The Student Room Group

Epq help

I'm in sixth form college and about to start an epq project which will contain about 5000 words.
I need a topic/question which has to be specific and answerable. My area of expertise is around space, politics.
The question cannot be just a simple google search and answered just like that, or involving the future as we don't know what will happen. Got any topics/questions for me? thanks.
Original post by Owais12345
I'm in sixth form college and about to start an epq project which will contain about 5000 words.
I need a topic/question which has to be specific and answerable. My area of expertise is around space, politics.
The question cannot be just a simple google search and answered just like that, or involving the future as we don't know what will happen. Got any topics/questions for me? thanks.

Part of the EPQ process is finding a suitable question that has the right level of detail. Most of us started with a mindmap of topics we were interested in and spent the first 3-4 hour class hours (plus often more outside of college) thinking of topics we were interested enough in to research into for 6 months and fit the EPQ scope. A lot of people started researching for one topic and either found they weren't as interested in it as they thought or there wasn't enough pre existing sources about their topic to have a chance at doing it.
Use the mindmap to get down to 2 or 3 topics and then start researching them, see if they need to be made more or less specific etc.
It's all about the process for EPQ, don't worry about having a perfect question at all at this point :noway:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Lemur14
Part of the EPQ process is finding a suitable question that has the right level of detail. Most of us started with a mindmap of topics we were interested in and spent the first 3-4 hour class hours (plus often more outside of college) thinking of topics we were interested enough in to research into for 6 months and fit the EPQ scope. A lot of people started researching for one topic and either found they weren't as interested in it as they thought or there wasn't enough pre existing sources about their topic to have a chance at doing it.
Use the mindmap to get down to 2 or 3 topics and then start researching them, see if they need to be made more or less specific etc.
It's all about the process for EPQ, don't worry about having a perfect question at all at this point :noway:

Posted from TSR Mobile

THANK YOU for this i'll try this mind map method and see what i come to
THANK YOU for this i'll try this mind map method and see what i come to

You're welcome :smile: Don't be afraid to have crazy ideas on the mindmap also, there's time to be sensible and realistic after you've got a potential list :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Lemur14
You're welcome :smile: Don't be afraid to have crazy ideas on the mindmap also, there's time to be sensible and realistic after you've got a potential list :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Basically, I've done what you said and come to a conclusion of a question on whether it's possible or not to communicate with aliens or not. But I need a way to structure this question so that it has an answer, maybe something along the lines of ' Are able to communicate with the unknown and is it worth the hassle' thank you for replying so far
Basically, I've done what you said and come to a conclusion of a question on whether it's possible or not to communicate with aliens or not. But I need a way to structure this question so that it has an answer, maybe something along the lines of ' Are able to communicate with the unknown and is it worth the hassle' thank you for replying so far

So sorry, somehow completely forgot to reply to this :colondollar:
Before you set the exact question (although this is allowed to change later anyway), you want to look at some potential sources and see what they focus on. For instance if there's a lot more sources on why we should/shouldn't communicate with the unknown rather than how it would be good to focus your question on that rather than how. Start by trying to find around 10 sources that are about the rough topic you want to do (if you're struggling to do that then you need to broaden your topic a bit more), then see what they focus on and (assuming that interests you still) focus your question on that :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Lemur14
So sorry, somehow completely forgot to reply to this :colondollar:
Before you set the exact question (although this is allowed to change later anyway), you want to look at some potential sources and see what they focus on. For instance if there's a lot more sources on why we should/shouldn't communicate with the unknown rather than how it would be good to focus your question on that rather than how. Start by trying to find around 10 sources that are about the rough topic you want to do (if you're struggling to do that then you need to broaden your topic a bit more), then see what they focus on and (assuming that interests you still) focus your question on that :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Once again THANK YOU. this advice is far more useful than my current epq teacher.
Once again THANK YOU. this advice is far more useful than my current epq teacher.

No problem :smile: I had 3 different EPQ teachers at the time and none of them had a clue either, definitely found others who had done EPQ more useful than them :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest