The Student Room Group

North London Turkish boy AMA

Grew up in the ends, was top of the class at school in A-Levels (although it was a crap school), and currently at a top 10 uni trying to make it in banking. Family is from Gebze near Istanbul
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
First of all wait so do you need help with anything?
Second of all congratulations
Original post by Lala143
First of all wait so do you need help with anything?
Second of all congratulations

No, why do you ask?
Also thanks, but getting good grades at A Level no longer means anything now that I started uni. We must always move on and focus on the next hurdle.
Reply 3
Because most people come here for advice or something that can be argued.
Good luck in uni :biggrin:
Original post by Lala143
Because most people come here for advice or something that can be argued.
Good luck in uni :biggrin:

Good luck in school/uni/work/whatever you’re doing
Reply 5
Thanks I'm in school!
Which ends are these
Enfield / Palm. Green ?
Original post by akbar0123
Which ends are these

Original post by The Assassin
Enfield / Palm. Green ?

Edmonton
How many times have you been stabbed
Original post by MartinF98
How many times have you been stabbed

Zero
Turkish food is delicious.
What's your fave dish?
Original post by Fazzy_77
Turkish food is delicious.
What's your fave dish?

Baklava, it’s a dessert made with pastry and syrup and nuts. It’s really unhealthy though.
Opinions on progressive reforms by Ataturk vs Erdogan now?
Original post by GGekkoM&A
Baklava, it’s a dessert made with pastry and syrup and nuts. It’s really unhealthy though.

Ooooh, I love baklava :tongue:
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
Opinions on progressive reforms by Ataturk vs Erdogan now?

I’m not an expert on the politics of turkey but I do know about the history and culture so I’ll give it a try. Obviously turkey has a tradition of secularism that other muslim majority countries don’t, and i feel that it is deeply ingrained in Turkish society to the point where even if erdogan wants to turn Turkey into Saudi Arabia with sharia law he won’t be able to since no one will be there to support it or enforce it. Obviously most Turks are religious Muslims but even the most religious ones don’t want to see it becoming a theocratic state- they, like most Christians in the US, just feel that they have been discriminated against in the past and want to have more influence. Erdogan didn’t even do that well in the elections when you consider that the liberals in turkey are split into a bunch of parties and he basically owns the right wing. So I’m not that worried for the future, this is a short term problem like Trump. I’m not worried that Turks are becoming more religious either, and to me it definitively seems that they are, because the type of Islam they follow is more moderate, they are just praying more and attending mosque more.

Erdogan has ruined press freedom and especially after the coup he’s basically become very authoritarian. I think, like trump supporters in the us, his supporters love this since they feel the press are the elite and are against him and against Turkey. I get that his supporters have valid grievances and obviously not everything he has done is bad. The hijab ban was quite ridiculous and he was right to remove it. And I’m glad that he took in many Syrian refugees and that turkey’s influence in the Muslim world is growing. But the damage he’s doing to Turkey’s institutions is unforgivable.

To be honest I know many, many people who support him, including a lot of my uncles and aunts but you’ll struggle to find any young and/or educated people who like him, just like for Trump. I think he has a huge support among Turks in Europe, including the UK, because most Turks who immigrated were from poorer backgrounds.

In concussion, I’d like to see Erodgan defeated soon and see Turkey retain its culture and moderate Islamic values and find some sort of middle ground where we protect all religious freedoms but keep the state secular. I don’t turkey to be like Saudi but I don’t want it to be like France either, where they follow a more extreme form of secularism which imo restricts religious freedom in public. I’d like to see the American style of secularism adopted, where people including politicians are free to express their religious beliefs and people are free to wear what they want in public but the state doesn’t impose any religion on anyone.
(edited 5 years ago)
I’m not an expert on the politics of turkey but I do know about the history and culture so I’ll give it a try. Obviously turkey has a tradition of secularism that other muslim majority countries don’t, and i feel that it is deeply ingrained in Turkish society to the point where even if erdogan wants to turn Turkey into Saudi Arabia with sharia law he won’t be able to since no one will be there to support it or enforce it. Obviously most Turks are religious Muslims but even the most religious ones don’t want to see it becoming a theocratic state- they, like most Christians in the US, just feel that they have been discriminated against in the past and want to have more influence. Erdogan didn’t even do that well in the elections when you consider that the liberals in turkey are split into a bunch of parties and he basically owns the right wing. So I’m not that worried for the future, this is a short term problem like Trump. I’m not worried that Turks are becoming more religious either, and to me it definitively seems that they are, because the type of Islam they follow is more moderate, they are just praying more and attending mosque more.

Erdogan has ruined press freedom and especially after the coup he’s basically become very authoritarian. I think, like trump supporters in the us, his supporters love this since they feel the press are the elite and are against him and against Turkey. I get that his supporters have valid grievances and obviously not everything he has done is bad. The hijab ban was quite ridiculous and he was right to remove it. And I’m glad that he took in many Syrian refugees and that turkey’s influence in the Muslim world is growing. But the damage he’s doing to Turkey’s institutions is unforgivable.

To be honest I know many, many people who support him, including a lot of my uncles and aunts but you’ll struggle to find any young and/or educated people who like him, just like for Trump. I think he has a huge support among Turks in Europe, including the UK, because most Turks who immigrated were from poorer backgrounds.

In concussion, I’d like to see Erodgan defeated soon and see Turkey retain its culture and moderate Islamic values and find some sort of middle ground where we protect all religious freedoms but keep the state secular. I don’t turkey to be like Saudi but I don’t want it to be like France either, where they follow a more extreme form of secularism which imo restricts religious freedom in public. I’d like to see the American style of secularism adopted, where people including politicians are free to express their religious beliefs and people are free to wear what they want in public but the state doesn’t impose any religion on anyone.

Why don’t you want Turkey to have Sharia or be an Islamic country? If you’re muslim then why don’t you believe in the Islamic laws
Original post by akbar0123
Why don’t you want Turkey to have Sharia or be an Islamic country? If you’re muslim then why don’t you believe in the Islamic laws

It’s not that I don’t believe, I think people should choose to follow and not get forced to or pressured to. You seem to imply that just because someone wants the state to remain secular that they are somehow less Muslim when that’s not the case and is very insulting. The reality is that many religious Muslims in turkey are also secular. The freedom of choice is important. I think Islam in Turkey can thrive without state imposition. Look at Christianity in the US, it is still strong despite the US being secular.

And also islam can’t be forced, the only way someone can truly be considered a Muslim is if they choose to believe. If they are a Muslim on the outside just to avoid getting killed then are they really a Muslim?
(edited 5 years ago)

Baklava is marriage material
Are you more British or Turkish

Quick Reply

Latest