The Student Room Group

What do you think the most interesting event in history was?

I want to do history A level, and I'm not entirely sure what to base my future coursework on. So, I want to see what other people think are the most interesting events in history that might flicker some inspiration in me.
Also, it's pretty fascinating to see some different perspectives on it.
Cheers :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reconquista and the sons of Henry II betraying him... (with his wife Eleanor of Aquitaine)
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
Reconquista and the sons of Henry II betraying him... (with his wife Eleanor of Aquitaine)

That's a cool choice, do you do history for a level/something else?
The fall of Constantinople. (1453). Ending one of the most influential empires ever.
French Revolution ,
Original post by XKangaotiCX
That's a cool choice, do you do history for a level/something else?

no, just a general history geek lol
The witch hunt of Salem (U.S.). Or just witch hunting in general. East Anglia is also quite interesting. It's worth looking at the role of religion in killing thousands of people (especially women). We do a whole paper on it in History A-Level. :tongue:
I found learning about it a bit pointless at the beginning but now I understand how ridiculous it was that we let witch hunts happen.
Original post by Andrew97
The fall of Constantinople. (1453). Ending one of the most influential empires ever.
French Revolution ,

Never heard of the first one, but I'm looking into it. Where did you hear about it?
Original post by potatina
The witch hunt of Salem (U.S.). Or just witch hunting in general. East Anglia is also quite interesting. It's worth looking at the role of religion in killing thousands of people (especially women). We do a whole paper on it in History A-Level. :tongue:
I found learning about it a bit pointless at the beginning but now I understand how ridiculous it was that we let witch hunts happen.

Completely agree, they had a twisted logic back in those days...
Original post by XKangaotiCX
Never heard of the first one, but I'm looking into it. Where did you hear about it?

Have no idea tbh.

The French Revolution might be a better one, as there is more on it.
Likewise the war of the roses would be a good one
Reply 9
Easter Rising.
Reply 10
New Year 2006
The fall of Rome. or the birth of the Holy Roman Empire, they carved out a lot of euroupe into what it is now.
The origins of the First World War is also quite interesting. No one still quite understands who was to blame for the beginning of it.
World War 2 if we ever see its like again I doubt many of us will be living.
The day I was born
The cold war is fascinating for me! Also the nuremberg trials
Original post by Andrew97
Have no idea tbh.

The French Revolution might be a better one, as there is more on it.
Likewise the war of the roses would be a good one

Not too sure on this, but is napoleon involved in the french revolution? He seems to crop up in a lot of historical references I've seen
Original post by JoshDarnIt
The day I was born

Ha, now that's beating the system
Something generic like manifest destiny idk i hate history. No idea why i chose it at gcse
Original post by Tamimur
Something generic like manifest destiny idk i hate history. No idea why i chose it at gcse

Gah, sorry to hear it man. In all honesty, I'm not the biggest fan of history gcse, I don't think the subjects we are taught really give history the credit it deserves in terms of how interesting it can be - it's all migration, and honestly, who cares? I want the meaty stuff - I like the sad parts of history which really teach a lesson.

Quick Reply

Latest