The Student Room Group

Should parents be able to access their dead children's data?

In 2017, a 14-year old Molly Russell killed herself. Recently in the news has been her father suspecting that posts and communities on social media may have contributed to her decision to end her life. He wants to see what she was looking at in the hope of understanding his daughter's decision, and also potentially preventing the same thing happening to other kids.

However, in trying to access this data, he has come up against several difficulties. The part where I wholeheartedly agree with him is with Instagram, and other social media companies not releasing him the data. I would have thought that, as guardian/next of kin etc, he would be able to get all data on his daughter in the same way she would have been able to under GDPR. That's aside from all her data being visible to her friends anyway so there's no breach of trust there to compile it all for her parents.

On the other hand, he also has mentioned Apple's security on their phones being too secure for them to crack. Apple have effectively sold an impenetrable nuclear bunker that Molly chose to lock so nobody else could get in. I don't think Apple and other companies should be made to deliberately weaken the security so they (and hence, other people) can get in.

What do you think regarding parents and their kids' data? Should a guardian be permitted to the same GDPR rights as the children they are responsible for? Should all devices and software have a 'secret' exploit for companies to use in the event of a death to get a user's data?

Scroll to see replies

No.

Unless the data is required by an inquiry or law enforcement it should be protected from all prying eyes.

There is no such thing as a "secret" exploit because it will get in the wrong hands eventually.
Original post by Decahedron

There is no such thing as a "secret" exploit because it will get in the wrong hands eventually.

Unfortunately, our politicians can't seem to grasp this simple concept. Really is quite worrying.

Heck, you even get some who claim "real people" don't need E2E encryption and regularly bash the technology companies for supposedly not doing more to help government.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Blue_Cow
Unfortunately, our politicians can't seem to grasp this simple concept. Really is quite worrying.

And ironically they are all using Whatsapp now because of its excellent security. The mind boggles.
Original post by Decahedron
And ironically they are all using Whatsapp now because of its excellent security. The mind boggles.

One rule for them and another for us, I suppose.
I would want to. But I don’t want anyone having access to my phone and finding out all my secrets. Cause then they’d be happy I was dead
(edited 5 years ago)
If he looks in the mirror he'll have found his answer.
Reply 7
As a parent I can understand why he wants this... :frown:

Maybe he should send the phone to that Israeli security outfit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
yes to parents being able to access their dead child's data, but no to weakening the security and adding loopholes, only the companies themselves should be able to change the associated email addresses of the accounts when specially requested by the parents, they can then go forgot password and recover the account... without the need to weaken the security
Reply 9
Original post by Jono*
yes to parents being able to access their dead child's data, but no to weakening the security and adding loopholes, only the companies themselves should be able to change the associated email addresses of the accounts when specially requested by the parents, they can then go forgot password and recover the account... without the need to weaken the security

Hmm, that's an elegant idea but sounds too easy... I'm not techie enough to know how practical it is for FB/Apple to change an associated email??
Have to think about it, but I think so as they had parental responsibility and she was still a child.
Maybe they should just get a court order and a judge should consider it.
The tech companies may go on about security, but they are known to frustrate the police and it can take years to gain access even in the case of crime. It is in their interest to be difficult and say no as its cheaper from them to have to deal with requests.

As Doones said just take it to the Israelis.
Reply 11
Original post by 999tigger
As Doones said just take it to the Israelis.

Apparently they charged the FBI USD900k

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
If she had a MacBook too I bet all her passwords are in the Keychain, (probably) protected by a relatively simple overall password.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As a child, no
As a parent, yes
Reply 14
Because its the truth, this has been in the news quite a lot and there was a program on it about how obstructive google, apple and facebook are. The UK police were interviewed about it and they were complaining how it took years and they had hundreds of requests for access for data concerning ongoing criminal investigations and it wasnt happening. They want legislation.

I have a feeling it was from around the time the FBI couldnt access that Iphone.
I dunno if they'll like what they'll see, so maybe they should be protected from it.
Original post by Jono*

You either have security or you don't. There's no middle ground "security but we'll only let the right people in" as this would quickly lead to the wrong people getting through.
Original post by jameswhughes
You either have security or you don't. There's no middle ground "security but we'll only let the right people in" as this would quickly lead to the wrong people getting through.

Nonsense argument. Law enforcement should have access to such data bu the safeguiard is by getting a court rder and verifying who is requesting the data and what for.
Original post by 999tigger
Nonsense argument. Law enforcement should have access to such data bu the safeguiard is by getting a court rder and verifying who is requesting the data and what for.

I mean it's not as simple as just letting her parents in, and that's the end of it. If that was possible, then fine, but if you were to get rid of encryption and start having workaround methods they would inevitably end up in the wrong hands.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending