The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Rejected by Cambridge, Accepted at Warwick.

(edited 5 years ago)
They will not discriminate you in any way for attending Warwick. Warwick is an amazing university, especially for Maths it is basically the next best thing outside Oxbridge.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by anonymous1231231
They will not discriminate you in any way for attending Warwick. Warwick is an amazing university, especially for Maths it is basically the next best thing outside Oxbridge.

Imperial says hi.

OP, you seem to put a lot of the blame on your school for your releatively poor grades in non-maths GCSE/A-levels. As someone who went to a terrible state-comprehensive school, you can only blame your school so far, and it's ultimately down to you to get the good grades. An E in computer science has no excuse really, anyone would have scored higher than that from self-study alone, so it's no surprise you did not get an interview at Cambridge based off of this and even with all your passion, there are just so many students applying who have got A grades.

If you achieve A*A*A at A-level and S/1 grades in STEP then I think you should take a year out and apply to Cambridge otherwise you'll have that same 'what if' feeling that I did, but if you get B's or lower again then I'd say just go to Warwick. Warwick students like to pretend that they're on par with universities that have been around a lot longer, but the reality is Warwick is just above average, with the Maths department being especially good but obviously not Oxbridge level. Also I hear they like to admit a few racists/misogynists :rolleyes:

And finally as far as applying postgrad goes, they won't discriminate.

Good luck.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 3
Given that you want to go into research, you can just apply for postgrad at Cambridge if you're so desperate to go there. You wouldn't really get the opportunity to do research at undergrad level.
My advice is, go to Warwick.
Reply 4
Original post by 1TheoryOfNumbers
Also, When applying post-graduate to Cambridge, do I have the same chances as someone else who had already studied undergraduate at Cambridge of getting in or are they biased towards already attending students.

Warwick Maths grads have a roughly 50% offer rate for MASt at Cambridge.
Reply 5
Original post by BLACKSareBETTER
School makes a big difference tbh

Doing well at an "underperforming" school is better than doing well at an outstanding school. So yes school can make a difference.
Original post by Doonesbury
Warwick Maths grads have a roughly 50% offer rate for MASt at Cambridge.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get that from?
And do you have similar stats for other universities?
Original post by 1TheoryOfNumbers
I'm pretty sure if i try I will get A* A* A* in Maths, Further Maths and Physics and a 1 or S on all 3 STEP papers (Based on my practice and past paper scores), knowing my goals and ambitions, should I take a year off and reapply to Cambridge, or will Warwick give me what I want. Also,

If you can achieve this then, by all means, go ahead and take a gap year.
The most important thing is "if".
The most common score for Cambridge maths offer holders in STEP is 3,3.
Reply 8
Original post by Rohan77642
If you don't mind me asking, where did you get that from?
And do you have similar stats for other universities?

There's a FOI.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/masters_applications_2
But it's extremely clunky so I tidied it into a spreadsheet.

Is it?
n.b. I know someone who picked Warwick despite having an offer from Oxford. That was about 5 years ago, but it was mathematics.
Is it?

Yep. https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/step_results_of_offer_holders
By an overwhelming majority, I am afraid.
Seems surprising right? Especially when you hang around tsr for too long hahha, and look at everyone getting 1's and S's
(edited 5 years ago)
There's a FOI.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/masters_applications_2
But it's extremely clunky so I tidied it into a spreadsheet.

Thanks btw.
Reply 12
Yep. https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/step_results_of_offer_holders
By an overwhelming majority, I am afraid.
Seems surprising right? Especially when you hang around tsr for too long hahha, and look at everyone getting 1's and S's

Hmm, it's the modal result but not the mean... :wink:

(I wish people would request data as an excel, it's such a faff to analyse badly formatted pdfs. smh)
Reply 13

(I wish people would request data as an excel, it's such a faff to analyse badly formatted pdfs. smh)

Thanks btw.

Was there a specific uni you wanted to see - I can check my spreadsheet...

Yeah. That's why, I didn't say average result though. I just said most common.
Was there a specific uni you wanted to see - I can check my spreadsheet...

Naa that's fine, thanks.
Thanks for the link :smile:
If you can achieve this then, by all means, go ahead and take a gap year.
The most important thing is "if".

That is really interesting, makes me feel a lot better after getting 2,3 last year. But yes I agree it is a huge if, sadly there is the pressure of the day that you simply dont have in mocks or even A level exams tbh.
Original post by tomahawker314
That is really interesting, makes me feel a lot better after getting 2,3 last year. But yes I agree it is a huge if, sadly there is the pressure of the day that you simply dont have in mocks or even A level exams tbh.

Yes. But I guess if you are a Cambridge offer holder then you would obviously studying at a pretty good place regardless so there is nothing to feel bad about. :smile:
Original post by Azeee
Imperial says hi.

OP, you seem to put a lot of the blame on your school for your releatively poor grades in non-maths GCSE/A-levels. As someone who went to a terrible state-comprehensive school, you can only blame your school so far, and it's ultimately down to you to get the good grades. An E in computer science has no excuse really, anyone would have scored higher than that from self-study alone, so it's no surprise you did not get an interview at Cambridge based off of this and even with all your passion, there are just so many students applying who have got A grades.

If you achieve A*A*A at A-level and S/1 grades in STEP then I think you should take a year out and apply to Cambridge otherwise you'll have that same 'what if' feeling that I did, but if you get B's or lower again then I'd say just go to Warwick. Warwick students like to pretend that they're on par with universities that have been around a lot longer, but the reality is Warwick is just above average, with the Maths department being especially good but obviously not Oxbridge level. Also I hear they like to admit a few racists/misogynists :rolleyes:

And finally as far as applying postgrad goes, they won't discriminate.

Good luck.

If they get B's or lower again then they can't just go to Warwick, the offer requires them to get at least A*A*A.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by LurkingMcLurk
If they get B's or lower again then they can't just go to Warwick, the offer requires them to get at least A*A*A.

Then I guess clearing is the only choice (aside from resitting in a gap year)

Quick Reply

Latest