The Student Room Group

01rulestown's A-Levels, and, so much more.

An attempt at an introduction

Hi there everyone!
I'm a 19 year old girl and my main focus on this forum is on English Literature (A-Levels 2019)

Looking into the past.. (GCSE result from when I was 16)

Spoiler

MY AS-Levels

Spoiler

I'm quite frankly not really sure how I felt about my AS-Levels. I recognize that it is a very bad grade. However, I'm also aware of the fact that I didn't revise as much as I should, nor did I think of what study methods were best for me. Hence that was the reason why I wasn't shocked or disappointed... I think?

It was more like.. "yeah, that makes sense. I didn't revise much".
23/1/19 Results for my prose & poetry essay.

I went to the prose classroom, sat there, did nothing, got kicked out, spent few days writing up the essay that was set as homework that day. Today, I got them back and the teacher wrote a in red big letter... "B"

I was surprised because I thought I needed to make 1 more comparison point and have more language analysis.
It took way too long to finish writing the essay. Can you guess how difficult it was for me and how long it took?

Spoiler

For my poetry ssay, my teacher said it was a C+. However, she also handed in my other poetry essay, and this time it was the timed essay that I only wrote a introduction and a paragraph for.

About the mocks that's coming up next week:
Definetely not ready. I tried to make an essay plan for the question "compare the way both authors use narrative voice in the novels" and I... HAD. NO. IDEA. WHAT. TO. WRITE. I swear I need to learn this. *sighs*

I'm not even applying to universities, and my motivation is quite low. I initially thought about taking creative writing courses (you can even see some of my writing on my wattpad. Search 01rulestown). However, I didn't really think I was going to do anything productive in universities so I decided to take a "gap year", which sounds even more unproductive. I do have good reasons to do this though as I want to focus on stuff that isn't academic. My mental state.

I sometimes wonder if my teachers think I've gone mad like Hamlet.
23/1/19 Results for my prose & poetry essay.

I went to the prose classroom, sat there, did nothing, got kicked out, spent few days writing up the essay that was set as homework that day. Today, I got them back and the teacher wrote a in red big letter... "B"

I was surprised because I thought I needed to make 1 more comparison point and have more language analysis.
It took way too long to finish writing the essay. Can you guess how difficult it was for me and how long it took?

Spoiler

For my poetry ssay, my teacher said it was a C+. However, she also handed in my other poetry essay, and this time it was the timed essay that I only wrote a introduction and a paragraph for. I think I'll get an E or D in my mocks.

About the mocks that's coming up next week:
Definetely not ready. I tried to make an essay plan for the question "compare the way both authors use narrative voice in the novels" and I... HAD. NO. IDEA. WHAT. TO. WRITE. I swear I need to learn this. *sighs*

I'm not even applying to universities, and my motivation is quite low. I initially thought about taking creative writing courses (you can even see some of my writing on my wattpad. Search 01rulestown). However, I didn't really think I was going to do anything productive in universities so I decided to take a "gap year", which sounds even more unproductive. I do have good reasons to do this though as I want to focus on stuff that isn't academic. My mental state.

I sometimes wonder if my teachers think I've gone mad like Hamlet.
Best of luck! :rave:
Trying out Cornell notes for literature revision

I’ve been pretty bad at taking notes my whole life. I usually don’t write stuff down even though I keep forcing my body to do so.

So here I am at home, trying out the Cornell note taking method. This is because I wanted to be able to learn about the narrative voices used in Frankenstein. But I didn’t know how to learn it. All I knew was that hey, this is note taking, and that I can use the internet too.

EAB49DCA-5E59-404D-9132-8D455DD4FA95.jpg.jpeg

As you can see on the top right side, it took me 1h and 7 minutes to complete this. And as you can also see, it is not actually finished. I’ve only done the note section although I need to do the cue section and the summary section.

I found it bizarre to do this note taking method because..

1) Not used to note taking anyway
2) I felt like I wasn’t really thinking before writing stuff down
3) Tbh, just overall confusion?

While I was doing the note taking, I just looked at notes from class (handouts that I didn’t fill in much, internet, etc. Then, I wrote stuff down that I kind of understood.

13 mins later....
7E9AE409-A350-4130-9A39-63AB8342E098.jpg.jpeg
Here’s the summary for the Cornell notes!

How was it?:

Well, I didn't do much thinking (probably doing this wrong) and I felt like maybe I should've done some other study methods before this. I felt as though this could be useful for trying to revise but not to learn stuff for the "first time" I think? I'm not so sure though.

Anyways, it's good that I've started trying stuff out.
(edited 5 years ago)
Generic conventions of revenge tragedy plays
I put them into a category... cuz I was like why not? (My other revision has been non-existent)

Ending
Revenger is always killed
Violent murders/blood bath in final act

Characters
Machiavellian figure
Avenger (Type 1: Minister. Type 2: Scourge)
Momentary hesitations that stops the revenger
Avenger conceals his emotions so his change of vengenance isn't lost
Feigned madness (or actual madness)
Degeneration of a once-noble protagonist

Supernatural and its existance
Spectacle for the sake of spectacle
Revenge can be prompted by a ghost

Stagecraft?
Play within a play
Soliloquies

Other
Justice through the normal channel is not an option due to corruption

I hope someone found them useful LOL
My mocks are over!! (literally)

I went into the mocks knowing I was underprepared and tbh my teachers are probably going to be dissapointed in me. (One of them might actually be quite happy though... MAYBE.)
(edited 5 years ago)
~Sunday Feb 10~

I've been feeling super super unwilling to study to the point I considered telling that to my eng lit head teacher.
So, after a week of just indulging in base desires (heh Faustus), I decided I should just sit down and look through my prose folder.
And yeah, that's all I did.
That's literally the only revision I did this week. (I prob did some homework but it was for an easier subject, not eng lit)
Good Luck for your journey. Much love. :heart:
Good news:

This is probably the first time I've ever gotten a grade D for my timed prose essay. YAY :biggrin:
(I know D isn't that impressive but hey going up a grade is still awesome. AND THAT FACT IT WAS DURING A MOCK EXAM. OKAY??)

Though I still have lots that I need to work on... :frown:
Original post by _pxmudi_
Good Luck for your journey. Much love. :heart:

Thank you!

By the way, I think I need more than luck lol
Original post by 01rulestown
Thank you!

By the way, I think I need more than luck lol

Sameee :sadnod: I think I'll need a personal magician. :laugh:
good luck :smile:
Yeah old habits do die hard. (I say this because I haven't been 'revising' or whatever.)

I suppose I should start accepting the fact that my A-Levels would be *****y and that I'll graduate my school feeling like a total... total... villain (or a bad person).

Quick Reply

Latest