Ah okay, I've totally missed that! By the way, does anyone happen to know how many people applied this year/how many people usually apply each year? Haven't found that information anywhere
@cool_username @irisannabel Can't remember where I saw it but it was like a 50/50 thing, your score on the test was only half of what they took into account when allocating the numbers. Since the UvA changed its web design I haven't been able to find anything on it but don't worry, the test isn't the only thing that counts.
Hey, guys. Just wanted to know if you're happy with your test results. I'm very satisfied with my result since I scored 57/60 on the test so I'm pretty sure I'll get an offer.
Me too, I got 55/60. I'm really not sure what I'm going to do though if I end up getting in, I had already sort of decided on another uni in Scotland but now I'm not so sure anymore😅still very happy obviously!
Original post by helena.zoe
Hey, guys. Just wanted to know if you're happy with your test results. I'm very satisfied with my result since I scored 57/60 on the test so I'm pretty sure I'll get an offer.
Hey, guys, I got 54/60. I have a friend who applied last year and she says normally they are accepting the scores around 48 so I hope I'll get in too!
I'm also not sure about going. I applied to the Liberal Arts and Sciences programme in Amsterdam as well and I think that would suit my interests even more. Not sure though because psychology at UvA is also an amazing programme with really good rep.
Original post by cool_username
Me too, I got 55/60. I'm really not sure what I'm going to do though if I end up getting in, I had already sort of decided on another uni in Scotland but now I'm not so sure anymore😅still very happy obviously!

Quick Reply

Latest