The Student Room Group

Assignment HELP! developmental psychology

hi everyone, I'm hoping you can help me.. as I am really struggling to understand the assignment we have been givien. and due to The hospital, I only have a few days to write it.
The module is Developmental Psychology the essay is based upon the case study below.
Emily has been a thoughtful and quietly determined child since she was young. She lives with her older brother and her mother. She sees her father on some weekends. Ever since she was little, Emily has preferred toys and activities for boys. She spent a lot of time with her older brother and his friends when she was younger. It has been difficult for Emily’s mum to get her to dress like a girl. Emily keeps her hair short and wears trousers or shorts all the time. Emily’s mum used to joke that she has two sons instead of a son and a daughter.
Now in year 9, Emily insists that she would like to be called Ed and treated like a boy. She told her mum and teachers that she would like to have gender reassignment procedures when she is old enough. She is undergoing medical and psychological assessments to pursue her wish. She refuses to wear skirt for her school uniform. She wears shirt and tie instead of the regulation blouse. As Emily goes to a girls-only school, her wish to be treated like a boy has caused discussions. Ed played piano at a school concert with ‘Ed’ printed on the programme. When he received his academic awards, it was Emily printed on the certificates. Most of her friends got on with their daily life as usual while some became distant. It took time for people around Emily/Ed to adjust to her/his change. The girls, teachers and some parents initially struggled to use the appropriate pronouns when they talked about her (him?). Some parents felt uncomfortable and expressed concerns to the school. Some girls attend the single-sex school for religious reasons. Their parents think Emily should change school if she wants to be treated like a boy. Other parents also worry that she is making a bad example in school and more girls will copy her behaviour.

1. What are the key developmental issues and processes underlying Ed/Emily’s behaviour?
2. How useful are the relevant theories of developmental psychology in explaining Ed/Emily’s case?
3. Based on the psychological theories and research you have reviewed in the essay (Questions 1&2), which theory best explains Ed/Emily’s case?
it is 2000 words long I was also told not to just write about gender theories... im really confused and have no idea what to do or how to even start it ive done a lot of research into the gender theories but still have no idea what I have to do.
You can talk about many different aspects than just gender development, the former could be the overarching theme though.
Reply 2
Original post by random_matt
You can talk about many different aspects than just gender development, the former could be the overarching theme though.

what other aspects would you suggest, biological?
Original post by naomijordan
what other aspects would you suggest, biological?

There's one, but it may be beneficial to research around gender dysphoria (Believe they have changed what it is called now). Remember that dispositions conflict with ones environment, so you may ask has this individual already had a predisposition triggered by some stimulus within the environment. Was that predisposition genetic? Was it developed through parental upbringing?

You can talk about so many things.

(You may want to talk to the tutor who set this question, I am no expert in the area you are reading about)
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest