The Student Room Group

All London police officers to carry spit Hoods

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 999tigger
Are they just to be used in certain circumstances i.e the person has been spotting at them? In that case I support it and they shouldnt spit. Serves them right.

If every arrested person gets one put over their head , then no.

The article just says they will carry them, I assume the actual use will still have the same guidelines.
Original post by Andrew97
The article just says they will carry them, I assume the actual use will still have the same guidelines.

If I were arrested and was co operating plis hadnt spat or bitten anyone up to that time, then I wouldnt be best pleased.
If there are gudelines then i assume they are common sense and they use where appropriate i.e because someone is spitting or known to spit.
Original post by 999tigger
Are they just to be used in certain circumstances i.e the person has been spotting at them? In that case I support it and they shouldnt spit. Serves them right.

If every arrested person gets one put over their head , then no.

There is guidance on their use, search for spit hood guidance there are a couple FOI replies regarding it.
Original post by Dandaman1
Spit hoods? You can't mace someone wearing a spit hood.

Just use duct tape. Leaves the eyes and nose nice and exposed. And it's cheap. Gotta think budgetarily.

Just fart in the hood before you put it over them :wink:
Original post by Notoriety
The Met doesn't police all of London, friend. Heard of the City?

British Transport Police, detectives in the Met, members of the NCA.

The vast majority who police Greater London are in the Metropolitan Police - I think you knew exactly what he meant, and BTP are confined almost entirely to trains and NCA to very serious criminal organisations besides the fact that they do not really constitute a constabulary.
I think it is a good idea in principle - as long as isn't taken out of hand in practice and used to subdue anyone who could spit as opposed to those who have already spat.
Original post by LifeTest
The vast majority who police Greater London are in the Metropolitan Police - I think you knew exactly what he meant, and BTP are confined almost entirely to trains and NCA to very serious criminal organisations besides the fact that they do not really constitute a constabulary.

No, but you're you're overlooking the "All London police officers ..." bit. Not "most" or "All Met ..." or even "London police ...". "All London police officers ..." is a bit of an awkward construction for a proper newspaper. I thought the awkwardness might be justified by the fact there is something about London, as a whole, that is forcing all police officers there to carry these spit-guards. But there isn't; it's just poor phrasing.
Reply 27
I don't give a damn about someone that a police officer is seriously worried will spit or bite them. Stick them in a bloody unicorn hood for all I care.

My worry is a bit like tasers. When they were first introduced, they were presented as an alternative to firearms that would be used in similar circumstances - not to solve more situations, but to solve existing situations in a less-lethal way. Move on more than a decade and you regularly see them being deployed for things the police would never think of using a gun for. They've become a routine alternative to restraint and are now being fired at around 2,000 people a year (and pulled on about 8,000 more).

I don't want to live in a society where arrest almost automatically means having a bloody bag placed over your head.
Original post by The RAR
Just shows how weak our police have become, looks like a big condom worn on a head really. Try to spit on a police officer in the US and you will be on the ground, with handcuffs and a boot over your head, whilst at the same time getting arrested for resisiting arrest. What next? Have speciliased ear plugs so that officers don't hear the words "**** the feds" or "pigs" or anything like that? This is making the police look weak

Erm... the hood goes over the criminal to stop them spitting at the police, it’s not a protective thing that the police wear themselves.
Original post by The RAR
Just shows how weak our police have become, looks like a big condom worn on a head really. Try to spit on a police officer in the US and you will be on the ground, with handcuffs and a boot over your head, whilst at the same time getting arrested for resisiting arrest. What next? Have speciliased ear plugs so that officers don't hear the words "**** the feds" or "pigs" or anything like that? This is making the police look weak

:facepalm2:
Original post by jameswhughes
Erm... the hood goes over the criminal to stop them spitting at the police, it’s not a protective thing that the police wear themselves.

Original post by Decahedron
:facepalm2:

Is it? Apologies, that seems more sensible. Altough I don't really know how exactly is that going to stop the spitting since criminals will be very resilient at wearing them and judging by the looks of it can easily take them off. Also I think of it as a scenario where the criminal spits and runs, would be a little to late to have the hood worn on them by then
Original post by The RAR
Is it? Apologies, that seems more sensible. Altough I don't really know how exactly is that going to stop the spitting since criminals will be very resilient at wearing them and judging by the looks of it can easily take them off. Also I think of it as a scenario where the criminal spits and runs, would be a little to late to have the hood worn on them by then

How would they take it off when their hands are cuffed behind their back? :facepalm:
Original post by Decahedron
How would they take it off when their hands are cuffed behind their back? :facepalm:

I have not read the article fully, by my understanding, it is still unclear as to when these hoods can be used. Will these hoods be used in stop and search situations? If so then people don't always have handcuffs on them when they are being stopped and searched, therefore can easily remove them
Original post by The RAR
I have not read the article fully, by my understanding, it is still unclear as to when these hoods can be used. Will these hoods be used in stop and search situations? If so then people don't always have handcuffs on them when they are being stopped and searched, therefore can easily remove them

They have been in use for quite sometime now but it used to be limited to custody suites only.

Guidelines for use. Funnily enough they are basic common sense.
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
spit hoods, or forced sterilisations ?? :rolleyes:

Too far :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending