The Student Room Group

Cafe owner admits to discriminating against British workers

Scroll to see replies

I'm not sure the British people who make such discoveries typically find themselves in competition with cheap Eastern European labour.
Reply 21
Perhaps this extremely poor business owner meant to say that, in his experience, migrant workers are willing to tolerate ******** managers, poor conditons and treatment, low pay... and generally being treated like disposable cattle, instead of employees... while British workers won't?
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
Swiss French, but foreigners (e.g. from latin countries or africa) do have a reputation for working hard in manual labour ... though this often crosses into exploitation - so neither side is particularly rosy...

So how much experience do you have of the UK? Dont you feel making sweeping generalisations about an entire nation/ How many working class UK citizens do you know and how many jobs have you had? If its such a horrible place why not stay in your own country amd education system?
Original post by 999tigger
So how much experience do you have of the UK? Dont you feel even more retarded making sweeping generalisations about an entire nation/ How many working class UK citizens do you know and how many jobs have you had? If its such a horrible place why not stay in your own country amd education system?

lol calm down Mr Farage - lived here for 7 years - would say the same about my country too, foreigners in manual labour usually work harder, and are often exploited too - seem to have pressed a nerve...

yes it is a generalisation based on observations - not all foreigners work hard vice versa but do tend to...
lol calm down Mr Farage - lived here for 7 years - would say the same about my country too, foreigners in manual labour usually work harder, and are often exploited too - seem to have pressed a nerve...

yes it is a generalisation based on observations - not all foreigners work hard vice versa but do tend to...

Only when people are ignorant and make generalisations. You fit the bill.

999tigger.exe has stopped working

Error code: logic

It's obviously true that people who have the wherewithal to go to another country to find work will tend to have a good work ethic.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
It's obviously true that people who have the wherewithal to go to another country to find work will tend to have a good work ethic.

People move for different reasons.
Original post by DarthRoar
The cafe owners are clearly operating illegally. They don't allow their staff to take sick days (they later added 'without a sick note' but really, they're the kind to severely pressure employees not to, and sick notes are only legally requied after 7 days of sickness). They dock wages from previous shifts, something illegal under labour law.

Seems like they're inferior bosses.

Yes, exactly. This is not a story about a man who thinks Brits have 'poor work ethic'. The real story is that this absolute scumbag likes to employ workers from poorer Eastern European countries because he knows he can trample all over their rights and they likely won't make a stink about it.
Original post by Captain Haddock
Yes, exactly. This is not a story about a man who thinks Brits have 'poor work ethic'. The real story is that this absolute scumbag likes to employ workers from poorer Eastern European countries because he knows he can trample all over their rights and they likely won't make a stink about it.

thought of this after reading your username lol

Reply 30
Original post by Andrew97
https://t.co/9RZopSnqMY

I’m no PR person, but saying the largest population group is lazy is not great publicity.

It's true, foreigners are often like machines when it comes to work, ...especially Europeans.

Very strong work ethic, able to work long hours without it effecting them ..often for sh*tty pay too

I envy them. By comparrison my work ethic is quite poor. I will avoid working for as long as possible until my bank balance starts to get into danger levels
Original post by Just my opinion
When people get off their ass and travel to this country to improve themselves they tend to have a better work ethic than many of the people that stay behind as well as low qualified Brits. Earning two or three times the amount you did back home for a similar job tends to do that.

Brits that move to Australia, Canada and the US tend to have a better work ethic than low qualified Australians, Canadians and Yanks.

The thing is, people who cross the continent to make a bit of cash to send home to their families probably do have a better work ethic than the average unskilled Brit.

This, I don't want to sound like a douche but a migrant leaving his home and travelling here to work will be much more motivated to work (better life) than your brit who stayed in this island for his whole life really, feeding on welfare benefits. I think they should still hire Brit people as generlisation is never good, everyone deserves a chance
It is true though, British people are lazy in taxing jobs involving manual labour... (trigger warning) many immigrants often work much harder than their British counterparts so can be expected...

The problem is, it being true is largely irrelivant as it doesn't make it morally right.. if it turned out that statistically black british people were less productive on average then white british people, whilst it may be 'true' it would sitll be immoral to start to descriminate against black workers when recruiting.
‘It is true, comprehensively, that every single one of the British employees that we’ve had will call in and have some issues, or be late. Be very different employee to have.

That is most probably factually true, it is a recognizable picture having worked with people from all over the world. The most unhelpful and work-shy people on average are Brits who feel too good for such things. I don't believe this woman was late for her trial because her bus broke down at all.

I did once work in a caff where the owners did their best to recruit foreign, I actually introduced the first Brit in the form of a waitress. Lasted two weeks, boss (politely) told her one day to go clean some tables instead of standing there like a spare one at a wedding. Grabbed her coat and walked out. Went on to forge a career as a single mother living off the social instead.

Still, 75% of generalizations are wrong. Of course not every Brit is like that, they have them in every country.
Original post by fallen_acorns
The problem is, it being true is largely irrelivant as it doesn't make it morally right.. if it turned out that statistically black british people were less productive on average then white british people, whilst it may be 'true' it would sitll be immoral to start to descriminate against black workers when recruiting.

I had no idea Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez was on TSR...
Original post by Jebedee
I had no idea Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez was on TSR...

because you think I am putting feelings/morals over facts/reality?

is that what you are refering to?
Original post by fallen_acorns
because you think I am putting feelings/morals over facts/reality?

is that what you are refering to?

It's more than that I just think that. That's exactly what you said.
They aren’t lazy though, they just don’t want to work 17 hours a day in a cramped, badly lit workplace for a terrible wage barely more than they would get in unemployment benefits. The reason Eastern Europeans and others are willing to do this is because the terrible wage is actually pretty good when converted into their currencies and sent back, much better than a similar job would pay there.
Original post by Jebedee
It's more than that I just think that. That's exactly what you said.

I wanted to be sure because I am not that familiar with Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez.. I wasn't sure which part of her ideas/person you were refing to.

Anyway, to the point - yes sometimes its bennificial to ignore facts in favour of peoples emotions, if it leads to a bigger and more bennifical goal for society.

the way I view it:

lets say you live in a hypothetical nation of 40% x people, and 60% y people... lets say its a fact that x people are on average 25% less productive/smart/capable then y people.

Accepting the fact is fine... then what do you do with it? The most efficient model of organising that society is going to result in an effectively two-tiered society, with an upper strata predominatly made up of Y people, and a lower made up of X people. It will be highly efficienty and productive, but also unstable. The likelyhood is that X people will rebel and rise up at somepoint, either resulting in their forced subjication or a split of the nation.

A better option for me, is acting like the difference doesn't exist. You know it does, but by acting like it doesn't. Firstly, you don't hinder the exceptions from group X, who are above average for their group, and secondly, your sacrifice of a degree of efficiency gains you an improved level of harmony/social cohesion, which in the long-run leads to a more prosperous and stable society.

The difference betweenme and Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez, would be that she would deny the fact exists.. whereas I ackowledge and agree that the fact exists and is correct, whilst at the same time realising that its best for society as a whole to ignore it.

With the case in this thread - the evidence is clear to see. As this cafe owners business imploads around him... yes he is right, british workers are not as efficient on average as migrant workers... yes he would have been better off ignoring this fact, and still approaching the situation as if they were equal.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 39
The thing is, people who cross the continent to make a bit of cash to send home to their families probably do have a better work ethic than the average unskilled Brit.

I don't think it actually has anything to do with work ethic, it has everything to do with wages and the cost of living. If there was a wealthier nation that offered double the UK minimum wage to pick fruit during the summer, I'd go and do it in a heartbeat, and so would thousands of others. But alas no such opportunity exists for us, and fruit picking within Britain is not even worth doing if you want to have even the most basic standard of living. If British people refuse to do certain jobs, it's usually because the pay is simply too low to live on, not because they have a poor work ethic

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending