The Student Room Group

Plz answer i need help

Hi,I am in an extremely difficult position.Currently i am in YR10 and have a very prejudiced teacher who marks my work unfairly.She gives half the people the same grade as me, most of which have very basic writing skills in comparison.A famous example is when one boy used a new word in his writing.And guess what the new word was it was "WENT"and she awarded him a grade, 4 levels higher than what he was predicted for using ambitious vocabulary, this was the same grade as me!!!I was in disbelief.

The other half gets a lower grade because they genuinely can't write anything of relevance to the question. But there is always a couple of people-her favourite few-who always get higher grades despite having a low quality of written work-e.g one girl got a grade 8 for incorporating a simple sentence into her writing.

Furthermore she gives us pointless targets which don't even help us to improve our writing.Sometimes it makes me wonder if all she ever does is take a look at our name, then gives us a grade and makes up a random target.

Another one of her countless problems is that she can't teach and is highly lazy, and certainly has no knowledge of the subject herself.

I am in a desperate need of getting a high predicted grade(ideally a 9)by the end of the year on my report and i am 100% sure that this is an impossible target especially with this teacher.
Unfortunately i am stuck with her till the end of my GCSE'S and as English is a subject in which many teachers opinions vary about which grade they should give a student, there is not much i can do.I rlly want at least an 8 by the end of the yr.
I have tried talking to my teacher about it.Does any1 have any suggestions??????
(edited 5 years ago)
Can't you change your teachers, bring your parents in and maybe move your set up or down to avoid this teacher
Original post by X1PRINCE
Can't you change your teachers, bring your parents in and maybe move your set up or down to avoid this teacher

we don't have sets all our groups are mixed ability.This is mainly due to the fact that not ever1 has English in our yr at the same time.Furthermore my GCSE options are not the same as any1 else in our yr
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by anamazingperson
we don't have sets all our groups are mixed ability.This is mainly due to the fact that not ever1 has English in our yr at the same time.Furthermore my GCSE options are not the same as any1 else in our yr

Talk to your PPM, get you parents in and ask for two teachers for english, as in both to fit in the slots you'd have empty when you change teachers, if you know what I mean. If you can't do either then I really don't see a way out....change schools hahaha XD (Just kidding btw)
Original post by X1PRINCE
Talk to your PPM, get you parents in and ask for two teachers for english, as in both to fit in the slots you'd have empty when you change teachers, if you know what I mean. If you can't do either then I really don't see a way out....change schools hahaha XD (Just kidding btw)

Thanx a lot for your advice.I'll see what's possible
Original post by anamazingperson
Thanx a lot for your advice.I'll see what's possible

Also, calm down haha. You are in Year 10 doing GCSE's I'm guessing. Your predictions in GCSE's don't matter at all. You only need a upwards of 5 or 6 to get put in higher paper for Maths and science. If you're doing higher for everything and you know you are doing well achiveing the best grades, then don't worry about it. GCSE's matter not predictions, predictions are there only to let the teachers know 1. If you are good enough to do the higher papers or foundation 2. If you meet the entry requirement for your A level subjects. As long as you do well in your GCSE's it's fine. Nobody is ever in your life gonn ask you for both GCSE predictions and GCSE Grades...that's just silly. They only ask GCSE Grades (Most uni's don't even care, they care more about A level grades). I'm guessing your school teachers are just scaring you with these so called OP Prediction grades.....guess they just want you to buckle down and work and not start dropping on your school grades. (Which is kind of understandtable but a bit cruel) but my teacher back in GCSE has always said. "Cruel to be kind"

Quick Reply

Latest