The Student Room Group

What do you do when you fall for someone who is unattainable?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by roseprincessx
What’s your situation if you don’t mind me asking?x

How do you mean?
Original post by modifiedgenes
Now listen to me. There is nobody who is unattainable. Someone said to me once, if you want something enough: you find a way.

I doubt there is a man (or woman) alive who has not have a serious crush on someone they thought totally out of their league but believe me: I managed to capture (temporarily) not one but two of my personal unicorns and it was worth it. Furthermore, if I can manage this insane feat then literally anyone can. I promise you now, I am being 100% genuine- when I was in my 20s I had literally zero self confidence. The trick of it is to pretend you have confidence. Women, in particular, seem attracted to confidence.

Your first step is to ditch any notion that you can't have what you want: you can have it, you begin to dress and live in a way that helps you foster a sense of confidence. Whatever it takes you to achieve that, you do. If working out in the gym works for you, do that. If a particular set of clothes or shoes or lucky cuff links works for you, do that. If a BMW M3 works for you, do that.

Don't look back. Abandon all doubt and reservation.

Even if they're married and much older than you? Lol you sound nuts.
Original post by Anonymous
How do you mean?

why do you feel that the person you want to be with is unattainable? like are the circumstances surrounding you both not good or wrong timing if ygm? Do they like you back? Etc
Even if they're married and much older than you? Lol you sound nuts.

I am nuts but in a good way. :biggrin:

Even if they are married and older than you. Yes. In fact, one of my unicorns was exactly that, like 15 years older.

The question, however, then becomes not so much whether you can but whether you actually should.

When you grow a bit older, you may actually realise that the recognition of what you could do or have is actually just as good as the deed itself.

Tread carefully on peoples feelings.

Every second was worth it. Believe me, but such things are never meant to last.
what CAN you do
There's only one girl I fell for. She was with someone else. We confessed we liked each other, a lot. She was so confused cause she was in love with her long term partner as well... I did something I still regret and walked away from the situation. I do still wonder how things would have worked out if I'd asked her to choose between the two of us. Guess what I'm saying is, if you really want them, and it's not too much of a f***ed up situation, then go for it, otherwise you'll always be left wondering.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by roseprincessx
why do you feel that the person you want to be with is unattainable? like are the circumstances surrounding you both not good or wrong timing if ygm? Do they like you back? Etc

Yeah you could say that. No they don't like me back.
I am nuts but in a good way. :biggrin:

Even if they are married and older than you. Yes. In fact, one of my unicorns was exactly that, like 15 years older.

The question, however, then becomes not so much whether you can but whether you actually should.

When you grow a bit older, you may actually realise that the recognition of what you could do or have is actually just as good as the deed itself.

Tread carefully on peoples feelings.

Every second was worth it. Believe me, but such things are never meant to last.

You call them unicorns?
Lol you're either a troll or a very twisted person.
You call them unicorns?
Lol you're either a troll or a very twisted person.

You can believe what you like, I don't do refunds, but a Unicorn is a mythical creature that legend said could never be caught. Describing someone as unattainable is pretty dull and I much prefer my metaphor thanks. That isn't twisted, calling them a piece of meat, victim or target would be twisted.
You can believe what you like, I don't do refunds, but a Unicorn is a mythical creature that legend said could never be caught. Describing someone as unattainable is pretty dull and I much prefer my metaphor thanks. That isn't twisted, calling them a piece of meat, victim or target would be twisted.

yeah its not the terminology that bothers me but your willingness to **** on other people when it suits you.
yeah its not the terminology that bothers me but your willingness to **** on other people when it suits you.

What?

Who said I did anything bad to anyone? You have me all wrong. I'm the very last person on this entire forum who would ever hold a shred of malice for anyone, I'm not some kind of date-rapist or trophy hunter thank you, I have only ever had relationships with other consenting adults and furthermore I can honestly say I probably still have feelings for them to this very day.

This is not some kind of exploitive relationship I am advocating; merely encouragement for people who might otherwise be convinced that sadness is the stuff of life. I can honestly say that is not the case in my experience.
Get a hobby! Keep your mind off it and tell yourself it will pass and this feeling is just a temporary experience. Everyone has loved someone they can’t have, and they have still moved on and had a happy life. You’ll be fine, you’ll get over it-i know it’s easier said than done. But you will :smile:
What?

Who said I did anything bad to anyone? You have me all wrong. I'm the very last person on this entire forum who would ever hold a shred of malice for anyone, I'm not some kind of date-rapist or trophy hunter thank you, I have only ever had relationships with other consenting adults and furthermore I can honestly say I probably still have feelings for them to this very day.

This is not some kind of exploitive relationship I am advocating; merely encouragement for people who might otherwise be convinced that sadness is the stuff of life. I can honestly say that is not the case in my experience.

Consenting adults...who were married.
im in the same situation, my crush has a girlfriend :/
Consenting adults...who were married.

You do not know the circumstances surrounding any of it and are therefore talking about something where you are singularly unaware of the facts.

I have extended you a personal courtesy by talking about something personal to me and in detail, and in response all you offer is judgemental prejudices.

It is unfortunate we cannot see eye to eye on something so close to my heart but it is indeed your loss, not mine.

Everyone deserves some happiness in their lives, however fleeing it may be.
You do not know the circumstances surrounding any of it and are therefore talking about something where you are singularly unaware of the facts.

I have extended you a personal courtesy by talking about something personal to me and in detail, and in response all you offer is judgemental prejudices.

It is unfortunate we cannot see eye to eye on something so close to my heart but it is indeed your loss, not mine.

Everyone deserves some happiness in their lives, however fleeing it may be.

I don't know? You just told me!
Sorry but my sympathies are for the spouses of your `unicorns`. Ugh. I don't know how you live with yourself.
I don't know? You just told me!
Sorry but my sympathies are for the spouses of your `unicorns`. Ugh. I don't know how you live with yourself.

And now you are in multiples... no idea where you got that idea.
Reply 37
What if no one is `up for it with you?` :/

Keep trying, success requires patience and tenacity.
Original post by Zarek
Keep trying, success requires patience and tenacity.

it requires good looks and personality, which I don't have.
Reply 39
it requires good looks and personality, which I don't have.

With both of these things you can play to strengths and work on weaknesses, plus not all potential partners are stunning repartee masters themselves. I know this is easy said and a run of rejections is incredibly demoralising. However I do think retaining self believe and keeping going is the most important factor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending