The Student Room Group

AS exams and resits

i got a terrible result (U/F) in my AS Edexcel exams which was totally unexpected. And a friend of mine told me that the AS result doesnt matter, and that i just have to do better in my A2s to complete A levels. If thats true then theres no need for any resits for AS as long as i do good in my A2, and i also wont have to repeat the whole year and to repay for my exams. I am so confused with all this A level thing plz help

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nabeeha198185518
i got a terrible result (U/F) in my AS Edexcel exams which was totally unexpected. And a friend of mine told me that the AS result doesnt matter, and that i just have to do better in my A2s to complete A levels. If thats true then theres no need for any resits for AS as long as i do good in my A2, and i also wont have to repeat the whole year and to repay for my exams. I am so confused with all this A level thing plz help

Which A levels are you taking? Are they linear or modular?
Original post by Muttley79

that is what im not sure of ... how can i know if its linear or modular?
that is what im not sure of ... how can i know if its linear or modular?

What is the exam board and are you in England?

well im not quite sure about that. i ve read online that all A level exams are linear now....but idk since when....but i can tell you one thing, i gave my AS level exams in Oct 2018. and im still confused with this linear and modular thing
What is the exam board and are you in England?

edexcel ...and nope not in England
edexcel ...and nope not in England

Then it is likely it is still modular so AS counts - check with your teacher. What is the specification code as you can check online?
(edited 5 years ago)
Then it is likely it is still modular so AS counts - check with your teacher. What is the soecification code as you can check online?

thats the problem ...im on my own here ...as a private candidate,
Then it is likely it is still modular so AS counts - check with your teacher. What is the soecification code as you can check online?

so r u sure that AS still counts and that i ll have to resit ?
if AS counts then you will have to resit. if not you dont, but it wont look good on UCAS
so r u sure that AS still counts and that i ll have to resit ?

What is the exact specification you are studying? There should be a number code ....
Original post by 6085
I sat AS last year. They only mattered in my school as a method of deciding if we continue the course. When we applied to university the AS we dropped was considered but our predicted grades for the subject we continued was prioritized over the actual AS grade. As a private candidate it is potentially a waste to sit AS if you are continuing to A2 especially with the change in the system. If you are continuing to A2 then you do not have to resit AS unless you have a tutor or someone who is not willing to continue teaching you because of your AS grade but in that case you can always get a different tutor

You are in England? Some countrues still have modular A levels so please don't confuse the OP.
Original post by nintysixthousand
if AS counts then you will have to resit. if not you dont, but it wont look good on UCAS

thats exactly what i wanna know....if my AS result will count or not...for ex i got a U in my AS and possibly get a B or an A in A2 will i be qualified?
do we get an overall result after completing AS and A2 or we apply with the separate results of both ....im sorry if i am asking stupid questions
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by 6085
On UCAS tarrif site if you enter same AS and A2:
"Please note that universities and colleges will only count the Tariff points of an AS qualification if you have not completed an A level in the same subject."

Yes, but the OP is taking modular A levels which mean that the AS results contribute half of the A level grade (i.e. A Level = AS + A2) as opposed to the current English system where there is no A2, just AS or A level. . The OP's AS results in itself is not significant but without re-sitting he will do very badly at A level. As Muttley79 has said, the OP is overseas and the rules are different - please don't confuse him.
(edited 5 years ago)
do we get an overall result after completing AS and A2 or we apply with the separate results of both ....im sorry if i am asking stupid questions

We cannot properly answer until you tell us the EXACT spec you are studying. If it is modular your AS UMS are added to your A2 UMS to get your overall grade. If you have an AS grade 'u' then you cannot get a high overall grade.
We cannot properly answer until you tell us the EXACT spec you are studying. If it is modular your AS UMS are added to your A2 UMS to get your overall grade. If you have an AS grade 'u' then you cannot get a high overall grade

i am studying Edexcel A level ....and yes its modular. and while i was preparing for my A2s i got the result of my AS exams ...so should i resit for my AS exams or continue with A2 for the may/june session?
i am studying Edexcel A level ....and yes its modular. and while i was preparing for my A2s i got the result of my AS exams ...so should i resit for my AS exams or continue with A2 for the may/june session?

You could do both [ie resit and take A2] if you want to finish your A level this year. However with a 'u' you may find this is too much work.
You could do both [ie resit and take A2] if you want to finish your A level this year. However with a 'u' you may find this is too much work.

perhaps it is too much work, and its risky as well.... i need to be prepared well for my resit

"To score an A* in an Edexcel International A level you must:
-get an A grade for your overall International Advanced Level
-produce a high level performance at International A2 - scoring at least 90% of the A2 UMS marks."

i found this on the pearson edexcel website. what are ums marks and why do i need to score 90% in A2 only to get an A*....when AS is equally important ....and theres no mention of scoring in AS ...why is that?

Quick Reply

Latest