The Student Room Group

Alternate History series: What If John F. Kennedy Had Survived?

Continuing on with our alternate history series, what if John F. Kennedy had survived? How would this have changed events?
No President Johnson. That’s all I got.
Original post by shadowdweller
Continuing on with our alternate history series, what if John F. Kennedy had survived? How would this have changed events?

He was never shot in the first place. Nor was Abraham Lincoln.
Original post by PRINGLES547
He was never shot in the first place. Nor was Abraham Lincoln.

I think that is fairly contradictory to the historical events that occurred :holmes:
I think that is fairly contradictory to the historical events that occurred :holmes:

Lee Harvey Oswald
John Wilkes Booth

They always give you three names so as to drum it into your brain.

I am afraid all your series is doing is showing the lack of depth of historical understanding of TSR posters.

No-one has shown any understanding of the differences between the Kennedy and Johnson policy positions. No-one has offered a view on whether any Democrat would have run against the Yankee Kennedy who didn't run against the Southerner Johnson in 1964. Would someone other than Goldwater have secured the Republican nomination against Kennedy in 1964?
Original post by nulli tertius
I am afraid all your series is doing is showing the lack of depth of historical understanding of TSR posters.

No-one has shown any understanding of the differences between the Kennedy and Johnson policy positions. No-one has offered a view on whether any Democrat would have run against the Yankee Kennedy who didn't run against the Southerner Johnson in 1964. Would someone other than Goldwater have secured the Republican nomination against Kennedy in 1964?

Inevitable, perhaps, given the site's demographic?
Reply 7
Well, JFK was the closest president to a nuclear war, with the Cuban Missile crisis.
If he'd survived, the world could have fallen to nuclear war.
Original post by ageshallnot
Inevitable, perhaps, given the site's demographic?

The 1960s are long enough ago to be “history”. A significant proportion of the site have studied history at A level or above and many will have specifically studied the Civil Rights Era and/or the Cold War.
Original post by nulli tertius
The 1960s are long enough ago to be “history”. A significant proportion of the site have studied history at A level or above and many will have specifically studied the Civil Rights Era and/or the Cold War.

i think that meaningful counterfactual history requires a greater level of understanding than that required by GCSE and A-level.
While Stephen King is just an author, his alternate reality of JFK surviving in 11.22.63 is pretty plausible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending