The Student Room Group

Revising but not getting anywhere

Hi,
I do A level Maths, Biology , Chemistry.
So my mocks went awfully so I've started revising early. My current routine for revising Biology & Chemistry:
1. Make notes from textbook
2. Make flashcards
3. Rote learn
4. Past paper questions

However, I feel like even though I know a topic inside out, this is not translating to a good score in past paper questions. How do I improve this?
e.g - I have just learnt all of plant responses inside out, but found past paper questions on it hard and scored poorly.

Please help!!! Thanks
Thanks. Just terrified of not getting into university :/

Have you got any tips on making things stick (I don't always enjoy what i'm learning so it seems to drag)?
Also I feel as if whilst I move on to learn something new e.g - next bio topic, I'm going to forget the current one, because I can't make time to keep reviewing it :/
Thank you SO much. Your help is invaluable :smile:
1-get a plain paper
2-write everything on that topic that u remember
3-see what you dont know and learn it
4-repeat
I take bio, chem, psych and core maths but my mocks are in 3 weeks

I quite like quizlet which i use mainly for bio and psych because they have different modes of learning eg: flashcard, study, learn, test

I feel with chemistry it is quite repetitive so exam questions is the way to go and don't be afraid to ask your teacher for help, i regret not doing this in my first year because i was too nervous and worried what people would think
My teacher recommends absolutely nailing amounts of substance, bonding and atomic structure first before moving on to other topics because you can apply the bascis to pretty much every topic

he also recommends http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk
you probably need to work on exam technique! go on your exam board website and go through all the past papers, pay attention to how they word the answers, you can also find previous exam papers if you just google it(if your exam is newer so doesnt have many papers)
you can also find revision guides that have good information on exam technique, with example questions and answers!
Original post by billionaire boy
1-get a plain paper
2-write everything on that topic that u remember
3-see what you dont know and learn it
4-repeat

Original post by rehman15
I take bio, chem, psych and core maths but my mocks are in 3 weeks

I quite like quizlet which i use mainly for bio and psych because they have different modes of learning eg: flashcard, study, learn, test

I feel with chemistry it is quite repetitive so exam questions is the way to go and don't be afraid to ask your teacher for help, i regret not doing this in my first year because i was too nervous and worried what people would think
My teacher recommends absolutely nailing amounts of substance, bonding and atomic structure first before moving on to other topics because you can apply the bascis to pretty much every topic

he also recommends http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk

Original post by nintysixthousand
you probably need to work on exam technique! go on your exam board website and go through all the past papers, pay attention to how they word the answers, you can also find previous exam papers if you just google it(if your exam is newer so doesnt have many papers)
you can also find revision guides that have good information on exam technique, with example questions and answers!

Thank you all for taking time to reply :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by archibald300
Hi,
I do A level Maths, Biology , Chemistry.
So my mocks went awfully so I've started revising early. My current routine for revising Biology & Chemistry:
1. Make notes from textbook
2. Make flashcards
3. Rote learn
4. Past paper questions

However, I feel like even though I know a topic inside out, this is not translating to a good score in past paper questions. How do I improve this?
e.g - I have just learnt all of plant responses inside out, but found past paper questions on it hard and scored poorly.

Please help!!! Thanks

My motto is that failing is the best way to succeed. When I revise, I do past papers, mark them, and whatever I get wrong I make a note of. I find this is really useful as I end up getting the same questions wrong and making the same notes and eventually I know it off by heart. I say, stick to doing past papers and note the answers to what you got wrong on flashcards; and, eventually, you'll be an expert! Hope that helps :smile:
@archibald300 ask rookz for 1 to 1 revision sessions xo
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest