The Student Room Group

which city

hi I'm looking to apply for uni and am wondering whether to move to a big city like london or not? Ive never lived in a big city is london a good city for students to live in?
Reply 1
my friend goes to a London university and hates it! things to remember are the cost of living and the high costs for going out just for a night out will cost you ££'s more than other smaller cities. also, even if you have friends but you're studying on your own, a big city can make you feel lonely. London is great though in terms of libraries and galleries etc so don't completely discount it, but nearly every other city university has a cheaper cost of living and also the same sort of stuff with culture and history and libraries, just on a smaller scale. I come from a small village in Cornwall and I now live in Durham for uni, and if you come from a small area too, small cities are quite a good thing if you're feeling homesick. which other city unis are you looking at?
Reply 2
Original post by benb00
my friend goes to a London university and hates it! things to remember are the cost of living and the high costs for going out just for a night out will cost you ££'s more than other smaller cities. also, even if you have friends but you're studying on your own, a big city can make you feel lonely. London is great though in terms of libraries and galleries etc so don't completely discount it, but nearly every other city university has a cheaper cost of living and also the same sort of stuff with culture and history and libraries, just on a smaller scale. I come from a small village in Cornwall and I now live in Durham for uni, and if you come from a small area too, small cities are quite a good thing if you're feeling homesick. which other city unis are you looking at?

thanks for the advice its really helpful. im looking at leeds, teeside and norwich as well at the minute i know a bit of a random mix :smile:
Reply 3
My best friend at uni is from Leeds and she says it's probably one of the best cities (of course she's gonna be a bit biased) but apparently the nightlife is great and it's really cheap. tbh the further north you go, the cheaper the city :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by benb00
My best friend at uni is from Leeds and she says it's probably one of the best cities (of course she's gonna be a bit biased) but apparently the nightlife is great and it's really cheap. tbh the further north you go, the cheaper the city :smile:

Thats true I might be more suited to the northern life I will be sure to look at all options
thanks
Reply 5
no worries :smile: if you have any more questions just let me know

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending