The Student Room Group

Choosing USA Advanced Placement courses for U.K. universities.

I'm a Brit, living in France, who is moving to the US after finshing my GCSEs in June. I'm currently choosing which AP courses to take. I am hoping to be able to get into a very good university, such as Cambridge or Imperial, in Natural Sciences. After looking at the AP courses offered by the school, I have concluded that I need to take 5 each year. These would include -

French (1)

Physics C - Electricity and Magnetism

Physics C - Mechanics

Calculus BC

Chemistry

Computer Science Principles

Physics Algebra Based 1 (1)

Computer Science A (1)

Physics Algebra Based 2 (1)

Statistics (1)

What are your opinions on these choices? Are all my assumptions correct? and are there any reccomendations for which order to take the courses in? I am currently considering first taking the subjects marked (1).

sorry if I posted this in the wrong place...
Have you looked at the Cambridge and imperial websites? They’ll list how many and which APs they prefer.
Original post by PQ
Have you looked at the Cambridge and imperial websites? They’ll list how many and which APs they prefer.

I have. They require a typical 5 Grade 5s in AP tests. They also prefer both physics C courses, and Calculus BC. Just wanted to get the internet's opinion.
Original post by samofcoding
I have. They require a typical 5 Grade 5s in AP tests. They also prefer both physics C courses, and Calculus BC. Just wanted to get the internet's opinion.

If they’re asking for 5 then why are you planning to take 10?
Original post by PQ

Original post by PQ
If they’re asking for 5 then why are you planning to take 10?

"require"...
Most of the schools I'm applying for offer between 3 and 6 AP classes a year. As Cambridge need a high level of attainment, I thought that I might take more of the tests, as the American system is far behind the current UK system.

Quick Reply

Latest