The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by varshb
Hi all,

I recently had my first session with my college counsellor, and she repeatedly stressed the importance of maths and physics in my diploma subject choices (I'm doing the IB). She said that without Math HL and Physics SL (along with chem and bio HL), I don't stand a chance for Oxford, unless I have an absolutely exceptional BMAT score. Can anyone verify if maths and physics is really THAT important? I mean, I know it adds value, but I've been doing other work (volunteer work, internships, extra reading) to strengthen my Oxford application... Does any of that matter without maths or physics? Just been pretty stressed over it, so any response would be helpful!

BTW my current subjects are Chem, Bio, English at HL, Maths, French and Psychology at SL.. My IGCSE was pretty good (8A*, 1A)..

General tip: trust the uni websites, not counsellors who often don't know what they are talking about.

Oxford does not state a preference for a third science https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/requirements

Analysing the data on their website, you can see that maths somewhat correlates with a better BMAT. Physics actually correlates negatively with getting an offer, although not close to reaching statistical significance. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4201194&page=74#post69834306
Reply 21
Original post by varshb
Hi all,

I recently had my first session with my college counsellor, and she repeatedly stressed the importance of maths and physics in my diploma subject choices (I'm doing the IB). She said that without Math HL and Physics SL (along with chem and bio HL), I don't stand a chance for Oxford, unless I have an absolutely exceptional BMAT score. Can anyone verify if maths and physics is really THAT important? I mean, I know it adds value, but I've been doing other work (volunteer work, internships, extra reading) to strengthen my Oxford application... Does any of that matter without maths or physics? Just been pretty stressed over it, so any response would be helpful!

BTW my current subjects are Chem, Bio, English at HL, Maths, French and Psychology at SL.. My IGCSE was pretty good (8A*, 1A)..

That's false, Your options are good, can't you do Maths at HL instead of English? (I don't know if the IB policy changes)
Reply 22
Original post by nexttime
General tip: trust the uni websites, not counsellors who often don't know what they are talking about.

Oxford does not state a preference for a third science https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/requirements

Analysing the data on their website, you can see that maths somewhat correlates with a better BMAT. Physics actually correlates negatively with getting an offer, although not close to reaching statistical significance. https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4201194&page=74#post69834306

This 👌

Also, I didn't knew that Physics correlates negatively, does it disadvantage you or are the applicants just weaker?
Original post by WeLoveMaggie
Hello all.

Here are my GCSE results:
Biology: 8
Chemistry: 8
Physics: 8
Maths: 7
English Lang: 6
English Lit: 6
Drama: 6
Business: B

My results put me in the top 2% of the other 200 students in my year as most people got a mix of 4-5 passes I think. I go to a relatively disadvantaged school which for most of my time at that school was in need of "significant improvement" according to Ofsted. I was working at a Level 4 in Maths at the beginning of Year 11. And was getting mainly 5's in my subjects.

I'm studying Biology Chemistry and Maths with AAA as my current predicted grades (only just started Yr12)

I'm hoping to apply to study Medicine at Oxford.

what is your second options from Oxford
Reply 24
Have you done any medicine related work experience?
Original post by varshb
Hello!

I honestly breathed a sigh of relief when I saw this thread, because I have been full-speed ahead to apply for a100 at oxford for 2020 entry since I was 14 and I was thoroughly certain I was being way too overambitious and obsessive haha
I did pretty well in IGCSE (I'm an international student) with 8 A* and 1 A. I really hope that's good enough. Currently trying to survive IB.
Any advice to stay sane through the application process?

what is igcse??
Original post by Deggs_14
Have you done any medicine related work experience?

local gp?
care homes?
hostpitals?
email the doctor you go to, (look up their email) and ask for advice.
Original post by nik_med01
I might possibly apply. I applied this year and got rejected before the interview so if I don't get an offer from my next preferred university, St. Andrews, then I will reapply as I don't want to go to the other unis I've applied to, I just put them down as safe options and I think Oxford is worth another shot, esp now that I've been through the admissions process already.

Stats: 7A*s, 3A's GCSE, 4A's AS Level, 4A*s predicted grades, 6.7, 5.4, 3A BMAT

2020 entry?
Reply 28
Original post by Crow_M
That's false, Your options are good, can't you do Maths at HL instead of English? (I don't know if the IB policy changes)

Thanks, that's reassuring. I'm currently 7 months in on IB year 1 and maths SL is a 6, working towards a 7.. HL is therefore out of the question.
Reply 29
Original post by ACEdaEXAM
what is igcse??

It's like GCSE (English system of testing for 9th and 10th graders), but for international students. Stands for, International General Certificate of Secondary Education, and is a part of Cambridge International Education
Considering to reapply. To those who already know me! My stats are enough to get an interview, as previously been shortlisted before, I just need to practice my medical elaborations.
Reply 31
Original post by varshb
Thanks, that's reassuring. I'm currently 7 months in on IB year 1 and maths SL is a 6, working towards a 7.. HL is therefore out of the question.

Oh that's fair enough. If you get a solid IB score I doubt that they'd care. I mean, you have Bio and Chem so I don't see a reason for it to disadvantage you
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by Academic_Medic
Considering to reapply. To those who already know me! My stats are enough to get an interview, as previously been shortlisted before, I just need to practice my medical elaborations.

May I ask, what was your grade and work experience profile? :smile:
Reply 33
GCSE:10A*S (999 7A*s)- My ranking GCSE score was max
Predicted A levels: 4A*s (Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Physics)
AS: Mathematics A (93%)

SuperCurricular:
Nuffield Research Project (Research Associate at University for 4 weeks)
Gold Crest Award,
Gold Intermediate Biology Olympiad,
Copper Cambridge Chemistry Challenge,
Kelvin Prize Essay Competition,
RSC Analyst Chemistry Competition,
Silver British Physics Olympiad (Top 200 Nationally)
Published article in Young Scientist Journal,
Cambridge University Genetics & Medicine masterclass.
Published and co-authored a book, and a piece elsewhere.
STEM Ambassador, Student Supporter, Previously a prefect, MENSA member
National Citizen Service + Gold DofE
Big Bang Fair

Work experience and Volunteering:
12 Months Volunteering Hospital
6 months educating children on moral values
Raised donations and represented 5 Charities
1 week Haematology, registrar, consultant neurologist, various members of the MDT.
1 week GP
1 week dental practitioners
1 week pharmacy
2 weeks of teaching assistant

For your interest.

Wow. that's impressive! May I ask, do you go to a private school? (You did lots of stuff).

Did you win the £750 for the Kelvin Prize or did you receive a commendation?

Did you publish a book that was related to medicine?

Lastly, how did you manage to get so many placements?! I'm struggling to get one in Wales :frown:
Original post by Crow_M
Wow. that's impressive! May I ask, do you go to a private school? (You did lots of stuff).

Lastly, how did you manage to get so many placements?! I'm struggling to get one in Wales :frown:

I came from a humble working-class family attending an inadequately rated state comprehensive school the school is known to have a pass rate of around 50%. I took the initiative to apply to a highly reputable independent school in the country being privileged and honored to be awarded an exceptional opportunity of a 100% scholarship.

Highly commended

It was a side project associated with the University of Oxbridge which detailed an anthology of poems and short stories etc, funnily enough, the interviewer's son runs that scheme with Oxford- it was a good interview discussion.
-I have two published articles in the Young Scientist Journal, and a certified 30-page scientific report associated and commended by a University into world-leading research, currently being developed further (Involving the UK, the US, and samples were taken from Uganda).

Getting placements were difficult but I worked very hard to get them by contacting consultants and using the connections I had developed from conferences. (We have a medical society)
Reply 35
I came from a humble working-class family attending an inadequately rated state comprehensive school the school is known to have a pass rate of around 50%. I took the initiative to apply to a highly reputable independent school in the country being privileged and honored to be awarded an exceptional opportunity of a 100% scholarship.

Highly commended

It was a side project associated with the University of Oxbridge which detailed an anthology of poems and short stories etc, funnily enough, the interviewer's son runs that scheme with Oxford- it was a good interview discussion.
-I have two published articles in the Young Scientist Journal, and a certified 30-page scientific report associated and commended by a University into world-leading research, currently being developed further (Involving the UK, the US, and samples were taken from Uganda).

Getting placements were difficult but I worked very hard to get them by contacting consultants and using the connections I had developed from conferences. (We have a medical society)

Do you go to Cardiff Sixth College or what? This sounds very familiar. If not, may I ask what school is that?

Good job with the Kelvin Prize by the way, still impressive.

I'm totally speechless because I am currently doing THE SAME THING. (Except CREST and DOFE). I'm doing 7 a levels, but apart from that I'm doing exactly the same Olympiads, challenges and all that stuff.

Good job with what you've done so far, what did you get in your BMAT? I assume that you got offer from other units, are you considering to go to them?
Original post by ACEdaEXAM
2020 entry?

Yes?
Original post by Crow_M
Do you go to Cardiff Sixth College or what? This sounds very familiar. If not, may I ask what school is that?

Good job with the Kelvin Prize by the way, still impressive.

I'm totally speechless because I am currently doing THE SAME THING. (Except CREST and DOFE). I'm doing 7 a levels, but apart from that I'm doing exactly the same Olympiads, challenges and all that stuff.

Good job with what you've done so far, what did you get in your BMAT? I assume that you got offer from other units, are you considering to go to them?

Thank you , I go to an Independent school in England, I have an offer from Imperial and another at Bham.
Original post by Crow_M

My son got a couple of hospital placements by finding out the specialties he wanted and getting in touch with the secretaries. They have the ear of the consultants and are important contacts. I would wait until you're 17 (if you're not already). Ask them for an application form. You will need to be patient and charming and maybe gently persistent (if the secretary mislays the forms as one of them did)
Original post by Crow_M
I'd look at Bristol uni, it's really good as well :smile:

I am trying to get a few placements. I plan to go to some medicine masterclasses.

Maybe look on the Cambridge masterclasses website. They get booked up very quickly so ask for an alert. That way you will get to know either the day before or the day the invites are made available. The last I knew they cost £20. They consisted of some lectures by Cambridge profs and I think some hints on applying. The website will tell you more about what's involved. Take your confirmation email with you as they will want to scan it. Also no food is provided so bring a packed lunch. Alternatively there is a hotdog stand on the bridge near Queens College.

If you want an alternative, go to Cambridge Science Fesitval medical school open day. It takes place in March so look at the Festival website now and book whatever free lectures you want. We saw Dame Sally Davies give her iconic "the drugs don't work" lecture on antibiotics and it was amazing. You can visit a pharmaceutical lab, an operating theatre etc. Papworth were there one year and both my sons put on scrubs and helped with a pretend operation. There are all sorts of experiments, freebies, exhibitions etc. Although it is out of the city centre (Addenbrookes hospital), you can park in the multi-storey car park and they will refund your parking ticket. Also there is a large canteen in Addenbrookes foyer to eat at lunchtime. The medical day is always on at the weekend, so no problems missing school!

Latest

Trending

Trending