The Student Room Group

a level options- helppp!

i'm in yr 11 right now and am certain i will do chem and bio. i want to do 4 a levels and am trying to choose between history, art and maths for my 3rd and 4th. i'm going off the idea of doing maths more (although i know it is a very useful a level to have) but am worried by the amount of work and effort chem bio history AND art will be, especially because i don't know yet if i want to do an art related career and you don't need a level art to do a foundation art diploma in uni as you do in other subjects eg bio and chem for medicine. plus the fact that chem bio and history are some of the most time consuming and difficult subjects, i'm worried art will affect my grades in them. although i want to do art as a break from academic subjects, i know it will probably cause me more stress than the others and take more time! im so stressed with what to pick aaahhh! anyone take art and any advice on these options? like is the combination a bit weird or does it give me a good range of subjects? is it better to have all my options as the more science based subjects eg chem bio maths (even though i don't know if i want to go into science) or keep my options open with history and art (will this affect my chances of getting onto a science related course if that's what i decide to do?) also is history a lot of coursework, will i struggle managing all 4 of these choices? thank you!
If you want to do Maths A-Level, There is a lot of Physics involved now.
Just don't do art, please, just don't unless you have a REAL passion, you'll only cope with a REAL passion. Bio is content heavy, same as chem and history. Maths I've heard is enjoyable and anyone can be good at maths, some have to work harder than others but if you put in the effort there is no way you can fail. I would say maths
If you don't want to do a level maths maybe try core maths (level 3 certificate maths), it's worth an AS level and more unis are now lowering their entry requirements for students who take core maths
I know in my college either for new students this year or next, they will make core maths compulsory for anyone picking chemistry
I actually enjoy core maths and it is so useful in the real world ie: half the specification is finance (interest rates, APR, AER, taxes, NI, gross/net pay) and half is statistics (normal distribution which you do in bio, correlations, stats tests which you do in bio)
There's always core maths if you want to keep maths but don't want to take it as a whole A-Level. From experience I find History to be a very time-consuming essay based subject which requires a lot of work. However, don't let this put you off!
Why not consider only doing 3 A Levels? Universities only expect you to do 3 and you may find 4 overwhelming :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by jonathanjames
Just don't do art, please, just don't unless you have a REAL passion, you'll only cope with a REAL passion. Bio is content heavy, same as chem and history. Maths I've heard is enjoyable and anyone can be good at maths, some have to work harder than others but if you put in the effort there is no way you can fail. I would say maths

thank you! it's not that im worried i will struggle at maths (i'm doing additional maths gcse at the moment- a third of which is on the maths a level) but i just really dislike maths as a subject and am worried if i don't like it and get bored i will switch off. i'm torn as i know it will be REALLY useful to have, especially with science, but i love doing art and think it may keep my options more open in the future. do you think maths as a 4th with history chem and bio is manageable (i know it is a lot more manageable than art would be!)?
Reply 6
Original post by rehman15
If you don't want to do a level maths maybe try core maths (level 3 certificate maths), it's worth an AS level and more unis are now lowering their entry requirements for students who take core maths
I know in my college either for new students this year or next, they will make core maths compulsory for anyone picking chemistry
I actually enjoy core maths and it is so useful in the real world ie: half the specification is finance (interest rates, APR, AER, taxes, NI, gross/net pay) and half is statistics (normal distribution which you do in bio, correlations, stats tests which you do in bio)

thanks! i am more tempted to do as maths or core as a 4th rather than the whole a level so i can focus on the other 3 for the second year as they are all time consuming. i think i am more likely to do a science based degree so maths would be good but i'm just worried as or core maths will put me at a disadvantage when applying to uni compared to people who have the whole a level, especially on competitive science courses, as teachers have told me they are more likely to be picked- do u think it will put me at a disadvantage because i would much rather do core or as maths- it sounds more interesting and based off of your college it doesn't seem to matter which maths you do!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by HSennett
There's always core maths if you want to keep maths but don't want to take it as a whole A-Level. From experience I find History to be a very time-consuming essay based subject which requires a lot of work. However, don't let this put you off!
Why not consider only doing 3 A Levels? Universities only expect you to do 3 and you may find 4 overwhelming :smile:

thanks! i think i will do as or core maths but do you think with as or core maths as a 4th, history chem and bio will be manageable? i wasn't too sure about doing history- it doesn't really match my other options (although i think it's good to have an essay subject in there as i am also interested in psychology or criminal law and it will break up the science subjects) and although i enjoy it a gcse, the topics our school do at a level (communism and russia) don't sound as interesting to me! i am also better at the more science based subjects and find essays a bit harder and know they just get longer at a level. what are the essays like and how did you find them? i know they are time consuming but are they very difficult and do you think they are manageable with my other options? :smile:
Reply 8

Are you sure?! Cuz I don’t have to do core maths with my chemistry A-Level or is it something that’s going to be occurring soon!
Maths is really easy at A level
Original post by beaaaan
i'm in yr 11 right now and am certain i will do chem and bio. i want to do 4 a levels and am trying to choose between history, art and maths for my 3rd and 4th. i'm going off the idea of doing maths more (although i know it is a very useful a level to have) but am worried by the amount of work and effort chem bio history AND art will be, especially because i don't know yet if i want to do an art related career and you don't need a level art to do a foundation art diploma in uni as you do in other subjects eg bio and chem for medicine. plus the fact that chem bio and history are some of the most time consuming and difficult subjects, i'm worried art will affect my grades in them. although i want to do art as a break from academic subjects, i know it will probably cause me more stress than the others and take more time! im so stressed with what to pick aaahhh! anyone take art and any advice on these options? like is the combination a bit weird or does it give me a good range of subjects? is it better to have all my options as the more science based subjects eg chem bio maths (even though i don't know if i want to go into science) or keep my options open with history and art (will this affect my chances of getting onto a science related course if that's what i decide to do?) also is history a lot of coursework, will i struggle managing all 4 of these choices? thank you!

I’m currently in Year 11 as well I’m going to study medicine as well! 4 A-Levels to me is too much A-levels are going to be 10X harder than GCSEs there’s going to be so much content to learn especially in biology and chemistry! I’m going to be doing biology,chemistry and psychology but it’s upto you really if you can cope with it! Choose something that you really like to do except from Art that would go well with chemistry and biology. Good luck! Hope you choose the right ones you would want to study! 🤗
Original post by beaaaan
thanks! i am more tempted to do as maths or core as a 4th rather than the whole a level so i can focus on the other 3 for the second year as they are all time consuming. i think i am more likely to do a science based degree so maths would be good but i'm just worried as or core maths will put me at a disadvantage when applying to uni compared to people who have the whole a level, especially on competitive science courses, as teachers have told me they are more likely to be picked- do u think it will put me at a disadvantage because i would much rather do core or as maths- it sounds more interesting and based off of your college it doesn't seem to matter which maths you do!

Well from my knowledge, i don't think it'll be a disadvantage, in fact the government are wanting more students to take some sort of maths course after high school. Most students don't take an as level so when it comes to choosing unis and some unis look at ucas points, as maths is worth an extra 20 points which can give you an advantage from someone who has predicted grades of BBB (ucas points 120).
i know it's early but maybe start looking at unis with courses that you'd like to do; uni of manchester, uni of leeds, uni of bath, uni of kent and others accept it, actually uni of bristol allows core maths to replace your maths gcse if you didn't do as well in the summer.
Reply 12
Original post by halsx11
I’m currently in Year 11 as well I’m going to study medicine as well! 4 A-Levels to me is too much A-levels are going to be 10X harder than GCSEs there’s going to be so much content to learn especially in biology and chemistry! I’m going to be doing biology,chemistry and psychology but it’s upto you really if you can cope with it! Choose something that you really like to do except from Art that would go well with chemistry and biology. Good luck! Hope you choose the right ones you would want to study! 🤗

i know, why did they have to make a levels soooo much harder?! thank you, and good luck to you too! :h:
Reply 13
Well from my knowledge, i don't think it'll be a disadvantage, in fact the government are wanting more students to take some sort of maths course after high school. Most students don't take an as level so when it comes to choosing unis and some unis look at ucas points, as maths is worth an extra 20 points which can give you an advantage from someone who has predicted grades of BBB (ucas points 120).
i know it's early but maybe start looking at unis with courses that you'd like to do; uni of manchester, uni of leeds, uni of bath, uni of kent and others accept it, actually uni of bristol allows core maths to replace your maths gcse if you didn't do as well in the summer.

i will do, thank you!:h:
Original post by beaaaan
i know, why did they have to make a levels soooo much harder?! thank you, and good luck to you too! :h:

Ikr, Ur welcome hon!
Original post by beaaaan
thanks! i think i will do as or core maths but do you think with as or core maths as a 4th, history chem and bio will be manageable? i wasn't too sure about doing history- it doesn't really match my other options (although i think it's good to have an essay subject in there as i am also interested in psychology or criminal law and it will break up the science subjects) and although i enjoy it a gcse, the topics our school do at a level (communism and russia) don't sound as interesting to me! i am also better at the more science based subjects and find essays a bit harder and know they just get longer at a level. what are the essays like and how did you find them? i know they are time consuming but are they very difficult and do you think they are manageable with my other options? :smile:

I know a few people who do 3 A-Levels and then Core Maths and they seem to deal alright with it! I do three essay based subjects at the moment (History, English Lang and English Lit). I find the history essays to be quite difficult but I think it will be manageable as it will be your only essay based subject!
I do the communism and Russia topic for coursework and I must admit some of it is rather dry, but I would advise giving it a try :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by HSennett
I know a few people who do 3 A-Levels and then Core Maths and they seem to deal alright with it! I do three essay based subjects at the moment (History, English Lang and English Lit). I find the history essays to be quite difficult but I think it will be manageable as it will be your only essay based subject!
I do the communism and Russia topic for coursework and I must admit some of it is rather dry, but I would advise giving it a try :smile:

3 essay subjects- how do you do it?! i think i might give history a go, thank you! :smile:
Original post by beaaaan

4 A levels is completely unncessary, art is a hell of a lot of work you are taking big risks here.

would you consider a career in Arcitecture? for that you would do art, maths and any other subject. why do you want to do bio and chem? they are both very difficult subjects, chem is much harder, bio is very content heavy
Original post by beaaaan
3 essay subjects- how do you do it?! i think i might give history a go, thank you! :smile:

Haha, I'm still not sure how I do it!
Reply 19
Original post by CollectiveSoul
4 A levels is completely unncessary, art is a hell of a lot of work you are taking big risks here.

would you consider a career in Arcitecture? for that you would do art, maths and any other subject. why do you want to do bio and chem? they are both very difficult subjects, chem is much harder, bio is very content heavy

bio and chem are my favourite subjects at gcse, and the ones i consistantly get the best grades in (especially bio). i have always wanted to do biology a level, and know it's best to have 2 sciences, hence why i thought chemistry (both compliment each other, and i massively prefer chemistry to maths) if i did a science related degree, it would most likely be biology and know to get on a course, you need 2 sciences, and felt chem would be more benificial and i would enjoy it a lot more than maths! :h:
this is why i would take 4 IF i took art as if i didn't want to go into science, an essay subject like history would give me the leniency to change direction and give me more options as i would still have 3 facilitating subjects. after reading the replies though and looking into it more, i don't know whether i will do art as it seems like A LOT of work, especially as a 4th! i haven't really looked into architecture, but i heard you have to have physics (something i really dislike!)

Quick Reply

Latest