The Student Room Group

UCL PGCE Offer Holders 2018/19

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone that has got onto a UCL/IOE PGCE been sent any summer work or a reading list yet? Also, has anyone found any facebook groups for those starting in September?:smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
what was the interview like for science? my friend said it was quite difficult because they like to ask scientific questions?
Original post by MadeleineRC
I just received my offer for doing a primary PGCE! Starting in September anyone else?

Hey, Just wanted to know, how was the interview day? what kind of interview questions did they ask you? How was the maths and literacy test? What was the literacy test on? What was the presentation like? Any tips would be great!

My interview is on the 25th of Jan.
Does anyone know if PGCE at UCL is internationally recognised?
Original post by Samirah Oyede
Does anyone know if PGCE at UCL is internationally recognised?

Yes it is
although any PGCE is internationally recognised.
Amazing thanks alot.

Original post by thenextchemist
Yes it is
although any PGCE is internationally recognised.
Anyone going to the interview on Tuesday?
Hi

Can anyone currently studying a PGCE at UCL advise how long on average they spend travelling daily to their placement?
Original post by laura9519
Hi

Can anyone currently studying a PGCE at UCL advise how long on average they spend travelling daily to their placement?

from my interview, they said it can take up to 1.5 hours but they'll try and give you a school near to your postcode but it's not guaranteed. this is why I decided to do school direct with UCL because I know the schools I will he travelling to are close to me.
Hi

Hi
It varies quite a lot. The placement I’m on at the minute is a 20 walk from my house but I know a few people that do have an hour commute to their placement.
Hope this helps!
Thanks you for getting back to me! Do you know if placements tend to be concentrated in certain areas? I live in zone 6 (North West London), and a lot of nearby schools which previously offered placements through UCL no longer do so.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 31
Hey,

My friend on the UCL PGCE Secondary MFL told me he was asked to complete a 5-day primary observation - after he was made an offer - and a related assignment before the course starts. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I'm confused - why would a PGCE Secondary trainee need to observe in a primary setting? But he also mentioned when the course actually started, many of his classmates did not do this at all. If this is really what UCL asks for, I wonder if previously done observations can count, or I have to do new ones or go back to the teacher I observed to sign on the UCL paperwork.

Thx!
Original post by bamblue
Hey,

My friend on the UCL PGCE Secondary MFL told me he was asked to complete a 5-day primary observation - after he was made an offer - and a related assignment before the course starts. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I'm confused - why would a PGCE Secondary trainee need to observe in a primary setting? But he also mentioned when the course actually started, many of his classmates did not do this at all. If this is really what UCL asks for, I wonder if previously done observations can count, or I have to do new ones or go back to the teacher I observed to sign on the UCL paperwork.

Thx!

yep, this is a requirement for me too.
it's just to see the progression from uesd 6 to year 7 to be honest. they give more information about whh you have to do this at the interview as well as on your offer email.
Reply 33
yep, this is a requirement for me too.
it's just to see the progression from uesd 6 to year 7 to be honest. they give more information about whh you have to do this at the interview as well as on your offer email.

thanks! So you recieve this requirement as an offer condition, or optional pre course task? the thing is I'm an overseas student and it's not always possible to fly to the UK for observation. I've done secondary observations thou.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by bamblue
thanks! So you recieve this requirement as an offer condition, or optional pre course task? the thing is I'm an overseas student and it's not always possible to fly to the UK for observation. I've done secondary observations thou.

ahh okay
its more of a requirement for your offer but doesnt necessarily mean you will lose your offer.
When are you coming to the UK? You could always do it at the beginning of September?
Reply 35
ahh okay
its more of a requirement for your offer but doesnt necessarily mean you will lose your offer.
When are you coming to the UK? You could always do it at the beginning of September?

It seems schools are not open until September...also I have the dbs to worry about, i heard it is peak time in Sep for dbs, it's worrying as there is risk that I won't be able to start on my placement in time. Just don't know how other overseas students do this:s-smilie:
Original post by bamblue
It seems schools are not open until September...also I have the dbs to worry about, i heard it is peak time in Sep for dbs, it's worrying as there is risk that I won't be able to start on my placement in time. Just don't know how other overseas students do this:s-smilie:

have you already recieved your offer from UCL?
You can pay for your DBS and Occupatonal Health Check now so that's over and done with - this can be done on through UCL portal.
and the schools are mainly closed in August so you've got plenty of time to do the experience. beginning of September shoukd be fine as you'd already be in the UK and have your DBS.
Thanks you for getting back to me! Do you know if placements tend to be concentrated in certain areas? I live in zone 6 (North West London), and a lot of nearby schools which previously offered placements through UCL no longer do so.

UCL has the biggest number of placement partners in the UK, so you should expect to be placed fairly close to where you live. I also live in NW and both of my placements have been about 20 minutes drive away.
Hi is the 5 day school experience in a primary school compulsory? I have an offer to start September 2020 for pgce secondary. Will I get kicked out if I do not do this requirement?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending