The Student Room Group

What is the highest salary you can see yourself earning realistically (UK)

For me I would be lucky to earn over £32k working in the public sector jobs are so underpaid

Scroll to see replies

60-70k since I would be a CEng Mechanical engineer. But I'll try go further obviously
Reply 2
around 50-60k maybe as I hope to be a chemical engineer but who knows
I'm aspiring to get into investment banking just because I'd like to earn a lot to retire at an earlier age. I'd like to be earning about £250,000 by the time I retire. But since it's very competitive, there's no guarantee i'll get in.

But that's not stopping me from trying:h:
60-70k and I don’t think I’ll have kids so all for me 💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻
daym what careers are these in im happy with 30k
Original post by taher4946
daym what careers are these in im happy with 30k

Same here
£300,000 minimum publisher advance.
Reply 8
£40k but also doing one of the most rewarding jobs out there which is all that matters honestly.
Reply 9
Original post by ineedtorevise127
For me I would be lucky to earn over £32k working in the public sector jobs are so underpaid

I think the average salary for my course at LSE is 64k by the time I’m aged 29, so hopefully I’ll be earning that😁
Original post by Bazyli
I think the average salary for my course at LSE is 64k by the time I’m aged 29, so hopefully I’ll be earning that😁

Averages lie. I've seen Boutique Investment Banks with a 'mean' salary of £400,000, but upon further researching, I saw that the directors were earning 1-2 million pounds whilst the analysts were paid under £100,000. It still may average to a high amount, but it's not what you'd think when initially seeing this 'mean' data.

Because of this, I like looking at median figures more as I believe they're more representative since median data doesn't consider anomalies :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Infinite Series
Averages lie. I've seen Boutique Investment Banks with a 'mean' salary of £400,000, but upon further researching, I saw that the directors were earning 1-2 million pounds whilst the analysts were paid under £100,000. It still may average to a high amount, but it's not what you'd think when initially seeing this 'mean' data.

Because of this, I like looking at median figures more as I believe they're more representative since median data doesn't consider anomalies :smile:

That’s a fair point haha, LSE have a pretty detailed database for looking at graduate destinations and I can honestly say I’d love to have any of those jobs those people claim to have!
Original post by Bazyli
That’s a fair point haha, LSE have a pretty detailed database for looking at graduate destinations and I can honestly say I’d love to have any of those jobs those people claim to have!

What course are you studying and when do you graduate? Have you been networking a lot?
Reply 13
What course are you studying and when do you graduate? Have you been networking a lot?

So I’m going to study geography at LSE next year, I’m on my gap year atm and I have a full-time job at a consultancy firm. They’ve luckily agreed to me working part-time next year too. I’ve got around 30 contacts on LinkedIn, mostly from my company but I’ve also managed to secure an internship this summer at a business advisory firm this summer so hopefully I’ll make a few more contacts there🙂
Reply 14
I'm aspiring to get into investment banking just because I'd like to earn a lot to retire at an earlier age. I'd like to be earning about £250,000 by the time I retire. But since it's very competitive, there's no guarantee i'll get in.

But that's not stopping me from trying:h:

front office?
Original post by Vits1
front office?

Front Office is the only way to make over £200,000 in IB. I'm pretty sure VPs in the middle office aren't likely to make more than £170k.
Plus, I need the transferrable skills from FO to land a higher paying job at a Boutique Bank.
Original post by Bazyli
So I’m going to study geography at LSE next year, I’m on my gap year atm and I have a full-time job at a consultancy firm. They’ve luckily agreed to me working part-time next year too. I’ve got around 30 contacts on LinkedIn, mostly from my company but I’ve also managed to secure an internship this summer at a business advisory firm this summer so hopefully I’ll make a few more contacts there🙂

why would u go study geography? not finance or economics seems like a pointless degree geo
I can’t bring myself too look at the latest pay scales as it’ll just make me cry so whatever a Specialty Registrar in the NHS Earns. Sub 30 I imagine.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by SJW-
why would u go study geography? not finance or economics seems like a pointless degree geo

It still has really good employment prospects and interests me a lot more
Original post by SJW-

For Investment Banking, going to a 'target university' is more important than your degree.
I know someone who studied 'French and English' at UCL (a target IB uni) who then landed a job in investment banking. The banks mainly look for transferrable skills in applicants as they know that if you're smart, you can be taught how do the job.

Quick Reply

Latest