The Student Room Group

Which anti-freeze/de-icer etc to get?

Hi,

I'm clueless when it comes to cars, and for all the relevant things that need checking under the bonnet (oil/screenwasher fluid/anti-freeze coolant) de-icer, I have no idea what type would suit my car (no manual) and there seem to be different ones.

I used Halfords website that I hoped would find me my appropriate bulb for my headlight but turned out my car needs a two, not a three, pin bulb so that shows how inadequate I am in these matters.

If there are any other things I need to consider buying, that would be appreciated also.

Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by Aky786UK
Hi,

I'm clueless when it comes to cars, and for all the relevant things that need checking under the bonnet (oil/screenwasher fluid/anti-freeze coolant) de-icer, I have no idea what type would suit my car (no manual) and there seem to be different ones.

I used Halfords website that I hoped would find me my appropriate bulb for my headlight but turned out my car needs a two, not a three, pin bulb so that shows how inadequate I am in these matters.

If there are any other things I need to consider buying, that would be appreciated also.

Thank you.

Why are you buying coolant? Is your coolant low? That would usually be spotted during a service.
Reply 2
Everything should be within the manufacturers handbook if you give it a read.
Halfords website has given me some bum information about lightbulbs in the past but afaict it seems accurate for things that aren't lightbulbs. You could cross check with euro car parts website
or an indepenent car parts shop... these seem pretty thorough in getting you the exactly right part if there was a change affecting some cars of that model/year.

Make sure you know the difference between coolant (which is also known as anti-freeze) and all season screenwash and which hole each lives in.
Some shops put them next to each other on the shelf and I'm sure some people must be getting it wrong.

in terms of a reasonably priced brand name that's widely available... IMHO Carplan for screenwash, de-icer, car shampoo etc and Carlube (same company as Carplan) for engine oil, Bluecol (again same company as carplan) for antifreeze is fine. Just noticed they seem to have brought out bluecol branded screenwash which will only add to the confusion IMO

I get the carplan screenwash concentrate and put it into the washer bottle undiluted,grab it when you see it at a low price... amazon seems to have jacked the price right up on it - probably cos we just had a cold spell. fairly sure I paid £5 for 3 one liter bottles a month ago in a brick and mortar shop.
Original post by IWMTom
Why are you buying coolant? Is your coolant low? That would usually be spotted during a service.

You mean you don't have a bottle of coolant in your car?

I've always had a spare bottle of coolant, windscreen wash and oil in the boot, never know when you're gonna need it
Reply 5
Original post by dickwhittington
You mean you don't have a bottle of coolant in your car?

I've always had a spare bottle of coolant, windscreen wash and oil in the boot, never know when you're gonna need it

I keep washer fluid, but that's all out of the three. Coolant? Why bother - if you end up needing it, water will do as a temporary measure. Oil? Just make sure it's topped up before starting your journey.

My boot space is valuable.
Steady on, anti freeze is not the same as de-icer. Don't go mixing those up for starters.

Don't bother keeping anti freeze in your car. If you get a leak, use pure water and get it to a garage immediately.

Check oil and water levels periodically, maybe once a month, do it when you check the tyre pressures at a garage. Don't go carrying around loads of stuff as it is all just extra weight meaning more fuel to burn and also they can leak.

I have never carried any oil or antifreeze in my car. A set of decent sockets (5 or 6 the sizes of typical wheel nuts) and a breaker bar under the boot floor in case you need to change a wheel (most tools that come with cars are pants) are all you need.

Get a road map and keep an adaptor to charge your phone in your car and that is largely it unless you want to carry a first aid kid though most of these are pants anyway.

A thick coat and a hi vis are essential for anyone who drives as part of their working day.
Oil - I wouldn't be particularly fussed about getting oil unless you're changing it yourself or you need to top it off.
Screenwash - Just about any off the shelf stuff should do really. You can buy premixed fluid or you can buy a concentrate and make your own fluid. Just make sure it can withstand temperatures that your area sees in the winter.
Coolant - Again, I wouldn't be too fussed about this unless there's an actual issue with the coolant.

On the note of the manual, some car manufacturers provide a free online manual through their website. Else you could probably find an upload of your car's manual somewhere.

Shops aren't 100% accurate with their parts suggestions, so you need to keep that one in mind as well.

Quick Reply

Latest