The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi I study law and I came across this last week. You will get arrested.
Original post by Abida.etc

But do you think they would prosecute?

I’m sorry but you’re wrong. 99% unless he’s bumped into a proper jobsworth copper he won’t be arrested, only cautioned if it’s his first time.

In fact i’ve had friends who numerous times have been caught with cannabis and the police didn’t even confiscate it. Personal use really isn’t a priority issue for police anymore.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by jhandley2
I’m sorry but you’re wrong. 99% unless he’s bumped into a proper jobsworth copper he won’t be arrested, only cautioned if it’s his first time.

In fact i’ve had friends who numerous times have been caught with cannabis and the police didn’t even confiscate it. Personal use really isn’t a priority issue for police anymore.

Yep, also this for me too. If you don't try to hide it and you are honest and respectful to them, they may well turn a blind eye to the weed.
pretty sure you get arrested and fined
Let off with a caution for first offence.

Money well spent

The police really don't care that much.

My friend I feel sorry for my future in law.

No you will not get arrested. Even if it’s not your first time getting caught you won’t be arrested.

9/10 police officers will walk past you in the street while you are smoking a joint and say nothing.

If you happen to get stopped with a gram it’s a verbal warning.

You have to have 3 or 4 recordable incidents for you to actually be arrested. Even then it’s rare they will arrest you.
OP go on and test it out for us.
Reply 11
Someone makes a thread on TSR about it.
Original post by young bison
But do you think they would prosecute?

Considering you only have a small amount, probably not. But I'd rather stay safe than sorry. You never know what kind of police officer you might get. You could either get a fine or warning, it varires. But had you had more than said amount you would get arrested
Original post by jhandley2

Mate, you're right in that police officers maybe don't care as much about perosnal use of drugs and that he won't get arrested for a small amount (my bad I read it too quick) but considering the amount, whether you're dealing or producing, you will get arrested. It's just the law on those factors. But it's best to not take the risk, because you don't know what kind of police officer you might get, its gambling on whether you get a £90 fine or verbal warning.
You might get shot
You will be cautioned by the police most likely. This is if they think it’s for personal use and you don’t intend to distribute it.
Original post by Pachuco
Yep, also this for me too. If you don't try to hide it and you are honest and respectful to them, they may well turn a blind eye to the weed.

The Metropolitan Police made a Youtube video on how to do stop and seaches. Where the girl refused (don't try to hide it as you said) they later found a small pack of weed on her. I'm not sure whether they arrested her on the grounds of refusing or whether on the weed. But here's the link if you want to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v1OZqZW6vA
Mate, you're right in that police officers maybe don't care as much about perosnal use of drugs and that he won't get arrested for a small amount (my bad I read it too quick) but considering the amount, whether you're dealing or producing, you will get arrested. It's just the law on those factors. But it's best to not take the risk, because you don't know what kind of police officer you might get, its gambling on whether you get a £90 fine or verbal warning.

This dude was asking whether he will get arrested for a small amount. Regardless of what law school says, in the real world, he’s VERY likely to get a verbal warning and nothing else.. not even a fine (if it’s his first time)

I think most recreational cannabis users are prepared to take the risk of a verbal warning or small fine. It’s almost as trivial, if not less, than parking on double yellows or overstaying your parking ticket. People take these risks.
Original post by Decahedron
The police really don't care that much.

Only a select few. There are thousands of officers that ae trying their best to get these off the streets, because although I know, weed is a social drug people enjoy from time to time, the fact that there are children becoming messengers for these dealings is outrageous.

If a police officer goes by the book then yes you will be arrested, but in most cases (if not all cases) where the quantity of weed is as small as a gram they often take it off you and let you off with a caution.

Latest