The Student Room Group

Buckingham Palace summer jobs 2019

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone is considering applying for any of the roles at Buckingham Palace over summer 2019, such as a warden, in retail or in ticket sales.

Also has anyone done this before? If so what was the your experience like? And I know it's silly but I'm wondering if you get to keep the uniform?

Banana :h::h:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Has anyone been invinted to interviews in Feb?

Original post by Banana00
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone is considering applying for any of the roles at Buckingham Palace over summer 2019, such as a warden, in retail or in ticket sales.

Also has anyone done this before? If so what was the your experience like? And I know it's silly but I'm wondering if you get to keep the uniform?

Banana :h::h:
Reply 2
Hi! I applied for Ticket Sales and Information Assistant and I'll have a phone interview in two days. Any advice about possible questions? When usually take place face-to-face interviews in Feb?
Reply 3
Original post by ingnan
Hi! I applied for Ticket Sales and Information Assistant and I'll have a phone interview in two days. Any advice about possible questions? When usually take place face-to-face interviews in Feb?

Weird, i didnt have a telephone interview. How was the telephone interview?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Cherx
Weird, i didnt have a telephone interview. How was the telephone interview?

It lasted 10 minutes, they asked me about previous experiences with customers, questions about working in a team, how I was expecting a typical day, etc. I'm Italian so for me it was more difficult than normal, obviously, I hope it went well

Do you guys know how long does it take them to reply?
(edited 5 years ago)
Anyone applied for warden role? Heard back today and got a date for the assessment centre next week! Didn’t have a phone interview though.
Reply 6
Original post by Catrina_R
Anyone applied for warden role? Heard back today and got a date for the assessment centre next week! Didn’t have a phone interview though.

Good luck and let us know!
Reply 7
Hi, i worked there last summer and will be working there summer of 2019, it was fantastic experiences you meet a lot of people and makes lots of friends by the end, most of the wardens are student so you can all connect easily. its gets very busy at times but we always pull through. You have like different teams and you work with every team at some point during the summer. you don't get to keep the uniform unfortunately lol.
Reply 8

For the warden role there is not a phone interview that for retail and tickets i believe, you have to go to an assement centre, where you do group work, presentation, then one to one interviews, its usually fun not too diffcult. i found it fun as i didn't let my nerves get the best of me, i just did my best to interact with my group. The interview questions is based on what you submitted in your application and you also get some scenario questions.

good luck!
Reply 9
Original post by ingnan
It lasted 10 minutes, they asked me about previous experiences with customers, questions about working in a team, how I was expecting a typical day, etc. I'm Italian so for me it was more difficult than normal, obviously, I hope it went well

Do you guys know how long does it take them to reply?

it can take up up to 4 weeks i think depending on when your interview was, i had a reply within a week or 2 i think. there are a lot of people they interview so it might take a while for them to give you a decision.
Original post by a_x_a45
For the warden role there is not a phone interview that for retail and tickets i believe, you have to go to an assement centre, where you do group work, presentation, then one to one interviews, its usually fun not too diffcult. i found it fun as i didn't let my nerves get the best of me, i just did my best to interact with my group. The interview questions is based on what you submitted in your application and you also get some scenario questions.

good luck!

Thank you so much for the help! Is there anything I can do to prepare for the assessment centre? I was going to research the Royal Household and look at typical customer service interview questions but not sure if there is much else I can do.
Original post by ingnan
Good luck and let us know!

Thank you! I will.
Reply 11
Original post by a_x_a45
it can take up up to 4 weeks i think depending on when your interview was, i had a reply within a week or 2 i think. there are a lot of people they interview so it might take a while for them to give you a decision.

Thank you for your answer! I'll wait patiently, fingers crossed!
Reply 12
Thank you so much for the help! Is there anything I can do to prepare for the assessment centre? I was going to research the Royal Household and look at typical customer service interview questions but not sure if there is much else I can do.

Thank you! I will.

No problem, there is not much however do go through your submitted application memorise the questions you answered, make sure whatever you wrote is true and honest so that you can elaborate during the interviews if asked about it, also majority of the questions they ask you is based on the work do in the assessment centre. Don’t stress too much it can be nerve racking but stay cool, engaged, and makes sure you are friendly to the people in your group and have a smile on your face it really does help!. Another tip i would suggest is the way you dress ( dress smart) and introducing yourself, it really does say a lot about you. Also, you are being watched by your potential interviewer so make a good impression. At the end of the day they want people who are friendly, outgoing, not stuck up, a team player - which is major reason they will employ you because the work you do in the summer based around teamwork.

all the best and feel free to message me privately if needed.:smile:
Reply 13
Original post by ingnan
Thank you for your answer! I'll wait patiently, fingers crossed!

no problem good luck, honestly i just forgot about it( until i got an email) and just got on with my A levels because it would of been too much stress to constantly think about it. :biggrin:
Reply 14
I had my phone interview yesterday guys, honestly it was so bad. I thought id be fine and wing it, but as soon as she started talking to me I got so nervous and my responses were so **** :frown: I really wanted this job as well.
Reply 15
Original post by H_Ax123
I had my phone interview yesterday guys, honestly it was so bad. I thought id be fine and wing it, but as soon as she started talking to me I got so nervous and my responses were so **** :frown: I really wanted this job as well.

Who knows you might have got lucky.

And apparently after the interview it's 2 weeks notice if you have got through or not? Also did anyone have their interview today?
Original post by Cherx
Who knows you might have got lucky.

And apparently after the interview it's 2 weeks notice if you have got through or not? Also did anyone have their interview today?

I had mine, think it went okay! Thanks a_x_a45 for your answers before, they were really useful. It was a pretty straightforward group task and one-to-one interview, pretty similar to what's been described from earlier years.
Original post by Matty77891
Guys this may be the most stupid question, but how about the dress code?Beard, hair grooming, piercings (like nosering), shoes. . . How is that sort of stuff? Are they open? Very closed mind? Better to avoid poercings and tats? What’s the clothing style for the interview? Very formal? Hope my question is not too silly and someone can answer.

I don't know anything about the dress code for the job but for the interview I'd say go formal. When I went there it was a mix; some had gone super formal (suits and smart dresses) and others were a little more casual in jumpers. But I would still say dress smart because it makes a good impression and shows you care.
Original post by Cherx
Has anyone been invinted to interviews in Feb?

Hey all, I've applied for the Retail Assistant role and damn I'm so freaking nervous for my interview! I've got it on the coming Thurs 21st. Does anyone know happens on the interview day, I saw that the interview lasts more than 2 hours? Also, if anyone knows what types of questions they'd ask which catches u off guard (other than teamwork), that'd be helpful, thanks!
Original post by euphorism
Hey all, I've applied for the Retail Assistant role and damn I'm so freaking nervous for my interview! I've got it on the coming Thurs 21st. Does anyone know happens on the interview day, I saw that the interview lasts more than 2 hours? Also, if anyone knows what types of questions they'd ask which catches u off guard (other than teamwork), that'd be helpful, thanks!

Hi, congrats on the interview!

I did the warden assessment centre so no idea if yours will be the same but I’ll give you my experience in case it’s helpful.

We started with a quick game to break the ice, then they give a presentation about your role. We then had to do a group task and do a little presentation in our groups about the task. You don’t have to speak for very long.

Then the bit which takes a while is afterwards as you wait for your one-to-one interview/security details. Interview is pretty straightforward but I’d think it’s probably different for retail in the specific questions they asked. Look over your application as they ask questions on what you answered. There’s also a scenario question and then a couple of ‘tell me when you did.../how could you have improved?’ questions but I think yours will be tailored towards retail so giving good customer service/working under pressure. Felt like the interview went really quickly! The interviewers were lovely and put you at ease. I was really nervous but honestly it isn’t too bad. Any other questions let me know!
Thank you SO much for the detail about the interview, it sounds like I shouldn't be too worked up about it, and I'll be sure to keep u updated! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending